Topic: ADI-2 DAC with Genelec 8020D - speaker input sensitivity

Hi there,

I am using the ADI-2 DAC FS with a pair of Genelec 8020D active monitors connected with XLR cables. Auto Ref Level is set to on. I have not experimented with Loudness yet.

My Genelecs have an adjustable input sensitivity of -6, -3, 0, +2, +4 and +6 dB. I have left it at 0 dB for the time being. I noticed that the ADI-2 stays at -5dbU reference level at my listening volumes. I usually listen at low to moderate volume levels.

As an example: -70dBr is very low volume, and -50dBr is what I consider a normal listening level, and -30dBr is loud.

Should I bother with changing the input sensitivity on the Genelecs for an optimal setup?

Re: ADI-2 DAC with Genelec 8020D - speaker input sensitivity

You have to bring down the Genelecs by about 30 dB to get the best out of ADI-2.

Look here, Case 2, how to do it:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

Who!

Nice Gear!

Yikes!  -50dbr is really low, and really not optimal.   It has been determined in earlier discussions that approx -17dbr or above places your RME in it's Optimal range. ie: Best System S/N Ratio. 

For you?  I think a set of inline attenuators are a good idea. I'd be looking at Pads in the 20-30db range, and in particular, adjustable pads! 

Do a Search on this forum.  This matter has been discussed ad infinitum.   We're not telling you wrong.

In the meantime, Cue up some Music, and enjoy your nice RME set up!

Best,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thanks guys, this is good input. It sounds that the -6dB on the monitors is not enough then.  I actually got a couple of Hosa selectable 10 - 20 - 30dB XLR attenuators I bought a few years ago. It sounds like I can use those and possibly tweak a little on the monitors themselves for the final adjustments.

The Hosas will be fine.  I'm using a set now for several years with no complaints.   

Go for it!!

Curt

I have experimented a bit. Seems that 20dB on the attenuators give a more or less normal listening level at -18dBr, and pretty loud at 6dBr. I believe somewhere between -10dB and -20dB is the right setting. My attenunators are unfortunately only -20, -30 and -40dB.

Who,

Do you like the result at -18dbr?   I think you did well, and should worry no more! 

Now let's talk about the Dynamic Loudness function you haven't used yet.   Oh!  It is truly great, and ideally suited for you, who typically listens at low volumes.

Good Stuff!

Curt

May I ask... in Ref Level @+13dBu/Volume @0dBr and also @+2.5dBr what Volts does the ADI-2 DAC fs give in RCA outputs?

Thanx!

9 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-03 15:00:31)

whocarez wrote:

I have experimented a bit. Seems that 20dB on the attenuators give a more or less normal listening level at -18dBr, and pretty loud at 6dBr. I believe somewhere between -10dB and -20dB is the right setting. My attenunators are unfortunately only -20, -30 and -40dB.

You still have the 12 dB finetuning range on the Genelecs, use it.
Like:
Attenuator -10 dB.
Genelec sensitivity +6 dB.

10 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-03 16:58:46)

DomieMic65 wrote:

May I ask... in Ref Level @+13dBu/Volume @0dBr and also @+2.5dBr what Volts does the ADI-2 DAC fs give in RCA outputs?

Thanx!

+13 dBu = 5.77 V
+15.5 dBu = 7.69 V

DomieMic65 wrote:

Thanx!

Hi Domie!

Welcome back to the Kaffe Klatch!  Haven't seen you here in awhile.

Curt

12 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-03 17:05:31)

Curt962 wrote:
DomieMic65 wrote:

Thanx!

Hi Domie!

Curt

It’s “Kaffeeklatsch” if you’re refering to the German word.
Means something like “Smalltalk”, origins from the idea of older women meeting for talking older women stuff (not necessarily drinking coffee along).

Curt962 wrote:

Who,

Do you like the result at -18dbr?   I think you did well, and should worry no more! 

Now let's talk about the Dynamic Loudness function you haven't used yet.   Oh!  It is truly great, and ideally suited for you, who typically listens at low volumes.

Good Stuff!

Curt

Sure, just read about it in the manual. I guess I will start with setting the Low Vol Ref, leaving treble and bass at +7dB and see how it goes.

14 (edited by Curt962 2021-04-03 18:45:42)

Yes!   Good idea!

Refer to your User Manual, and set your Dynamic Loudness 20db BENEATH the Vol.Level you think is getting a bit loud.   There's wiggle room here, so dont feel confined to a specific value.  However?  In 2.5yrs?  i've found RME's guidance to be quite good.  Keep it Simple!

In fact?  The default Low Vol Ref Value (-35db) might be perfect for you, and you needn't do a thing.

I love it when it's so easy. smile

Curt

Edit:  Important for You to understand that "Dynamic Loudness" is not some Voodoo Audiophile BS.  Rather, Dynamic Loudness is based upon Human Auditory Science, and shouldn't be dismissed.  No more Anemic Sound as Volume is decreased.  Just because the Kids are sleeping needn't force your Sound to suck. wink

Curt962 wrote:
DomieMic65 wrote:

Thanx!

Hi Domie!

Curt

Hi there Curt!
It took ages since the attenuators of I had ordered arrived and since I am  experimenting ... with/without/to the pre/ without the pre.... you get the picture!! smile

Hey Domie!  Let's not Hi-Jack Who's thread, but it's nice to see you here once again!

Peace Out!

Curt