1 (edited by marth 2021-04-03 17:28:13)

Topic: Volume Loudness

Hi! I took the characteristics of the frequency response of the Loudness function (pic.1). Was slightly disappointed. They are far from the fletcher & munson volume curves (pic.2). I enclose the measured characteristics and curves of equal loudness. It will be good if you implement this function more closely to equal loudness curves. Now a simple tap potentiometer performs this function better. And you have a powerful digital signal processor that allows you to more accurately implement this function. Do you have such plans?
Note: machine translation is used
pic.1 https://disk.yandex.ru/i/LIJJ_pgi9rTcMw
pic.2 https://disk.yandex.ru/i/w533uwd-vdMmrA

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-03 17:41:01)

Re: Volume Loudness

Test ADI-2’s Loudness Function by practical listening and you will find it works quite well.
To set it up correctly read this:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 78#p154578

Maybe you have a miss-understanding about how to read the Fletcher-Munson curves:
For a Loudness Function the relative changes between different SPLs need to be used, not the absolute curves at certain levels.

What KaiS said.

The RME implementation of "Loudness" needs no correction.  It is a MOST Useful functionality, and I wouldn't be without it.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

KaiS wrote:

Maybe you have a miss-understanding about how to read the Fletcher-Munson curves:
For a Loudness Function the relative changes between different SPLs need to be used, not the absolute curves at certain levels.

I think I understand everything correctly. It is relative change that I mean. Look closely at the graphs, there is a completely different relative behavior. For example, when the volume is turned down more, the low frequencies appear less than the high frequencies. And here they change the same way. This is inconsistent with hearing characteristics.
It was during listening that I didn't like how this function works. In my analog power amplifier, subjectively works better.

In general, I am glad that this function is there, I have not seen anything like it in other sound interfaces. Along with the automatic output level, there are all the conditions for connecting to a direct power amplifier. But I want a more accurate implementation. , In my opinion, it is now implemented primitively.

6 (edited by pschelbert 2021-04-03 20:40:22)

Hi

Fletcher-Munson is from 1933. since then the Loudness Curces are standardized by ISO, exactly ISO226 Edition 2003. This is the current standard. I guess this is implemented by RME.

Maybe RME (MC) comments what is implemented in ADI-2Pro and ADI-2Dac.

I use Loudness via acourateconvolver (www.audiovero.de). This convolution engine has ISO226, 2003 implemented.
By the way I use RME UFX II as DAC.

You have to calibrate the reference-level in whatever implementation you use. Then it works as expecetd.

Peter

7 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-03 21:53:36)

marth wrote:
KaiS wrote:

I think I understand everything correctly. It is relative change that I mean. Look closely at the graphs, there is a completely different relative behavior. For example, when the volume is turned down more, the low frequencies appear less than the high frequencies. And here they change the same way. This is inconsistent with hearing characteristics.
It was during listening that I didn't like how this function works. In my analog power amplifier, subjectively works better.

You can adjust the amount of loudness correction in bass and treble separately.

KaiS wrote:

You can adjust the amount of loudness correction in bass and treble separately.

I understand this smile But the fact is that in the volume curves the ratio of LF and HF changes nonlinearly.

pschelbert wrote:

I use Loudness via acourateconvolver (www.audiovero.de). This convolution engine has ISO226, 2003 implemented.
Peter

Interesting, thanks! I expected to see something similar in this ADI2Pro.

Implemented by mathematical method https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral … our-signal

pschelbert wrote:

Fletcher-Munson is from 1933. since then the Loudness Curces are standardized by ISO, exactly ISO226 Edition 2003. This is the current standard. I guess this is implemented by RME.

Not at all. We added an improved version of the 'HiFi - simple analog electronics' standard, which works subjectively very nice when changing the volume level. We never said that we added one or the other exact standard.

pschelbert wrote:

I wasn't aware that Acourate can do that - impressive! But the decription is unclear, so you may be able to tell me how it works exactly:

- change the (EQ) curve respective to the currently chosen playback gain (fixed mode similar to the ADI's way of working)

- change the (EQ) curve respective to playback signal (the actual sample level in the respective frequency area). This would be the absolute real deal, as it takes the volumes of everything within the playback signal into account and processes it according to what its acoustic output level would require. Obviously this then equals a full FX processor that might make the music dynamically sound different than anything heard before, and therefore disliked (opens up the usual can of worms - yes, it is fully compensating the ear's loudness effect, but does not represent what the sound engineers heard when they mixed and mastered the playback...).

That said we think about a longer time to add such an FX ourself - make the Loudness not only work according to the VOL setting, but also the actual signal level. But then again the resources in the ADI are limited, and it would still use the existing, simple Bass/Treble scheme to do its work. We'll see.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-04 12:38:28)

MC wrote:

- change the (EQ) curve respective to playback signal (the actual sample level in the respective frequency area). This would be the absolute real deal, as it takes the volumes of everything within the playback signal into account and processes it according to what its acoustic output level would require. Obviously this then equals a full FX processor that might make the music dynamically sound different than anything heard before, and therefore disliked (opens up the usual can of worms - yes, it is fully compensating the ear's loudness effect, but does not represent what the sound engineers heard when they mixed and mastered the playback...).

That said we think about a longer time to add such an FX ourself - make the Loudness not only work according to the VOL setting, but also the actual signal level. But then again the resources in the ADI are limited, and it would still use the existing, simple Bass/Treble scheme to do its work. We'll see.

A Dynamic Loudness function would be a nice add for situations where highest fidelity isn’t the goal.
Could i.e. be useful for watching film and TV, where often the intelligibility of dialog is bad if you listen at low level.

An example of the implementation of this function in LM1036.
As done in ADI-2 Pro (measurements in the first message), it is not at all similar.
https://yadi.sk/i/0hVOSar92zdyrw

MC wrote:

Not at all. We added an improved version of the 'HiFi - simple analog electronics' standard, which works subjectively very nice when changing the volume level. We never said that we added one or the other exact standard.

Can you give the parameters of this standard?
If you look at the measurement plots I made, it seems that the bass cut was made too early.

I can not see something on that page, and I won't discuss this further, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

16 (edited by marth 2021-04-04 17:44:36)

Very sorry. Perhaps the blame of my bad English. Is it really alone I hear and see that Loudness in adi2pro is incorrect? The low-pass filter cutoff frequency is incorrect. Based on what such frequency is chosen (~ 75Hz)? This contradicts all the well-known graphics of equal volume.
Please do, at least the ability to set the cutoff frequency.
Explanatory picture https://yadi.sk/i/t_eSF4-ZsIQK0Q

17 (edited by pschelbert 2021-04-04 20:35:36)

MC wrote:
pschelbert wrote:

pschelbert wrote:

I wasn't aware that Acourate can do that - impressive! But the decription is unclear, so you may be able to tell me how it works exactly:

- change the (EQ) curve respective to the currently chosen playback gain (fixed mode similar to the ADI's way of working)

Hi

it works off a referencelevel. This referencelevel can be set manually at a certain volume level (volume knob)
The refence level means no correction is made. If the volume is lower than the reference level then the correction is made according to IS226 2003. If the volume knob is higher, than the corrections will made also according the difference to ISO226 2003.

Now how to get the reference level.

1) I use JRiver EBU R128 to level all files psychoacoustically to the same  level.
Then I play a cal-File (white noise) and calibrate the referenclevel of acourateconvolver to 85dB SPL.
So Volume knob 0dB= 85dB SPL (in acourateconvolver).

This assumes tha the mastering was made with 85dB SPL. This may be the case (for movies , SMTP standard says this), For music it may not be correct. Mastering engineers often ignore any standard!

No problem.
Acourateconvolver has an adjustment to adjust the reference level while playing +-10dB. Means the reference level can be adjusted if we go with above example from 75dB SPL to 95 dB SPL (reference level 85dB).

Okay acourateconvolver is a convolution engine capable of standard 65'000 taps (FIR filter) or more, depending on the power of the computer, sampling rate , number of channels.

Anyway.

The trick is to set a reference level on the volume knob. The user has to level all music with EBU R128 to the same level.
Calculate the EQ curve relative to this reference level observing ISO226 2003. This may be also possible with IIR filters.

So the EQ is just set to the differenc of refence levle and actual volume (voluem knob). Thsi should be pretty easy to do.

audiovero: Uli Brüggemann, the owner may have more info how it is implemented.

I just can say it works great (with my RME UFX II smile ).

Peter

18 (edited by pschelbert 2021-04-04 20:40:03)

MC wrote:
pschelbert wrote:

That said we think about a longer time to add such an FX ourself - make the Loudness not only work according to the VOL setting, but also the actual signal level.

I think no need to do for actual signal level.

It is enough to do a EQ according to the Vol setting as it does acourateconvolver.

The leveling to actual signal is easy done with EBU R128 in various software.

Peter

Check if loudness setting is correct:
Changing volume settings must not change perceived tonality, only volume.
so bass and highs stay same!

Peter

20 (edited by cyrano 2021-04-04 21:03:38)

Loudness correction isn't an exact science.

The Fletcher-Munson curve is an approximation. Not every individual has the exact same curve.

Speakers that measure flat at a certain level, aren't exactly flat anymore when the level is lower, or higher.

If you take into account those two facts, you'll realise loudness correction always will be a personal preference thing, not something that can be referenced.

The closest approximation that I'm aware of, are the DSPs in most AV receivers that adjust according to some psycho-acoustic rules. We all know these can't be used for professional audio, even if some sound very good.

And all of that is sill ignoring the elephant in the room. Room-acoustics.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

21 (edited by pschelbert 2021-04-04 21:57:57)

ISO226 2003 is an average of many psychioacoustic tests. So its the best we can generally assume.

If you want personal measurements, this is possible but I do not know any mastering engineer who does that.
In AV receivers I have not seen any reference to standards. What are the psychoacoustic rules you mention in AV receiver? Its somehow vodoo in there looks like.

Room acoustics does not play any role in this and loudness correction is not for room correction. It just compensates the nonlinear frequency response versus SPL.

At least ISO226 2003 works fine for me.

Peter

pschelbert wrote:

ISO226 2003 is an average of many psychioacoustic tests. So its the best we can generally assume.

Sure, it's useable for a lot of things. But you have to be aware it's a small error to add to all the other errors.

If you want personal measurements, this is possible but I do not know any mastering engineer who does that.

I personally don't know any mastering engineer that uses loudness correction, so that's hardly an argument, is it?

In AV receivers I have not seen any reference to standards. What are the psychoacoustic rules you mention in AV receiver? Its somehow vodoo in there looks like.

I'd like to see some facts about what these DSPs do. But the data sheets for the ICs hardly contain any real info, besides some marketing mumbo jumbo that tells us it'll sound much better. I can hear loudness correction, especially when trying to use these AV systems with other speakers than the included ones.

Unfortunately, the loudness correction in these sometimes can't be turned off.

Room acoustics does not play any role in this and loudness correction is not for room correction. It just compensates the nonlinear frequency response versus SPL.

I've never said loudness correction is part of room treatment. I can hear the negative effects of bass boost in small rooms and unfortunate setups though. So I think the room can be a reason why there's no such thing as universal loudness correction.

23 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-05 00:41:49)

cyrano wrote:

Speakers that measure flat at a certain level, aren't exactly flat anymore when the level is lower, or higher.

This is not true.
Unless you overdrive them speakers measure the same at any level.

marth wrote:

Is it really alone I hear and see that Loudness in adi2pro is incorrect? The low-pass filter cutoff frequency is incorrect. Based on what such frequency is chosen (~ 75Hz)? This contradicts all the well-known graphics of equal volume.

And I am happy it does! Whenever I am confronted with 'traditional' loudness it gives me the jitters. Example: My car has an expensive premium sound system, and it does the same as all the others out there: if you lower the volume the sound sinks into boomy grease. The exact thing that you want happens: the bass corner frequency is set much too high, it sounds shit as hell. You are forced to hear at louder volume to be able to enjoy the music/sound.

Whoever developed this failed double - because there is also zero treble boost at lower volumes, making the 'all sunk into cotton' effect even worse.

To make our own Loudness user-friendly we fixed the corner frequencies, and intentionally chose a corner frequency that makes the bass sound good at low volume levels. No matter what any official loudness curve out there says. And I dare to say with all the positive feedback we got: this decision was right.

marth wrote:

Please do, at least the ability to set the cutoff frequency.

We will check if that is possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

25 (edited by pschelbert 2021-04-05 08:25:59)

KaiS wrote:
cyrano wrote:

This is not true.

What is very nonlinear is the ear not the speakers.
Loudness is exactly to correct the perceived loudness of your ear, not the speakers.

cyrano wrote:

I personally don't know any mastering engineer that uses loudness correction, so that's hardly an argument, is it?

The reference level is ideally the level where the mastering engineer did the mixing. With calibrated reference level (SPL).
There are some who do that, for example Bob Katz (Digital Domain Mastering), Andreas Speer (Tacet). Anyway for movies its a must.

Now if you hear at that reference level there is no need for correction. If you deviate from the  reference level, mostly listening at low volume, the loudness correction keeps the tonal balance. Try and hear.

I agree in the music industry (including radio) the sound engineers do not generally observe standards (calibration of SPL etc.)

27 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-05 10:17:25)

Studio monitor level calibration to the 85 dBSPL standard is full of obstacles.

Most get lost in the selection of the test signal, reference level and measurement method.

ALL “how to” advices I found in the internet err one way or the other.

If you do it right you end up with a level that is too loud for every day music listening (or music production).

Why? The standard is simply not made for working on contemporary music, but for cinema film work, where the soundtrack has much more dynamic.

One has to determine his personal “sweet spot” normal listening level, set up a perfect sound for this level, and then use the Loudness Function based on this.

KaiS wrote:
cyrano wrote:

This is not true.

Have you ever measured any speakers?

There's a reason frequency charts need to be done at a reference level and distance, to be comparable to other's measurements.

Marketing usually deletes the references, to avoid comparability.

pschelbert wrote:
cyrano wrote:

The reference level is ideally the level where the mastering engineer did the mixing. With calibrated reference level (SPL).
There are some who do that, for example Bob Katz (Digital Domain Mastering), Andreas Speer (Tacet). Anyway for movies its a must.

They probably do, I don't know. The only studio I know that handles movie sound, is Galaxy. And they have a sort-of loudness compensation.

But...

That's not the kind of loudness compensation we're talking about here, as it is closely calibrated to the speakers and the room. Doesn't look like it's possible to implement in an audio interface, as you don't know the output chain and the room.

Now if you hear at that reference level there is no need for correction. If you deviate from the  reference level, mostly listening at low volume, the loudness correction keeps the tonal balance. Try and hear.

I agree in the music industry (including radio) the sound engineers do not generally observe standards (calibration of SPL etc.)

In broadcast, people often have to work outside of a studio, so calibration is often simply not practical.

Oh, BTW, I was hit by the security questions of the forum software again. This time, I only had to answer four questions before my post was accepted...

30 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-05 13:05:51)

cyrano wrote:
KaiS wrote:
cyrano wrote:

This is not true.

There's a reason frequency charts need to be done at a reference level and distance, to be comparable to other's measurements.

Not only have I done 1000s of speaker measurements, but even constructed speakers, built studio acoustics and so on.

If you don’t overload a speaker driver it delivers the same frequency response at any level, a fact out of reality.
Don’t believe any myth about the opposite from the internet.

Of course, the usual mini (2” or so) desktop full range speakers are easy to overload.

The most prominent overload conditions are, hitting:
• Driver excursion limit, usually in the bass.
• Voice coil temperature limit, leading to power compression or irreversible damage, often found with direct radiating tweeters.
• Structural mechanical limit, often found with soft dome tweeters.

31 (edited by pschelbert 2021-04-05 13:30:42)

KaiS wrote:

If you do it right you end up with a level that is too loud for every day music listening (or music production).

One has to determine his personal “sweet spot” normal listening level, set up a perfect sound for this level, and then use the Loudness Function based on this.

Yes, that is also my observation.

Anyway seems mixing is mostly done louder than the listening level at home. So there kicks in the need for loudness compensation.
And, yes, where the reference level is must be guessed. A rather strange thing nowadays with all the digital tools. It is never written on the label nor somewhere on the digitalmedia, may be not even known to the mastering engineer as he sets his comfortable level (whatever that is).

32 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-05 14:44:02)

pschelbert wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Yes, that is also my observation.

Anyway seems mixing is mostly done louder than the listening level at home. So there kicks in the need for loudness compensation.
And, yes, where the reference level is must be guessed. A rather strange thing nowadays with all the digital tools. It is never written on the label nor somewhere on the digitalmedia, may be not even known to the mastering engineer as he sets his comfortable level (whatever that is).

Would you listen louder then comfortable, just because the mastering engineer did?

For classical something like the original performance’s level would be “realistic”.
Again a bit uncomfortable with orchestral music, besides that no recording equals the real thing.

I listen at my comfortable level and sometimes at a level which is about real level (to my guess). On acoustic intruments this is possible, a trumpet, a violin, clarinett, piano, voice this works.
For synthetic, electronic music no clue.

So the Loundess function is usefull and would be easier to work with if the reference level would be known.

This is a principal problem, not a problem of a specific implementation of the Loundess function.

KaiS wrote:
cyrano wrote:
KaiS wrote:

This is not true.

Not only have I done 1000s of speaker measurements, but even constructed speakers, built studio acoustics and so on.

If you don’t overload a speaker driver it delivers the same frequency response at any level, a fact out of reality.

Of course, the usual mini (2” or so) desktop full range speakers are easy to overload.

• Voice coil temperature limit, leading to power compression or irreversible damage, often found with direct radiating tweeters.

It's not something I've picked up from the net, but observed, doing measurements.

It's very simple to try out: measure a speaker at 100 mW. Do the same at 10 W and see if you still get the same curve. Use 10 mW - 1W for tweeters.

It's far less noticeable with tweeters, but very apparent with large PA speakers, especially typical guitar cabinet speakers.

My guess is, it's mainly caused by spider stiffness. That's not a constant, but it varies according to excursion. Since the excursion is lower at low power, there's less mechanical resistance and that shows in the frequency curve.

But it's probably also related to magnet strength and construction. At the max excursion, the magnet force is a lot lower than in the centre.

I've discussed it with a friend, who measures speaker chassis for manufacturers. He hadn't noticed it, as most measurements are done at a 1W reference level. But he saw it too.

I don't think there's a direct relation to speaker quality. Just construction. Larger/stiffer conus speakers exhibit it way more than smaller ones.

35 (edited by Curt962 2021-04-05 16:21:09)

pschelbert wrote:

I listen at my comfortable level and sometimes at a level which is about real level (to my guess). On acoustic intruments this is possible, a trumpet, a violin, clarinett, piano, voice this works.
For synthetic, electronic music no clue.

So the Loundess function is usefull and would be easier to work with if the reference level would be known.

This is a principal problem, not a problem of a specific implementation of the Loundess function.

I'm following along in this quite interesting discussion, and believe the Pschelbert's observations/usage closely mirror those of myself  Thus it would seem to me that without a Level Normalized input, and perhaps an actual SPL measurement at the Ref Level...we are asking RME to engineer some form of Other-Worldy Magic that can Laser-Focus upon a wildly moving target much to the Amazement,and Satisfaction of all. 

Here in the Real World,

I quite like the existing Dynamic Loudness functionality, and feel it has worked well for for me over a considerable period of time. Used wisely, it is a genuine asset to our enjoyment.    Now then of course, I would never ignore an improved method of calibration!   I'll continue to follow along. 

Thanks to all for the thought-provoking discussion!

Best to All,

Curt

*Further thought:   I enjoy Dynamic Loudness for it's real purpose. ie: Maintaining a relatively uniform Tonal Quality while Vol is reduced, and my focus lies elsewhere.  I do NOT have the Volume at Mouse Levels for close listening!   My Vol. is Up, and Dynamic Loudness is nowhere to be found.

At the Dinner Table?  Vol. IS turned down, but that's hardly Critical Listening time!  Just gimme the Potatoes dammit!  smile    Dynamic Loudness could be Auto-Tuning Dusty Springfield's voice, and I may not notice. 

Just One User's Opinion...

36 (edited by ramses 2021-04-05 17:14:06)

Since my music content has been mastered to different loudness and I mostly listen to music via playlists in random order, I need some normalization of the volume. So I have the player do a volume normalization and then use the replay gain tags.

After that, the music is definitely more at an equal volume level than before and the good thing is, that you need only one setting for dynamic loudness.

It may not be the most puristic approach, but sometimes a bit of healthy pragmatism helps wink
After all the music doesn't sound worse ..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

37 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-05 16:45:45)

cyrano wrote:
KaiS wrote:
cyrano wrote:

It's not something I've picked up from the net, but observed, doing measurements.

It's very simple to try out: measure a speaker at 100 mW. Do the same at 10 W and see if you still get the same curve. Use 10 mW - 1W for tweeters.

It's far less noticeable with tweeters, but very apparent with large PA speakers, especially typical guitar cabinet speakers.

My guess is, it's mainly caused by spider stiffness. That's not a constant, but it varies according to excursion. Since the excursion is lower at low power, there's less mechanical resistance and that shows in the frequency curve.

But it's probably also related to magnet strength and construction. At the max excursion, the magnet force is a lot lower than in the centre.

I've discussed it with a friend, who measures speaker chassis for manufacturers. He hadn't noticed it, as most measurements are done at a 1W reference level. But he saw it too.

I don't think there's a direct relation to speaker quality. Just construction. Larger/stiffer conus speakers exhibit it way more than smaller ones.

There‘s a simple explanation, in line with what I told above:
At 20 Hz almost every speaker exceeds it‘s excursion limit at 10 W input power if not mounted in a totally sealed cabinet.

PA Systems use a multitude of speaker, filtered and excursion controlled to avoid the problem.

Instrument speakers, made for guitar amps, have extremely short voicecoils to achieve sensitivities of 105 dB/W and more.
So with those the overload effect is even more prominent.
For the purpose they are made this doesn‘t matter, distortion is part of their job.

I don‘t think this all matters for a lot of people here:
Loudness Function is for listening low level, where you don‘t have overload.

Plus - if a system overloads at normal (not excessive) listening level one should do something about that.
Most speakers are already quite loud (for home use) at 1 W, without overload.

Ramses,

I think we're on the same Bus regarding this matter.   Great Input!

Curt

@KaiS

The measurements were done with the speaker mounted in an infinite baffle, in an anechoic chamber, avoiding any form of overload. I also wasn't looking at the extremes of the frequency curve, but roughly between 400 and 8.000 Hz.

40 (edited by torbenscharling 2021-04-05 19:28:00)

MC wrote:

because there is also zero treble boost at lower volumes

That doesn't make any sense.

Sorry Fellas, but how did Speaker Design enter into this discussion?

RME doesn't produce speakers, so let's dispense with the un-related chatter, or move to a new thread.

Ja?

Curt

ramses wrote:

So I have the player do a volume normalization and then use the replay gain tags.

After that, the music is definitely more at an equal volume level than before and the good thing is, that you need only one setting for dynamic loudness.

I used before also replay gain in the player to precondition the volume level before entering Loudness correction. 
Now I use "EBU R128 Volume level" which is somehow the successor.

Works great.

43 (edited by marth 2021-04-10 13:43:05)

MC wrote:

Maybe it will be useful
Curves of equal loudness relative to the level of 90dB SPL, ISO-226 2003
https://yadi.sk/i/qrS3gbZIP39DhA

44 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-10 14:37:10)

marth wrote:
MC wrote:

Maybe it will be useful
Curves of equal loudness relative to the level of 90dB SPL, ISO-226 2003
https://yadi.sk/i/qrS3gbZIP39DhA

If at all, it’s relative to 85dB SPL, the standard level for studio work.

@marth
Try by yourself:
• Get a calibrated Sound Level Meter that can read EBU R-128 or LEQ, e.g. AudioTools by Andrew Smith iOS app (unweighted Leq)
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/audiotools/id325307477
• With your usual music check ADI-2’s dB Volume level, to reach 85 dB SPL.
• For ADI-2’s Loudness function set Low Vol Ref 20 dB below this level.

KaiS wrote:

If at all, it’s relative to 85dB SPL, the standard level for studio work.

You can do about 85. But little will change there, the direction is clear.

KaiS wrote:

@marth
Try by yourself:
• Get a calibrated Sound Level Meter that can read EBU R-128 or LEQ, e.g. AudioTools by Andrew Smith iOS app (unweighted Leq)
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/audiotools/id325307477
• With your usual music check ADI-2’s dB Volume level, to reach 85 dB SPL.
• For ADI-2’s Loudness function set Low Vol Ref 20 dB below this level.

Thanks for the link, helpful

47 (edited by Curt962 2021-04-11 01:25:14)

Hey All!

I think the preceding is GOOD information!   I've long Championed the Value of Dynamic Loudness, but realize that my subjective "Loud Point" will not be the same as others.

Using the 85db SPL reference is a fine way of getting every user calibrated to the same standard, and this IS the RME Methodology!   

This same 85db standard would also be applicable to the perennial question of "do I need attenuators?"

I see MUCH good here, and would surely encourage the group to follow suit.

Enjoy everyone!

Curt

@MC:  Perhaps this information might be added to the User Manual at some time?  I believe it to be very helpful.

48 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-11 12:00:59)

The 85 dB SPL RMS linear average (to name it correctly) needs practical evaluation first.
This is really loud, peaks might well be beyond 100dB!

I’m not sure this is for everyone, at least not for me.

Meanwhile:
• starting with your personal “normal” listening level,
• set up everything (like i.e. EQ) in a way that it sounds perfect for you,
• then set Low Vol Ref 20-25 dB below this level,
might yield better results.

Something to take into consideration:

Most recordings already contain some amount of loudness compensation.

E.g., if a directional microphone is placed closer than 1 m to the source, a progressive bass boost occurs the closer it’s located.
At 10 cm the boost reaches about 20 dB, the shape quite similar to the ISO equal loudness curves from the posted link above: https://disk.yandex.ru/i/qrS3gbZIP39DhA

20 dB bass boost would equal a shift down in listening level of 40 dB.