Topic: Drivers / J River playback

I have recently changed from the Sony TA-Z1HES to an Adi-2 Dac and I am impressed with the sound, functionality etc. However, I have run into an annoying problem which I believe is related to the drivers. I did not experience any issues with Sony running on same machine, software etc.

I use J River (and AIMP) for playback and I am hearing some pops and clicks on playing and stopping of tracks.

This has reduced since uninstalling the Madiface drivers (as instructed on another thread) but the pops are still there and audible in wasapi. ASIO now doesn't show as an option for some reason.

Where I could install a generic ASIO driver to see if this would be useable?
Can any J River users help with settings that might stop this annoying issue?
Anything else I can try?

Many thanks
R

2 (edited by terrys999 2021-04-05 15:35:29)

Re: Drivers / J River playback

Uninstall adi drivers.
Reboot
Reinstall MADI drivers,
It should show in river.
Select madi asio.

Make sure your not converting bitrate.
Processing off.

If your using asio usb to dac,  disable windows sound.
I had same prob.  This fixed it for me.

3 (edited by ramses 2021-04-05 15:41:23)

Arlett wrote:

This has reduced since uninstalling the Madiface drivers (as instructed on another thread) but the pops are still there and audible in wasapi. ASIO now doesn't show as an option for some reason.

Where I could install a generic ASIO driver to see if this would be useable?

Since the deinstallation of the RME MADIface ASIO driver you have no ASIO driver installed anymore.

An ASIO driver is for a specific device to support direct HW access and fully bypassing the sound system.
There is nothing like a generic ASIO driver.

Which ASIO buffersize did you configure in the RME driver settings for what sample rate ?
Did it help to increase the ASIO buffersize ?
Did you try other USB ports on your computer ?

Do you see any USB transport errors in the RME driver settings (for this you need to keep that window open) ?
See ch 21.1
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dacr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dacr_e.pdf

I do not use this player, if terrys999 says it fixed the issue for him .. try it out wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Arlett 2021-04-05 16:21:23)

Ok tried that and had the same issues... then disabled an equalizer in J River settings as suggested by Terry and it now seems to be working. Odd, why would a software equalizer cause pops? I had that clicked for use with the Sony but no need with the RME obviously. Thank you for your suggestions

Arlett wrote:

Ok tried that and had the same issues... then disabled an equalizer in J River settings as suggested by Terry and it now seems to be working. Odd, why would a software equalizer cause pops? I had that clicked for use with the Sony but no need with the RME obviously. Thank you for your suggestions

I could think of the following as a possible reason for the different behaviour:

The processing in the application needs time.
With the Sony you might have a different driver selected which has more buffers (= more time for processing).

Maybe you selected a very low ASIO buffer size so that there was not much time for the CPU to process audio in time (according to the potentially smaller buffer size).

Therefore I asked for your computer HW and the settings for ASIO buffer size.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Give ramses your settings,
If anyone can sort it for you Ramses can.

terrys999 wrote:

Give ramses your settings,
If anyone can sort it for you Ramses can.

Thanks for the flowers terrys (but I am not omniscient either.) First of all, it is only a suspicion and he can only check it himself. For me, at the moment, the only explanation I have for it.

I'd agree it is possibly a latency issue just odd I did not encounter it with the Sony. I have been using the same machine running an i7-8750H (so plenty of power), on ASIO with the same recommended J River settings.

9 (edited by ramses 2021-04-06 09:09:30)

Arlett wrote:

I'd agree it is possibly a latency issue just odd I did not encounter it with the Sony. I have been using the same machine running an i7-8750H (so plenty of power), on ASIO with the same recommended J River settings.

(*) That's why I asked for the sample rate and the ASIO buffersize set in the driver wink

Compared to other Windows audio drivers, the buffer size of an ASIO driver is adjustable and must be set high enough to give the system enough time to be able to process audio data "in time" without dropouts.

When the system is at the usual sample rate (single speed = 44.1 / 48 kHz) I would change this value to 1024 or even 2048.

When playing audio at double- (88.2/96 kHz) or quad-speed (176.4/192 kHz) these buffers will be changed automatically  according to the sample rate that is in use. For higher sample rates you need bigger buffers as more audio data needs to be processed in the same time interval. Therefore the ASIO buffer size will be doubled for double speed and doubled one more time if you play audio in quad speed.

But you need to set a "sane" initial value for the ASIO buffersize .... see again my comment (*) wink