Topic: Hissing sound, then crackling and finally mute ...

Hi,
I got a specific problem. I am not sure if it caused by bad USB ports or DAC itself. When I am using DAC, maximum usable sample rate is 384kHz, when increased, there is some hissing a popping in sound which finally results to no sound at all. It is not present for every source for music, only when playing movies or videos on the web. Next problem is caused by the sensitivity of USB cable. When I touch DAC, hissing, scrambling and popping appears which shortly results into no sound at all. I have to push USB input on remote, then turn off and on the device and sound is OK. The issue is everyday problem and I am pretty upset about it. For example when I put my phone on the desk or just lay my hands on the desk little bit tougher, problem is the same. Do you have any idea where might be a problem? I used to have problem with latency on USB ports. After new installation of W10 it is OK.

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-09 06:02:21)

Re: Hissing sound, then crackling and finally mute ...

I don’t understand this hype about higher and higher samplerates with no audio content.

No music recording microphone picks sound beyond 40 kHz, few recordings contain frequencies above 20 kHz.
It’s like running a train with 8 wagons, 7 of which are empty.
Now you put 8 more empty wagons to the train, to gain - what?

Don’t let yourself fool by the placebo effect.

To come back to your primary problem:
Did you try different, shorter, USB 2 certified cables?
This could solve the 384 kHz range.
Else switch back to 192 kHz, still double of what makes sense for audio.