Topic: FET in line mic preamps ok with UFX II and OctaMic II?

Please forgive this rudimentary question and thank you very much for any assistance you can give.

I have a UFX II and OctaMic II and wondering if it’s entirely safe to use devices with them such as the two FET devices linked below, to boost the level when utilising Dynamic Mics. Shure SM7-B, SM-57, SM-58, AKG-D550 etc.

https://www.tritonaudio.com/fethead

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_fetamp.htm#bewertung

I have little experience with the above mics in recording situations, except when using an analogue mixer at the front end, and I almost always use condenser mics on my recordings.

Hence thought it best to check with the RME experts.

Stay safe out there and thanks again!

Re: FET in line mic preamps ok with UFX II and OctaMic II?

It's safe, but you don't need them.

RME's preamps have plenty gain, even for the quietest ribbon or dynamic.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Re: FET in line mic preamps ok with UFX II and OctaMic II?

I’m very much obliged for the direct, concise and helpful replies, thank you!

I’d been testing mics that day and while the Neumann gear was working well the Shure gear really wasn’t working correctly, but I couldn’t figure out why?

Hence the question about the FET line preamp that I had seen and read about. Your clear responses made me realise no such device was needed at all, despite certain suppliers linking them together, promoting the idea they were.

Thank the Lord, the light dawned, and it struck me that the problem was a cable issue. (I use dedicated cables for specific mics and different brands or functions, with colour codes), and suddenly realised the problem was in fact the particular cable, dedicated to that Shure mic under test.

As it happens, new cable arrived from my supplier today, and so I tested everything and the Shure stuff worked brilliantly.

It’s so obvious I couldn’t see it, however, your interventions assisted me in thinking the problem through.

Thanks again!