Topic: FF 800 Please explain this

So I have had problems getting the driver to install on ANY new Mac. The only Macs my FF800it would work on has been a G5 PPC and an iMac 2010. I bought an iMac 2011 and nothing. I went back to see if it would open on the previous Macs and now nothing. So no Macs will open the Total Mix or FF settings. Maybe the FF800 is dying? Could it be the power supply? All lights power up and it seems to be operational.

Now this is what I need explained so I understand:

I plugged the FF800 into my Digital 002 console via Adat and FF400 cable and I can use ADAT inputs from FF in a PT session!!! Still no Total mix or FF settings but it sorta works. Why?

Is it a faulty FF? Why can't I access the settings/total mix?

Thank you!
Robbie

Re: FF 800 Please explain this

More details, please. Which driver are you installing and what OS version is this? Did you follow the instructions in rme.to/mace?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

iMac 2011

OSX 10.10.5 Yosemite

I have tried drivers 3.39, 3.36, 3.06 (which do you recommend)

My FF800 has Flash 2.77

Security System is set to ALLOW all programs. I tried to manually give consent to the driver but received an error.

4 (edited by rawbe 2021-04-15 15:57:27)

Could there be a problem with the FF800 unit to keep it from communicating with the driver but still work with ADAT? I am using the FF800's clock also with no problems.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25657

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by rawbe 2021-04-15 23:27:58)

Yep tried that too! Had my fingers crossed. Why would the FF800 work but not work?

I have no explanation for you, unfortunately.

I have seen the same, however.

I have a FF400 I saved from the bin. Nobody could get it to connect. Not on Windows, not on Mac. So I took it home.

I couldn't get it to connect either, at first. Not until I connected it on a G4 Powerbook with Tiger. It immediately connected. I Tried on a G5 Leopard. Worked too.

I used it like that until I tried it on an Intel Mac again, months later. Much to my amazement, it connected without issue.

My guess is, the FW port on the unit is partially defective. Using it with the G4/G5 resurrected some caps in the circuit until they were able to connect on Intel.

But that's just a guess...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...