Topic: FF 802 and Digiface USB on Windows

Hello,

I read that the ASIO driver could support up to 3 devices, however I can only use either "ASIO Fireface USB" or "ASIO MADIface USB" driver in Ableton Live. Each driver only "sees" inputs and outputs of the relevant device, so I cannot use both devices at the same time with ASIO.
Reading manuals I was under impression that this should be possible.
The TotalMIX correctly recognises interfaces and I can switch between them.

Is it possible to use those two devices at the same time with ASIO?

I wanted to add extra 8 to 16 channels @ 96kHz to Fireface and so I thought I can extend it with Digiface.

Does it require some special installation process?

Thank you for help

Re: FF 802 and Digiface USB on Windows

The ASIO drivers of FF802 and and DF USB are separate. Each one supports 3 devices within their supported range of interfaces. These are listed on the download site and the readme of the driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The ASIO drivers of FF802 and and DF USB are separate. Each one supports 3 devices within their supported range of interfaces. These are listed on the download site and the readme of the driver.

Ok thank you. I didn't see anywhere that is specifically says that one group of devices will not work with another.
In that case it looks like I purchased wrong devices as I was under impression I will be able to extend the channel count.
I need to rethink my setup.

If I get Madiface USB, is it going to work with Digiface USB as one with ASIO?

How do I sync one to another then?

I am sorry for maybe stupid questions but I don't want to end up with another interface I won't be able to use.

1. Yes, ASIO will be one device because it is the same driver for both.

2. You can't sync them, so 1. does not help - it won't work. Unless you have a MADI device that has an ADAT or optical SPDIF output that could be used to sync back to the DF USB - which will make you loose one of its inputs.

3. Using these two together you MUST have a very good USB hardware on your computer. The MF Pro takes all the resources of one USB 2 port. The DF USB must be connected to an independent second USB port (details found in the manual).

That said the change from FF802 to MF Pro is quite big. What devices had you planned to add to the MF Pro to get the former I/O capability of the 802?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2. So if I don't sync them, would they still work together? Because if I connect two converters to Digiface, there will be no connections left.

3. That should be fine

So I want to use 16 channels @ 96kHz of some specific ADAT converters for summing, plus I wanted to have some extra I/O to connect preamps or other things.

This works with FF 802, but it will only do 48kHz with that channel count.

I thought I could just connect these two 8 channel ADAT converters to Digiface instead, and use the FF 802 for the rest.

You want to use all the audio data at the same time in one computer via ASIO. Unsynced devices then cause this:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32885

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Looks like I will have to change my system completely. I have been looking around and I think I could get Digiface AVB as the centre and then get AVB switch, at least one AVB to ADAT device (to connect my 16 ADAT channels) and then some native AVB converters.

Out of curiosity - is there a table that shows which RME device work with which driver?
For example is there AVB or MADI device that will work together with FF 802 on Windows?

If you talk about ASIO then you just listed three groups that use their own driver - so no 'work together'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME