Topic: Apollo x8p trying to setup Fireface 802 as ADAT. Will pay for meal.

Hello everyone, I am trying to hook up a fireface 802 with a Apollo X8p using adat .I recently pulled the trigger on a Apple Mac mini M1 since I needed thunderbolt for my Apollo . I have a few things I need your help in. If you can help I can send over $20 bucks for your time, only if I get it up and running

2 (edited by waedi 2021-04-16 04:14:23)

Re: Apollo x8p trying to setup Fireface 802 as ADAT. Will pay for meal.

The user forum is support for free and one post is enough.
In the USB Fireface settings dialog of the 802 you select clock-mode external adat.
In Totalmix doubleclick on every fader of every hardware output for opening the channel fully.
Then in the menu Options, Options / Store current state into device, you have to store this Totalmix configuration into the device.
Page 46 ff in the user manual stand alone operation.
After this you can disconnect the 802 from the computer and connect the 802 to the Apollo with two toslink cables. The Apollo must have set the clock-mode internal.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

The user forum is support for free and one post is enough.
In the USB Fireface settings dialog of the 802 you select clock-mode external adat.
In Totalmix doubleclick on every fader of every hardware output for opening the channel fully.
Then in the menu Options, Options / Store current state into device, you have to store this Totalmix configuration into the device.
After this you can disconnect the 802 from the computer and connect the 802 to the Apollo with two toslink cables. The Apollo must have set the clock-mode internal.

I will try this

4 (edited by waedi 2021-04-16 05:33:34)

Small detail correction:
In Totalmix you have to route the signals for your situation.
The analog inputs 1/2 to the output adat 1/2 etc.
After that you store the configuration into the unit.
Keep in mind sample rate setting is to do on the Apollo.
Sample rate 44.1kHz and 48 kHz allows you to transfer 8 channel digital audio thru the adat connection.
But with doubled sample rate the channel count is half.
Only 4 channels with 96kHz and so on.

waedi wrote:

In the USB Fireface USB Setting, I can not switch the clock-mode to external ADAT.

When I click on Clock Source in clock mode fireface USB setting I only get from the following ,
-Internal
-Word Clock
-AES
-ADAT 1
-ADAT 2

I currently have it on ADAT 1 ( Sample Rate 44100 HZ, Clock Source: ADAT 1,   Current Clock ADAT1 in )

Input Status is
Input Status
World Clock: No Lock
AES:  No Clock
ADAT1:  Sync       44.1 KHz
ADAT2:  No Lock

Does this seem about right. Thanks.

Yes that looks pretty fine.

waedi wrote:

One last thing, to route my signals, you mentioned that route that Analog Hardware inputs to ADAT Hardware Outputs. Every time I change the output on the Hardware Inputs for example Analog Input 1 = ADAt 1,  Analog Input 2 = ADAT 2. Every time I change the Input it changes all channels to ADAT 1 or whichever ADAT channel I put as an Output. Hope I make sense. Thanks

isaros123 wrote:
waedi wrote:

One last thing, to route my signals, you mentioned that route that Analog Hardware inputs to ADAT Hardware Outputs. Every time I change the output on the Hardware Inputs for example Analog Input 1 = ADAt 1,  Analog Input 2 = ADAT 2. Every time I change the Input it changes all channels to ADAT 1 or whichever ADAT channel I put as an Output. Hope I make sense. Thanks

Where or how exactly do you make this change ?
It should be in Totalmix, click on the desired hardware output channel and pull up the fader of the input channel (or doubleclick the fader for let it jump up to zero.)
The idea behind is :
Route all analog inputs to adat outputs and oposite route all adat inputs to analog outputs.
Don't change the channel target by clicking into that name at the bottom of the input channels.

isaros123 wrote:

One last thing, to route my signals, you mentioned that route that Analog Hardware inputs to ADAT Hardware Outputs. Every time I change the output on the Hardware Inputs for example Analog Input 1 = ADAt 1,  Analog Input 2 = ADAT 2. Every time I change the Input it changes all channels to ADAT 1 or whichever ADAT channel I put as an Output.

That doesn't prevent you from setting the routing correctly. But if you need an easier way to understand it activate the 'Submix View' in the upper right corner.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

waedi wrote:
isaros123 wrote:
waedi wrote:

Where or how exactly do you make this change ?
It should be in Totalmix, click on the desired hardware output channel and pull up the fader of the input channel (or doubleclick the fader for let it jump up to zero.)
The idea behind is :
Route all analog inputs to adat outputs and oposite route all adat inputs to analog outputs.
Don't change the channel target by clicking into that name at the bottom of the input channels.

Thanks mate. It took me awhile to understand what you meant. It's my first time trying to hook up ADAT. Thanks for saving tons of time and getting out of your way to help. Now it's up and running. Cheers.