Topic: High pitched sound/coil whine when the screen is on.

Hi,

Recently purchased the ADI-2 Dac, great on all acounts besides one.

There is high pitched sound/coil whine when the screen is on. The sound goes away when the screen is off/darkens. Is this normal?
It's a nice screen and would ike to keep it on but the noise is annoying. Anyway to fix this?

The sound is loudest when the brightness is at 20% - 70%. It's the quietist at 80-90% but still audible.

Re: High pitched sound/coil whine when the screen is on.

I have the same issue and am wondering if this is normal. My ears are unfortunately pretty sensitive to high pitched sounds so I can hear it even through my closed back headphones when I don't have music playing.
It would be nice if there was some workaround or fix for this. A confirmation on if this is normal or something to worry about would also be nice.

3 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-04 23:44:44)

There seems to be a unit to unit variation.
This has already been reported here.
On my ADI-2 Pro there’s nothing audible, not even from zero distance.

To make sure I just did a spectrum analysis, even the analyzer didn’t show anything.
Measurement range down to -5 dBSPL, 0 dB is the threshold of (healthy) human hearing.

KaiS wrote:

To make sure I just did a spectrum analysis, even the analyzer didn’t show anything.
Measurement range down to -5 dBSPL, 0 dB is the threshold of (healthy) human hearing.

Thank you for that information. I'm just using my ADI-2 DAC only in AutoDark mode now. It's not ideal, but at least there is no constant noise coming from my unit when the display is off...

5 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-07 00:58:11)

someguyontheinternet wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Thank you for that information. I'm just using my ADI-2 DAC only in AutoDark mode now. It's not ideal, but at least there is no constant noise coming from my unit when the display is off...

To be true: I would not accept this from an RME product which has a pro-audio claim.
In studio work this would make the unit unusable.

Get it serviced or replaced.