Topic: WDM settings confusion with Fireface UFX

The version of Fireface USB Settings I use contains a 'WDM Devices' dropdown list that is not present in my User Guide so I'm a bit confused as to how to set it.

I'm using a Fireface UFX with two Steinberg MR816csx interfaces attached to the UFX via Adat.

In the WDM dropdown list I can select from 0 to 15, but What number should I select?
Should I just set it to '15' and forget about it, or could that cause problems?

I've not noticed a problem before, but I'm currently experiencing occasional loss of input signal when recording through the MR816's into the UFX and wonder if the WDM setting could be causing this.

Re: WDM settings confusion with Fireface UFX

I take it you are using asio and not wdm? If that is the case then you can set it to 0 if you don’t use it at all or 1 if you just use it for general pc use. I have mine set at 1. I’m sure I read it’s best to keep low. Especially if you don’t need wdm. Someone should be able to confirm.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Yep!
mkok is right!

@fenderchris
On WDM Devices, you can read pages 20&21 of the BF Pro FS' manual: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/bface_pro_fs_e.pdf ,
as it's the same driver!

fenderchris wrote:

I've not noticed a problem before, but I'm currently experiencing occasional loss of input signal when recording through the MR816's into the UFX and wonder if the WDM setting could be causing this.

Do you have each Steinberg connected to the UFX by using both ADAT In and Out? And the UFX 's clock source set to 'Internal'?
Are they, properly, synced? (each Steinberg set to be clocked via ADAT)

If yes, then what is your buffer setting and what sample rate are you working on?
Also, driver and firmware versions?(numbers, please)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Yes, I am using ASIO so I guess I don't need WDM. I've never really understood it and don't even know what 'WDM' means.  I've set it to '1' as suggested.

Both MR816CSX's are connected to the UFX by using both ADAT In and Out, and properly synced via ADAT.

But - the UFX 's clock source was set to 'ADAT' not 'Internal'!

After setting it to 'Internal' the problem appears to be solved.

Thank you both for your help, I very much appreciate it.

5 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-04-19 17:41:40)

You 're welcome!!

Regarding WDM devices,
WDM stands for "Windows Driver Mode". Windows, as you know, do not support ASIO, so you need a different type of driver for Windows sound or other various applications!

This is what the "WDM Devices" section of the Fireface Settings, does! You set which Inputs and Outputs are to be used by Windows.

For example, now that you have set WDM Devices to "1", you have Inputs and Outputs AN1 and AN2 available for windows.
If you open the Windows Sound Settings, you will see them available for use!
If you select the Outputs, you wiil have Windows sound through your UFX's monitors!
These will not affect you DAW's Outputs! It's just that both your DAW and Windows will be using the same Outputs!

Another use could be to set AN3/4 for your DAW's Outputs and AN1/2 for Windows' Outputs.
Then by using TMFX, you could route Software Playback 3/4(second row) to your Main Outputs, by clicking on your Main Output to select it. and raising Software Playback 3/4 channel's fader, up to the level you like!

If you set WDM Devices to "2", you will. also, have the next pair of I/O available! i.e AN3 and AN4 for Windows.
Then, it's only a matter of routing in TotalMixFX!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632