Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS with turntable

Hi all,

Pretty basic question I guess. Is it possible to connect a turntable directly to the ADI-2 DAC FS purely for listening purposes?

Thanks!

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS with turntable

Has your turntable a digital output ? A SPDIF socket ?
Otherwise, no, not possible.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks I do not have one yet but was looking at a couple of Technics or Audio Technica models which don't seem to have so will have a rethink.

4 (edited by waedi 2021-04-27 09:46:13)

Turntables have normally an analog out and the signal is very weak.
Therefor a suitable phono-preamp is needed.
Suitable to the cartrige MM or MC.

The DAC is a digital to analog stereo device.

For listening the turntable you need a pair of speakers with amp and phonopreamp.

Thanks again. I guess the easiest way would be to buy a USB turntable to connect directly to the PC which my ADI-2 is connected to? Yeah I'm new to this. smile

Easy yes but not recommended, the sound quality from USB-turntables is low.

Aye yeah tbh I was looking for the easiest way to use my PC sound setup (ADI-2 DAC FS + Arya headphones) to also listen to vinyl or plug the turntable directly into the ADI-2. I don't really have room for a separate vinyl setup at the moment. Is there something compact that I could put between the turntable and ADI-2 to make it work?

In this cas a regular USB-turntable is the easiest and cheapest way to to do it.
Depending on the model and the software it is possible or not possible to direct listen.
You may have to record the LP before listening.

Thanks for all of your help.

waedi wrote:

Easy yes but not recommended, the sound quality from USB-turntables is low.

So is the sound from turntables most of the time. ;-) USB out might be a good starting point. AT 120 something for example.

incantus wrote:

Thanks I do not have one yet but was looking at a couple of Technics or Audio Technica models which don't seem to have so will have a rethink.

The Pro-ject brand has a model with optical output.

https://www.project-audio.com/en/produc … i-digital/

Jorge

Windows 10, i7-6800K, ADI-2 Pro, Fireface UFX II

huesicos wrote:
incantus wrote:

The Pro-ject brand has a model with optical output.

https://www.project-audio.com/en/produc … i-digital/

Thanks much appreciated will check it out.

13 (edited by pschelbert 2021-04-28 21:13:59)

this issue is discussed also here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32912

Discussion is for a connection of a pickup directly to RME with Mic input (not ADI-2DAC though).

The best solution incl. audio quality for your use case is to upgrade to the ADI-2 Pro and connect a regular Phono Preamp to the analog input. I did a comparison between recorded vinyl and CD of the same song and I clearly prefer the recorded vinyl version especially if you use a higher resolution.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

15 (edited by heinzgruber 2021-05-04 10:32:50)

hi,
i'm using a Technics 1210er MKII and the phono amp Phonobox ds form Pro-ject. The amp goes in a D-A-Converter (Sonero X-AC000 for 20€) and then via S/PDIF in the ADI-2 DAC.

As far as vinyl has a max. dynamic range of 70 dB and i measured for the A-D converter 87 dB and THD 0,01, 48 kHz i think it's okay. For me it sounds good. smile