Topic: ADI-2 DAC fs on Big Sur...

Dear friends,
with MacOS Big Sur, any of the latest releases, including the latest 11.3.1, I've often problems with my RME ADI-2 DAC fs.
Machine: Macbook Pro 16 2020 (8-core i9, 32GB RAM)
Connection is via a Benq PD2710QC monitor hub (usb C to usb 3.1).

From time to time:
- while the ADI is used for webex conferences (latest webex client) the normal sound becomes corrupted, croacking (if I switch to Macbook Speakers it turns OK, if then I go back to ADI, always bad).
- often webex starts become very slow and power hungry (if I switch to internal Macbook speakers the problem gets solved), as if coreaudio driver consumes too much cpu.

Always:
- if system Audio Devices / MIDI settings are set for a Output format > 192KHz I always get a "not clean" sound: from time to time the song jumps or gets "tics"/crackilng sounds, for whatever source (Apple Music, Amazon Ultra HD, DSF files, FLAC HD files, etc.).

My installed audio devices are:
BenQ PD2710QC, Headphone, Mikme microphone, ADI-2 DAC (59740228), Brio 4K Stream Edition webcam, Macbook Pro Microphone, Macbook Pro Speakers, MJAudioRecorder, WebexMediaAudioDevice, ZoomAudioDevice.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Re: ADI-2 DAC fs on Big Sur...

I am running Big Sur 11.3.1 on Apple silicon with an M1 Mac Mini and a BenQ PD2500Q monitor.

I haven't encountered any problems with the ADI-2 DAC Fs or the RME UCX.

However, I am running both interfaces straight into the Mac Mini USB type A ports. I only have an HDMI running into my BenQ monitor with nothing else attached.

I am also using a hub from the USB Type C out from the Mac Mini but only for peripherals such as SSD drive, midi keys, midi controller, usb stick and SD cards.

I am on the latest versions as of 10th May 21 for both RME devices.

Regards

Rodders

Rme Ucx + Rme Adi-2 Dac Fs

If you have an available port I‘d try, at least temporary, to bypass the Hub and directly connect ADI-2 to the Mac.

KaiS wrote:

If you have an available port I‘d try, at least temporary, to bypass the Hub and directly connect ADI-2 to the Mac.

Yes, I'll try this route as well, as I know MacOs has often issues with some thunderbolt-connected hubs.
I'll let you know. Thanks

5 (edited by jlm70 2021-06-03 13:40:06)

Pls excuse my late reply... I had to buy other adaptors: tried 3 different connections:
(1) via "original" Benq monitor USB hub (thunderbolt enabled)
(2) via Amazon USB 3.1 USB hub
(3) via new VAVA USB 3.1+HDMI hub (without any other connected device, no monitor/hdmi connected).

No one works (and I need an interface to adapt the USB-C Macbook plug to a traditional USB-A).
Within Apple MIDI settings app the selected clock source is "DEFAULT", and I cannot change it (I thought about a potential clock problem... and I do not know if DEFAULT... uses the external/ADI clock...).

The Benq does not have Thunderbolt.

The MacBook has 4 USB-C ports. Did you try them all? They behave differently.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply, MC.

I keep on replying on this new thread, to avoid duplication:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33232