Topic: Connecting ADI-2 to iPad: (smart?) adapter alternative not working

So, just bought the ADI-2, connected it to my raspberry pi, got my streaming set up on the weekend and am pretty happy so far. Too bad there is no tidal client for Linux and I don't want to set up a room bridge as of now. So I thought: let's connect the iPad to the ADI. Since I did not want to buy that ridiculously pricey Lightning to USB 3 Camera Kit, I thought I can cheat the recommendations to buy that adapter and instead bought a USB A - USB B connector and attached it to a regular USB - Lightning cable (see picture).

Unfortunately, it does not work. iPad does not seem to recognize the DAC and I was wondering whether anyone here has any idea as to why - because I am clueless (and want to avoid paying EUR 40 for a piece of plastic).

USB A - USB B connector with lightning to USB cable

Re: Connecting ADI-2 to iPad: (smart?) adapter alternative not working

you'll need the lightning camera adaptor to connect an iOS device via USB.

https://www.apple.com/de/shop/product/M … ra-adapter

3 (edited by blaubaer 2021-05-18 21:14:30)

yes, that's what I read everywhere ... I just don't understand why. Why is my solution with the USB A - USB B adapter (see pic) not working?

(Post seems to not show the image: just right click on the broken image symbol and select "open image in new tab")

4 (edited by HenningGrote 2021-05-18 22:09:23)

My guess would be, that the USB/Lightning cable is not specified for class compliant mode, which needed for the RME ADI-2 to recognize an audio device over USB.

My iOS devices work flawlessly with my ADI-2 DAC pro fs connected via the camera adaptor.

5 (edited by KaiS 2021-05-19 00:33:27)

blaubaer wrote:

I just don't understand why. Why is my solution with the USB A - USB B adapter (see pic) not working?

Because at Apple headquarters the No. One Hit is: “...shake your money- maker...”

In fact Lightning Connector is a proprietary interface and Apple decides what they do support.

Current iPads have USB-C instead of Lightning.
A simple adapter cable works with ADI-2, but only if Apple “MFI-specified”.
Not that this does help you, but other here might want to know.

6 (edited by Curt962 2021-05-19 03:31:37)

Apple showed the World it's True Vision in 1984.

In a World of Automatons, fear not.  Father APPLE will decide what is best for you.   Simply Pay Them their price in order to maintain your place in Apple's New World Order. Do not disobey!  wink

https://youtu.be/VtvjbmoDx-I

Apple HD?  No Thanks.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

The RME user manual tells exactly what adapter is to use, no need to waste money for cheap plastic garbage.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

The Lightning port does not act as USB host port, therefore to connect external electronics you need the special adapter which includes additional circuitry (not only cheap plastic). The newer USB-C port is a fully working USB port, so only a simple cable is needed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks everyone, especially Matthias for clarifying. I did not know that - will buy the adapter then. :+1: