Topic: UFX needs service?

I use the UFX as a DA for streaming music from Tidal and now also Qobuz. There have always been small quirks with small crackles, pops, and the clock in Tidal that stops if I play something with a different sample rate. Usually also accompanied with terrible noise/track play in slow motion. I also use Audirvana, and it behaves better than Tidal app, but still some occational noise. I installed the Qobuz desktop app, and the app crashes and quits without warning when I try to play something with different samplerate. Tried a different PC, and the same problem. This PC also have Firewire, which cause the PC to restart if I change samplerate in the Qobuz app. Both PCs are a few years old, runs Win10 64bit, the one with firewire have os version 19042.630. I also put the UFX in CC-mode, but Windows responds with a message saying that "This unit can`t start". I usually plays through Audiolense Convolver, but I uninstalled this and selected ASIO UFX USB as the audio device. Deactivated antivirus, deactivated C-states, checked LatencyMon, and eveything else I could think of. I also use the UFX and the Audiolense convolver for playing vinyl. The RIAA-amp is connected to the UFX analog 1/2- input, and the Audiolense convolver runs in host-mode, with ASIO UFX USB selected as audio device. Samplerate is 96kHz, two channels input, and the convolver puts out 10 channels. This works, as far as I can tell, without the noise problem. So first I thought it must have something to do with the playback apps, but I`m not sure. I``ll appreciate any help to troubleshoot this further..

Re: UFX needs service?

Using WDM with more than one app when changing the sample rate is not possible, and some apps even fail on their own. Same when using an ASIO app together with a WDM app. ASIO will work, WDM will fail. Changing the sample rate removes all WDM devices (you can see that in the Sound control panel) and creates new ones for the new sample rate. The app that initiates the sample rate change should be ok with that, any other app also running unexpectedly gets all driver/devices removed. That will cause havoc then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks! I`m not sure I`m following you, I thought I didn`t use any WDM-devices? Both in Audirvana, Qobuz-app and Tidal-app I can choose ASIO Fireface USB as output device (non CC-mode).

I tried the CC-mode only as an attempt for trouble shooting. But I get error code: "This unit can`t start (code 10). I get the same message on two different PCs. Tried to update Windows driver, but get a message that the best driver is already installed (USB Audio 2.0).

Tidal does not support ASIO so I don't understand how you select ASIO within the Tidal app? And the UFX CC mode doesn't work under Windows.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I guess you are right, I use Jriver WDM-driver when streaming from Tidal. In Tidal I choose either Audiolense Convolver, or the internal Jriver Convolver. Both are setup with ASIO UFX USB as playback device. This doesnt work wih the Qobuz app. It plays, but the samplerate doesnt change when the source change. I can select ASIO UFX USB on the Qobuz app, but it crash, as mentioned before. Samplerate change when source change with Audirvana. I bypassed the Audiolense Convolver in Audirvana, and in just two channels I hear no noise. So it could be that there is something going on between Audiolense Convolver and Audirvana.

I had some success using VB-hifi cable / ASIO bridge between Audirvana and the UFX. Selecting the VB-hifi cable as the sound device in Audirvana, and setting up Asio bridge to send this output to Audiolense, and Audiolense sending to the UFX. I thought the noise I`ve been talkin about was gone, but it is still there. I thought this was PC-relelated, but now I found out that it comes from output #3 on the UFX. It is occational small pops, similar to dust on a stylus. Not sure how difficult it is to troubleshoot this further? I notice that there is a cluster of 12 electrolytic caps near the analog outputs. Are these known to dry out? i found some threads discussing replacing the powersupply capacitors. I might do that, though it has probably nothing to do with the problem with the #3 output.