1 (edited by dustin 2021-05-26 21:47:27)

Topic: [Solved] ADI-2 Pro audible clocking errors on AES with AES SRC on

Hi! I'm running a Schoeps AES42 mic through their AES42 to AES3 converter, into the RME. I have the SRC on and set to AES.
AES shows locked at 192 on the State Overview page, and my master clock is INT at 48kHz. I was expecting the SRC to be able to downconvert the AES3 at 192 to 48, but when I record the AES input I get a lot of typical locking error style high-frequency ticks.
I'm running the unit in CC-Mode Multichannel, and it's one of the first-gen production units without FS.
Any thoughts?

Edit: ADI-2 Pro

Edit 2: it only seems to be happening when the mic is set to 192k, RME State Overview page intermittently flashes 'AES WARNING EMPHASIS' and the white logo "Emphasis detected at AES input". I'm thinking it's a mic, digital phantom power box, or cable problem at this point. I'll add to this if I figure it out.

Dustin

Re: [Solved] ADI-2 Pro audible clocking errors on AES with AES SRC on

Indeed this has nothing to do with SRC but with 192 kHz AES/EBU not received correctly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Indeed this has nothing to do with SRC but with 192 kHz AES/EBU not received correctly.

You are correct! Turned out to be an issue with the schoeps PSD 2U AES42 to AES3 converter.

Side note: I’m taking the AES-ID on RCA from that unit to the spdif input on the ADI-2 Pro and it works perfectly! I was not expecting that smile

A box full of surprises smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Truly. The best interface I have ever owned.
I can’t believe how much is packed into this little unit.

MC wrote:

I'm sure my hands should be slapped while I write this, but: should I be using a 6dB attenuation to bring the AES3-id levels down to SPDIF levels? (1.2v/1.6mA to 0.6v/0.8mA) or can the ADI-2 Pro handle the higher voltage at the SPDIF input?

Thanks again!

7 (edited by KaiS 2021-05-28 17:38:09)

dustin wrote:
MC wrote:

I'm sure my hands should be slapped while I write this, but: should I be using a 6dB attenuation to bring the AES3-id levels down to SPDIF levels? (1.2v/1.6mA to 0.6v/0.8mA) or can the ADI-2 Pro handle the higher voltage at the SPDIF input?

No, the receiver chips have a wide range of signal levels they can work with.

BTW: the mA have nothing to do with that.
I know you calculated from the Ohms, but that’s a wrong approach.
It’s Vpp (Volts peak to peak) into 75 Ohm, 1V with AES3id and 0.5V with SPDIF.

If everything works, just leave it as it is.

KaiS wrote:
dustin wrote:
MC wrote:

No, the receiver chips have a wide range of signal levels they can work with.

BTW: the mA have nothing to do with that.
I know you calculated from the Ohms, but that’s a wrong approach.
It’s Vpp (Volts peak to peak) into 75 Ohm, 1V with AES3-id and 0.5V with SPDIF.

If everything works, just leave it as it is.

Excellent. Thank you KaiS!

The SPDIF input can also handle full AES level, 5 V peak to peak, without breaking.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The SPDIF input can also handle full AES level, 5 V peak to peak, without breaking.

Hahahahah of course it can, one unit to rule them all! Jokes aside, the ADI-2 Pro continues to blow my mind and I've had mine in use 8+ hours a day, 5+ days a week for over 3 years now.