Topic: RME Babyface Pro Fs vs ADI 2 Dac Fs

Hey rme-community,

I have a question about the difference between this two. Actually I have a beyerdynamic T1 with the babyface Pro fs and it sounds good. Have someone the babyface Pro fs and the adi 2 dac fs and can complain this two products headphone outputs? Is the adi 2 significantly better then the babyface? I know it’s very personally, but I hope someone can explain his/her experience. I hear on pc much music but will use this for multimedia (gaming, movies etc.)
Thank you for the help and sorry for my English. smile
Have a nice day.

2 (edited by ramses 2021-05-27 07:30:47)

Re: RME Babyface Pro Fs vs ADI 2 Dac Fs

If you mainly listen to music but do not record or produce yourself, then you can actually do without the connectivity of a recording interface paired with TotalMix FX / routing features of the BBF Pro FS.

In that case, I think you should opt for the ADI-2 DAC FS, which offers unparalleled quality and innovative technical features for the ultimate music enjoyment at a fair price.

Here some (from me) selected features unique to the ADI-2 DAC/Pro that may well interest you:

- D/A converter chip from AK that allows different DA filter settings if you have good enough ears to hear such nuances
- Crisp on and off switching
- Slow ramp-up of headphone volume when headphones are plugged in
- Intelligent loudness control, customizable to your listening habits so the sound doesn't flatten when turned down
- 5-band parametric equalizer (PEQ) to compensate for headphone sound peculiarities or listening deficits
- Powerful headphone outputs that can drive even high-impedance headphones with ease
- Validation of the quality of the audio playback chain end-to-end (from the player, through Windows, to the converter at the digital level) through the Bit Perfect Test, the simple playback of small .wav files (one file for each sample rate) and the subsequent indication on the display that the test was successful
- Crossfeed function according to the Bauer Binaural method to simulate the auditory impression of a normal loudspeaker setup
- DSD playback

Otherwise a combination of recording interface and ADI-2 DAC FS could also serve you well.
Then you have a recording interface like e.g. the Babyface Pro with a lot of different inputs and outputs (also Mic / Instr Inputs), TM FX, Routing capabilities paired with the unique features of the ADI-2 DAC FS for best quality and features of your monitor / phones section.

See also these blog articles that I wrote some time ago, which are related to these topics:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Sorry for the late answer and thank you very much for that detailed answer. That helps me alot.

Acutally I have a RME Babyface Pro Fs and I love it. It does all things that I need so perfect and if you understand TM FX its just great. So I use the Headphone output from it.

The features sound very nice and I like to have a EQ because the Beyerdynamic T1 has the typical beyer Peak. So I can eliminate them in theory.

But can you hear the difference so much? Is subjectively the ADI 2 so much better? I know its hard to answer but can you hear the difference very much?

I found that blog articles and they are great. I will connect the ADI 2, if I buy one, with optical cable to the babyface. Or would you rate me for USB?

Thank you ramses for all of your answers. You helped me alot and the RME Forum smile Have a nice weekend.

4 (edited by ramses 2021-05-28 15:17:43)

You're welcome Smithus and thanks for your kind comments ;-)

You need to use optical, because BBF Pro FS and ADI-2* do not share the same ASIO driver, so the access is best through the BBF Pro and then playback via ADAT/TOSLINK towards ADI-2 DAC or Pro.

Differences between these two devices pls see this sticky: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 06#p165706

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Much difference? Absolutely not. Subtle maybe but mostly suggestion and expectation bias.
Better headphones, speaker and room treatment will make 1000% more difference.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Okay then I go optical.

Thank you for your answer vinark. Okay then I wait a little bit to buy a ADI 2, I think the difference is much more. I have a Beyerdynamic Headzone before and the Headphone outputs from the Babyface are much more clearly. So I think the ADI 2 is the next big upgrade.