1 (edited by rdnzl 2021-09-05 18:34:06)

Topic: Babyface (not PRO) additional audio inputs

Hello everyone,

I need to know if I can make the Behringer UCA222 add 2 more analog inputs via spdif to my babyface.

As a total noob to the digital IOs, I was hoping I could postpone buying a Babyface pro, ie upgrading to 4 analog inputs, by using the UAC222, utilising the babyface digital in.

Although I have a spdif "Synch" showing in the babyface software UI, I can't see any audio coming in totalmix in any of the adat inputs...

So is there any hope I can make that work?

ps: I know in the macOS (which is what I use) there is the concept of aggregating several interfaces. And that works. I can have my analog inputs from the UCA222 coming in along with the ones of the babyface. But this is not want I want to do in this instance: I don't want to go through a DAW. I am not savvy enough to be honest...
What I want is to only use totalmix and have 4 analog inputs available in it.

Cheers!

2 (edited by waedi 2021-05-27 12:22:05)

Re: Babyface (not PRO) additional audio inputs

In the Fireface Usb settings program there is a checkbox SPDIF, please activate it.
May be it works but may be not.
And also the clock-mode must be set to optical input. Probably the most important point.
The user manual of the Behringer unit is useless it tells nothing at all about routing.
It says (no joke) the toslink socket transmits a SPDIF signal.
Thats it, no word from where it is.
Could be, only signal coming from computer via USB is forwarded to SPDIF out.
If the Babyface would receive a useable signal you would see it in the input channels in Totalmix.
You have to try and play around with all possible settings.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hey Waedi

waedi wrote:

>>Could be, only signal coming from computer via USB is forwarded to SPDIF out.

yes that might be it! I can test that.

4 (edited by rdnzl 2021-06-07 18:30:23)

I did it smile
I used a swissonic ad 24/192 (https://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_con … 24_192.htm), and so for about 20 quid, I have my 2 additional audio inputs smile
Also, the unit can draw its juice from USB, just like the babyface, using one of those https://www.songbirdfx.com/ with a polarity inverter.

5 (edited by rdnzl 2021-09-05 18:34:27)

Hello again,

I eventually upgraded to a babyface pro. And now I want to do the same trick and enjoy 6 analogue inputs. But for some reason, I am getting no sound from the spdif... Any ideas?

Kind Regards,
Laurent

More details, please. What does "no sound" refer to? What's connected to SPDIF?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

You need to set Clock mode to SPDIF input. Unless there is SYNC shown you won't get an input signal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME