Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition A-A. A-D. A+A-D?

Hi,
I am wondering if the 'ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition' may fit my needs - or if there is some other RME bit if kit which would be better suited?

I have been using an ADI2 DAC FS as a preamp effectively with the USB input driving my amp.
I now wish to add an analog input in the form of a balanced XLR source.

I use Ableton to make music with Native Instruments kit (very good) but the XLR source is purely analog.

So I want to potentially do three things I think;

1. Monitor the main ANALOG INPUTS via MAIN OUTPUTS in real time with volume control of the output/input.

2. Also at the same time record the ANALOG INPUTS via/TO USB.

3. Also at the same time as the above play back via/FROM USB to MAIN OUTPUTS

I get the impression that the 'ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition' could do this all but should I look at some other RME devices as well?
I have an ADI-2 DAC FS at the moment which is really great for playback from ROON and Ableton.

BR,
Milo

2 (edited by ramses 2021-06-06 08:27:15)

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition A-A. A-D. A+A-D?

Hi Milo,

if you do recording and need flexibility in routing, then I would recommend the use of a RME recording interface with TotalMix FX.
You can even combine this with your existing ADI-2 DAC. See this information here in my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

In terms of selection of recording interface...

1. Please note, better wait for this day, no quick decisions, who knows what comes next:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 05#p171205

2. Maybe my comparison excel sheet serves you well regarding product selection:
Blog Article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/
Direct Link to Excel comparison file: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … -04b-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

milonet2k wrote:

So I want to potentially do three things I think;

1. Monitor the main ANALOG INPUTS via MAIN OUTPUTS in real time with volume control of the output/input.

2. Also at the same time record the ANALOG INPUTS via/TO USB.

3. Also at the same time as the above play back via/FROM USB to MAIN OUTPUTS

1 & 3 are mutually exclusive, you cannot mix sources.
Like @ramses said, you need TotalMix capability to do things like that.

Thanks all, I will take a look at the TotalMix..

KSTR, Am I correct to think 1. is possible? Analog input to Main output with volume control?

BR & Thanks,
Milo

While TotalMix will be a life saver and guarantee lowest latency, the monitor mixing can be done within the DAW. On a good computer latency would be no problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC,
So if I understand correctly if I converted the XLR source into SPDIF format I could just use the ADI2 DAC FS I have (and monitor within a DAW)? (do you have such a device?!)

I say that as the XLR source I have (a Yamaha CP88 keyboard) isn't anything special in terms of audio output quality via XLR.

I also has a separate usb audio out with ASIO driver which I can record ok BUT I can't monitor that to the ADI2 DAC easily as both have ASIO drivers and I'm on Windows. I have tried ASIO4ALL but the latency is far too long at around 47ms. I have something like 7ms at the moment with RME and NI. It's all working great but there is an appeal to the setup on the keyboard and it's own internal samples and filters.

? = ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition would also work and would replace the ADI-2 DAC model I have I imagine.

I do want to retain the remote control and don't want to mix or record at the moment at least so I think TotalMix hardware will be overkill. Main idea is indeed monitoring one analog channel & I want to keep the ADI-2 playback for Roon etc.

BR and Thanks,
Milo

7 (edited by KSTR 2021-05-31 14:28:18)

milonet2k wrote:

Thanks all, I will take a look at the TotalMix..

KSTR, Am I correct to think 1. is possible? Analog input to Main output with volume control?

BR & Thanks,
Milo

Yes, 1 (direct monitor) and 2 (record to USB) is simultaneously possible. Set the Pro to PreAmp Mode. See manual section 17.2, and check the note below the signal flow diagram:

Note: To simplify the diagram and to maintain overview USB record is not shown. In all modes
all input signals are sent over USB to the host. In multi-channel mode three separate stereo
pairs, in stereo mode only the stereo analog input.

(bold mine)

3 is not possible at the same time, as mentioned, but you could send your USB playback to ch3/4 and mix it with ch1/2 in a small analog mixer.

EDIT: AD/DA mode also works when DA-source for ch1/2 is set to analog in and to USB for ch3/4.

EDIT2: In USB mode it can also be routed, this time the monitor out is ch3/4 and the USB out is ch1/2

So many possibilites, so easy to get lost ;-)