Topic: External inputs via AES EBU on the new ucx II

Hello,

I am musician from belgium, currently interested in the new UCX II in replacement of my scarlett 18i8. I want to have more information on those AES EBU inputs/outputs. How can I use it to connect an external preamp to the UCX II while setting the UCX II as master? Does it work the same way as ADAT (adat out of the external preamp to adat in of the audio interface for audio and adat out of the audio interface to adat in of the external preamp for synchronisation)? Can I use the RME BO-968 (https://www.thomann.de/be/rme_bo968_aes … s_166939_3) the same way as I'll do with adat?

I hope my question makes sense since my knowledge in digital audio protocols is very (very) limited

Thank in advance for your answers and have a nice day smile

P.S.: using the WC connections of the UCX II are probably out of the picture since they'll probably be used by other devices without ADAT out.

Re: External inputs via AES EBU on the new ucx II

Yes you can use it the same way as master (clock-mode internal) and connect the external preamp sync to the UCX.
But only two channels. Stereo In stereo out.
AES is one stereo channel and Adat is 4 stereo channels, this is the big difference.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Yes you can use it the same way as master (clock-mode internal) and connect the external preamp sync to the UCX.
But only two channels. Stereo In stereo out.
AES is one stereo channel and Adat is 4 stereo channels, this is the big difference.

Thanks for your answer.
Can the AES/EBU I/O provide two mono channels? What kind of external preamp could help me to achieve that (assuming that my reasoning is correct, which I kinda doubt... new territory for me^^)?

It's a stereo format. You can separately record channels, or separately monitor them in Totalmix, though.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by waedi 2021-06-07 19:24:08)

Bert Werbrouck wrote:

Thanks for your answer.
Can the AES/EBU I/O provide two mono channels? What kind of external preamp could help me to achieve that (assuming that my reasoning is correct, which I kinda doubt... new territory for me^^)?

Any preamp will work, you have to get the signal into the interface and it is available in the DAW for recording.
When the two onboard preamps are not enough, external preamps can expand your system.
My point goes to the Octamic XTC.
8 Micpres via adat into the interface.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thank you for all your helpful insights.
I am still a bit confused and thought that it might be useful to explain the setup I want to built:
- an UCX II interface connected to my laptop
- an Octamic II connected to the ADAT in of the UCX and set as slave (word clock out of the Octamic to word clock in of the UCX II)
- 4 analog preamps that will go straight in the 4 line input at the back of the UCX II

As far as I know
- the octamic II doesn't have ADAT out, it can't be set as a slave. It must be done with word clock (or AES/EBU if I'm not mistaken. I have absolutely zero experience with this so any detailed insights are welcome on this)
- I really can't think of a 2 channel preamp with AES/EBU... But it seems that the way to go is clocking via WC out to WC in of the interface.

This raises a few questions:
- Is it possible to use parallel distribution (BNC-T) to connect 2 devices to the WC in of the UCX II? For instance, the octamic II and another external pre with AES. I really don't have a clue of the do's and don't on this topic.
- Can you name a few A/D 2 channel external preamp with AES/EBU? It will be easier for me to picture how everything should work.

Bert Werbrouck wrote:

- an Octamic II connected to the ADAT in of the UCX and set as slave (word clock out of the Octamic to word clock in of the UCX II)

The OctaMic II does not have a word clock output.

In such a setup you would make the OctaMic slave to the UCX II, so UCX II word output to OctaMic II word input.

Bert Werbrouck wrote:

As far as I know the octamic II doesn't have ADAT out

Obviously it has ADAT out. You might have meant word out or ADAT input?

Bert Werbrouck wrote:

it can't be set as a slave.

It can be set as slave. It has word and AES input as sync source.

Bert Werbrouck wrote:

- Is it possible to use parallel distribution (BNC-T) to connect 2 devices to the WC in of the UCX II? For instance, the octamic II and another external pre with AES.

Sure. Word clock and distribution is also explained in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
Bert Werbrouck wrote:

The OctaMic II does not have a word clock output.

In such a setup you would make the OctaMic slave to the UCX II, so UCX II word output to OctaMic II word input.

Bert Werbrouck wrote:

As far as I know the octamic II doesn't have ADAT out

Obviously it has ADAT out. You might have meant word out or ADAT input?

Bert Werbrouck wrote:

it can't be set as a slave.

It can be set as slave. It has word and AES input as sync source.

Bert Werbrouck wrote:

- Is it possible to use parallel distribution (BNC-T) to connect 2 devices to the WC in of the UCX II? For instance, the octamic II and another external pre with AES.

Sure. Word clock and distribution is also explained in the manual.

Thanks MC, that was very clear. Of course I made a mistake: the octamic ii has no adat in tongue