Topic: Should adjusting IO/Width affect imaging?

On my system I seem to get better imaging with the IO/Width setting at .80.  Does this make sense?  Could this indicate poor speaker positioning?

Magnepan 1.7i,  Luxman 509x,  RME ADI-2 DAC,  RPI4 Streamer

2 (edited by ramses 2021-06-07 17:53:36)

Re: Should adjusting IO/Width affect imaging?

> Could this indicate poor speaker positioning?

IMHO yes
By setting it to 0.8 you narrow your stereo image towards mono (=0) and towards -1 to swapped stereo channels.

1.0 = full stereo
0.0 = mono
-1  = swapped channels

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

My system normally images well, but some symphonic pieces seem to be louder than they should be on the sides.  Setting the"Width" to .8 is making a remarkable difference.  The images around the middle are much more focused, and the performance is no longer weighted on the sides.  I hear a complete orchestra from speaker to speaker.  I just wondered if this was the intended use for this setting.

4 (edited by KaiS 2021-06-08 08:25:19)

daleberlin wrote:

My system normally images well, but some symphonic pieces seem to be louder than they should be on the sides.  Setting the"Width" to .8 is making a remarkable difference.  The images around the middle are much more focused, and the performance is no longer weighted on the sides.  I hear a complete orchestra from speaker to speaker.  I just wondered if this was the intended use for this setting.

Maybe you either:

• Listen to recordings that have a wider-than-usual stereo image.
There are two different seating orders for symphonic orchestra, the “American”, where e.g. 1st and 2nd violins sitting next to each other, and the historic “German”, where they sit on opposing sides, giving a wider image.

https://www.sso.org.sg/bravissimo/bravi … -of-sounds

• You and your speaker positions don’t built a equal-sided triangle.
The speaker base is wider than your distance to each speaker.

• The speakers are placed to close to the walls, causing strong very early reflections that smear the image.
If you can not change speaker positions, angling them in by some amount might help.

In general narrowing the stereo image with the “Width” function should only be necessary occasionally.
Reducing the “Width” parameter changes the level balance between instruments and microphones in way that might not be intended by the producers:
- Center instruments get louder on cost of the side ones.
- Spot microphones are boosted.
- The main microphone-set is lowered.
- The room reverb / ambience / “sound stage” is reduced.
- Instrument colors change due to comb-filtering.

KaiS wrote:

Maybe you either:

• Listen to recordings that have a wider-than-usual stereo image.
There are two different seating orders for symphonic orchestra, the “American”, where e.g. 1st and 2nd violins sitting next to each other, and the historic “German”, where they sit on opposing sides, giving a wider image.

https://www.sso.org.sg/bravissimo/bravi … -of-sounds

Thank you very much.  I did not know this, and it is probably what I am experiencing.  I think I will keep the adjustment for awhile, because for me, it really does sound better.  I find the flexibility of this DAC not only amazing, but very useful.

Excellent responses in this short thread.

I would simply add that its worth reflecting that the level of engineering and production experience of those involved in a recording, the equipment and methodology along with the production values in any given recording one listens to, can create huge differentials in quality and listening experience.

The microphone choice and placement, whether spot mics are used or not, all these affect the quality and depth of the sound stage as do floor standing mic booms or a suspended mic array. Naturally, the budget available to the producers these days also has a drastic impact on every aspect of production.

Decca Trees, Jecklin Discs (baffle between mics) A B Stereo Pair, X Y Stereo Pair, O R T F Stereo, Blumlein set up, whether additional spots are used or not. On one of my recordings, a binaural dummy head microphone was placed at the rear of the Concert Hall, to capture the audiences listening perspective.

Here’s the point, because production values can vary so much, rather than adjusting width for each and every recording; perhaps if everything was left at its default, one could appreciate the quality or lack of quality of any production more fully. In this way, know whose productions to purchase and who’s not to.

Hence, by not adjusting anything, I would probably learn and understand more and appreciate more about the reality of the recordings, than if I constantly tried to second guess the producers, and change their recordings to better accord with values I held in my mind about how everything should ideally sound.

Certain instruments live at the sides of an Orchestra. Changing width may well augment particular instruments but may well mask other instruments.

I’m not suggesting it’s wrong to do that listening for your pleasure, just that ultimately, it may prove to be a zero sum game.