Topic: clean DSD files

Most DSD (DOP) files show a crackling noise between tracks. Is there a way to 'clean' up those files?

2 (edited by ning 2021-07-23 20:09:45)

Re: clean DSD files

yes. add 1 sec dsd silence (0x69) to the end of each track will solve the issue.

note: the above trick should work well if your music is faulty --- not muting to silence before the end of a track, and adding silence will mitigate the pop to great extent. the other reason for those pops may due to your dop signature pattern is lost during a track change. in this case you'll see the overview screen suddenly change from dsd to pcm and change back to dsd. if this is the case, your software is buggy. changing to a software that can handle dop correctly will resolve this issue.

Do you think it is worth the fuss? I think I'll stay with the pcm counterparts.

4 (edited by ning 2021-07-24 05:00:40)

john34 wrote:

Do you think it is worth the fuss? I think I'll stay with the pcm counterparts.

You are right. Dsd is a stupid format. Especially for ADI-2 as you will lose all dsp capabilities

Moreover if you are playing with volume attenuation it’s actually converted to PCM anyway.

I think PCM will be the norm for digital audio .....

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

6 (edited by bejoro 2021-07-24 07:40:26)

I have learned that DSD to PCM conversion is not a trivial task, there are different (simple/higher quality) ways to convert DSD to PCM.

Is there a recommended software (Windows, Linux) to convert DSD files to PCM (flac) with high quality?

Are the differences between conversion methods, like DAC integrated, different software algorithms really audible?

Edit: I have used JRiver MC. It is supposed to use a good algorithm. But I wonder if there is a better way or is even necessary.

Of course I know the blog of Archimago's Musings:
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/04/ … -sacd.html

But what do the professionals think about that or use?

bejoro wrote:

I have learned that DSD to PCM conversion is not a trivial task, there are different (simple/higher quality) ways to convert DSD to PCM.

Is there a recommended software (Windows, Linux) to convert DSD files to PCM (flac) with high quality?

Are the differences between conversion methods, like DAC integrated, different software algorithms really audible?

Edit: I have used JRiver MC. It is supposed to use a good algorithm. But I wonder if there is a better way or is even necessary.

Of course I know the blog of Archimago's Musings:
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/04/ … -sacd.html

But what do the professionals think about that or use?

The best would be Hqplayer or the pro version which encodes to offline files .
I use it all the time.

bejoro wrote:

I have used Xrecode3 for this, which can rip CDs and transcode, resample, etc. etc. also convert into PCM from DSD and vice versa.

https://xrecode.com/

JRiver MC will convert any format. Its a $50 piece of software and an excellent player. Asio/wasapi/wdm++ support. Foobar will probably do the same..

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

MPD will be able to convert DSD to PCM on the fly, and it's free of charge.