Topic: Firmware Update While Using with a Streamer (Not PC or Apple)

Forgive my lack of knowledge on these matters.  I have done some reading in the manual, but did not want to spend too much time on that until I actually have decided to become an RME owner.

I am strongly considering purchasing the ADI-2 DAC and will be using a streamer (Bluesound Node 2i)as the input device and not a PC or Apple computer.  Am I correct in assuming that to update the firmware for the device, I would have to connect the ADI-2 DAC to my PC by USB cable temporarily?  It appears I would have to download the RME ADI-2 DAC driver to my PC just to be able to update the firmware on the DAC.  Is this correct?  Other than updating the firmware, is there any other reason that I would have to use my PC to configure anything on this DAC?

2 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-26 01:27:07)

Re: Firmware Update While Using with a Streamer (Not PC or Apple)

Mr.Mullen,

You understand correctly.  In your Set-Up, indeed the only time there is any physical connection between PC and DAC is during FW updates.  You DO need the RME Driver installed to perform the periodic FW updates, but that's an easy task.

The Rest of the time?  Your PC is "somewhere else"...not wired to anything except the AC Mains.  Just like mine.  All "configurations, etc" are performed at the DAC itself.

That's it!!

Get your RME ordered, and make plans now for a lot of enjoyable listening!

Best,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Curt,

Thank you so much for your prompt and complete answer.  I really appreciate you taking the time.  I am strongly leaning toward this product, since it is widely reported to have a "neutral" sound signature.  I am hoping that it will allow me to get a bit more detail (especially in the upper end), since my Parasound P6 preamp and Parasound A21+ amp tend toward the warm side of things. Now all I need to do is scrape the $ together and convince my wife!

VR,

Mark

4 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-26 02:35:57)

Mark,

LEAN!!!   Full-On Olympic Style!

Indeed, WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is a major consideration, but my Finanz Frau went for it, and Green-Lighted the purchase some years ago, and has NEVER ONCE disputed the choice of the RME.

The ADI-2 DAC brings SO many capabilities to your Listening Room.  If you'd like...I COULD go on ad infinitum, but it will only take a few hours of use for you to discover that the RME is a Multi-Talented Performer, that only makes you want to listen more!

That's VALUE my friend!!

Best to You,

Curt

Late Edit: 

Mark, Welcome to the Forum.  Thank You for asking US first!!

You will find here, a very helpful group of RME Users from around the Globe!  That alone gives the RME a "specialness" that no one else can offer.  Let's not forget that the Forum gives us direct access straight to the Top!   The RME Company President, and Chief Design Engineer sees each, and every posting here.  If we're not handling matters to his satisfaction, MC will step in, and ensure all is well.

In all Truthfulness, this ADDS to the ownership experience.  Trust Me!

Do it!!

Curt (yep)

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes