1 (edited by Sk123 2021-08-07 23:33:17)

Topic: Noob Help With ADI 2 Pro FS B

Hello,

I have bought the above just for a headphone Dac and Amp combo after reading lots of positive about it on another forum. I needed info on how to go about as I feel stuck.

I have upgraded from Asus Essence STX II soundcard and for the soundcard there's software where you can tweak the sound out of a couple options available, and they change the sound dynamics ginormously.

https://www.google.com/search?q=asus+st … QvL0H6YvkM

above is the program for my soundcard and my settings were: 8 channels - 192 Khz sample rate, Headphones (HD6xx), than there's no tick mark on SPIDF Out and 7.1 Virtual speakers, but tick on Dolby Headphones.

On the right side of the pic, there's a controller (gaming) mode, and next to it Hifi mode.  The "gaming" mode is what I listen to 99% in music and elsewhere, and very rarely ever switch to 'Hifi' because the Hifi isn't nearly as nice sounding as the "gaming" mode.  The 'music' mode is the worst with way too much 'room' created in the phones while gaming was just perfect, and 'hifi' sounded too dark with like almost half the details missing from the track.

Right now, my Adi 2 pro sounds just like the Hifi mode on my soundcard, except its even more compressed sound.  Now I needed to know please, is there a software that utilizes the listening experience with different modes just like the Asus Stx II soundcard?

The only two software I am able to find and download are DIGIcheck and MADIface from the RME website.

Please help me figure out how can I make changes in audio settings so my unit doesn't produce compressed and dark sound, instead it should be open and multi-channel/surround sound kinda way, just like the Asus software.

the upgrade is from a $200 Usd unit to a $2000 Usd unit, and I hope I made the right choice.  I am just stuck atm and require a noob friendly presets that can help me play around with the options available with this device.  Thank you for your assist!

Re: Noob Help With ADI 2 Pro FS B

Also, just noticed the unit is extremely hot to touch on the surface.  I haven't owned any external Dacs/amps, is this normal?

I dont know if it has tubes inside for the amp, I've read somewhere before that tubes of the amps get hot when they are running.  Please update, I hope its not some serious fault in the unit.

3 (edited by ramses 2021-08-08 12:57:47)

Hi Sk123,

welcome to the RME User Forum.

Intro

Sorry for the wall of text, but this is so far the best and more complete info that I can give you on this topic so that you get a good intro/start into the whole thematic. Normally using the ADI-2 Pro is plug and play everything important like e.g. routing of audio is done automatically depending on whether you plug it to USB or not etc ... So in theory you only need to turn the volume and B/T knobs to adjust the sound to your taste and requirements of the music material.
The ASIO driver is recommended to be installed as this offers the most trouble free audio support without the impact of the Windows audio system and a few other things, see below/later.

Assumption

From your description I assume that due to the long listening with the old solution, where the gaming mode and the setting for Dolby Surround shaped / changed the sound a lot, your listening habits have also changed and you first have to get used to normal sound again. Maybe by this you additionally have to face the sound representation of your phones and that there might be something that you miss. Potentially the reason why you used the electronic sound shaping features of yur Asus card (which is definitively not the original / normal HiFi sound).

This was also the case for me after I replaced my over 30 years old very bass-heavy HiFi speakers with much better ones.

You can be sure that with the ADI-2 Pro you have purchased a really acknowledged very good device that can even hold its own with mastering engineers in the class of much more expensive devices. You can also have a look at this converter shootout of a german mastering engineer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHG32aXBDY and also download the original WAV files (as Youtube manupulates audio files) and compare the original wav files.
There the ADI-2 Pro plays against devices in the ~€6000-8000 class, which are even specialized in A/D (so no D/A) and then also do not offer the many possibilities of the ADI-2 Pro. I do not want to belittle the established studio devices in any way, but simply give you a certain dimension that you get here for a fair price an outstanding engineering performance / solution and a fantastic sound.

The MADIface driver is the ASIO driver that comes with the device. After the installation of it you can use it for applications that support ASIO e.g. MusicBee Player or Foobar2000 (with ASIO plugin). This driver is also needed for firmware updates through USB and if you want to use the DIGIcheck audio analysis tools.

Blog Article as little Intro about the device

Maybe you want to read my blog article about ADI-2 Pro / DAC which gives a nice overview about the devices:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ses-EN-DE/

Do not miss to read the manual

The manual of the ADI-2 Pro R BE is a treasure chest of useful information. You do not need to understand everything fully right frm the beginning, but it will be extremely helpful to know what information you can find where.
Its starts with more general and important / useful information and next goes more and more into details.
I can tell you from own experience .. it's always good to know what information is included. So give it some time to discover the nice features, that are included.

Check the settings of output channels

As I mentioned already it could be the case that your listening habit have changed over time, but there is also another possibility, that you maybe erraneously changed ettings in the ADI-2 Pro, that have big impact to the sound. They are there for mastering engineers to make some checks on the sound, but nothing for regular listening.

Check for each of the outputs, that you use (AN1/2, AN3/4) that
- Mono is OFF
- Width is set to 1.0
- M/S-Proc is OFF
- Phase Invert is OFF
- Crossfeed is OFF
- DE-Emphasis is set to Auto
- Dual EQ is OFF
- Dim is OFF
You find these settings under
- I/O -> Main Output 1/2 -> Settings
- I/O -> Phones Out 3/4 -> Settings

Next I would also check, that Parametric EQ and (dynamic-) Loudness is off.

Use Remap Key function to be able to quickly toggle between original / EQd sound

It makes also sense to use the Remap Keys funktion to bind the function to disable all EQing to one of the four front buttons to enable for for quick A/B comparisons between original and EQ'd sound. Under this category falls B/T controls, PEQ and dynamic loudness. You find this under Options -> SPDIF / Remap keys -> EQ(3) set to "EQ+B/T+Ld 1-4"
The original function of the EQ key you get by pressing it a little longer, a short push toggles EQing on/off quickly for all of your outputs (AN1/2, AN3/4).

You can have a look at this other blog article that I wrote, which other remap key functions are useful for me. Please ignore the integration with a RME recording interface, which is out of scope for your setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

I just updated the article so that you can see the latest Remap Key settings that I am using:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2805-RME-ADI-2-Pro-AE-DAC-Integration-into-your-setup-v6-jpg/

Also for switching between phones and active monitors, because my phones are permanently plugged, normally the ADI-2 Pro automatically discovers that you plug-in phones and mutes the AN1/2 and does a slow ramp-up of volume.

To sum up
Ok .. so at this point I showed you how to get lossless sound, how to check this by using the Bittest (see also manual), how you can ensure proper settings on the ADI-2 Pro per output channel and how to A/B test sound with/without EQing.

Well and now we are at a point where you can use the full strength of the ADI-2 Pro to get a more tasteful sound by using B/T for quick adjustments of Bass/Treble for your phones or to use even the PEQ to make adjustments to fix certain deficites of your headphone in certain frequency ranges.

Give it time to accomode to the original sound

First I would ensure to accomodate to a more pure sound and maybe use only B/T controls to adjust to the recordings, not more, because if you listen to music of different eras and style you will notice, that the mastering engineers followed more or less the taste of that era so that you might need to adjust Bass/Treble quickly to compensate that a little.

Dynamic Loudness

Next point is to understand the merits of dynamic loudness and to set it correctly, that you get a dynamic Bass/Treble compensation on lower volumes so that the sound doesn't flatten out if your are hearing more silently. One of the real killer features of the ADI-2 Pro/DAC.

PEQ

And then finally you can check whether you get recommendations from this or other forums to adjust the sound of your phones using the PEQ that it might also sound better for your ears .. but beware, things like this need careful tweaking because everybody has different ears and there might also be production differences, that two different phones do not exactly sound the same.

Temperatures

Don't worry about the temperature, if its getting hot it shows that heat is dissipated out of the case, that good.
But please ensure that there is enough room on top of the device so that the hot air does not accumulate.
Also on the bottom of the device take care that air can flow around the device.

Have fun and enjoy your new ADI-2 Pro, it is an incredible good and versatile unit :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Sk123 2021-08-08 19:03:18)

Hi ramses,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply.  I am going through all the steps that you have identified, and if there's any more confusion,, will be sure to post it on here.

Just fyi, I purchased this unit used, and it's just a couple months old.

The main phones jack, ph 3/4 isnt working so I am connected to the right jack.  I have only been able to start playing with this dac since yesterday so I still have lots to discover about this unit.

For the jack 3/4 I have tried muting and unmuting but it didn't make a difference.  Just the right jack seems to be working.  The individual that sold me this unit says both jacks worked and he was using them prior to selling me this.

Check for each of the outputs, that you use (AN1/2, AN3/4) that
- Mono is OFF
- Width is set to 1.0
- M/S-Proc is OFF
- Phase Invert is OFF
- Crossfeed is OFF
- DE-Emphasis is set to Auto
- Dual EQ is OFF
- Dim is OFF
You find these settings under
- I/O -> Main Output 1/2 -> Settings
- I/O -> Phones Out 3/4 -> Settings

I went through this list and it is exactly as you have stated.

This doesn't seem right, it shouldn't sound dark and compressed.

What headphones are you using?

Try a full reset, hold down the volume knob and the top encoder knob while you turn the device on.

Have a look at page 29 of the user guide https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2profsr_e.pdf

6 (edited by Sk123 2021-08-08 20:13:54)

walto wrote:

This doesn't seem right, it shouldn't sound dark and compressed.

What headphones are you using?

Try a full reset, hold down the volume knob and the top encoder knob while you turn the device on.

Have a look at page 29 of the user guide https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2profsr_e.pdf

I have HD6xx.  By dark and compressed, I just mean to say that this dac/amp sounded pretty basic and did not blow me away.  It sounds exactly how it sounds on the Hifi mode on my Asus Stx II soundcard, and almost never ever turn on that mode, just once in months would try listening on the Hifi mode for a change and turn back to "gaming" mode in no time.  These two modes sound entirely different to one another, like two completely different sound signature.  I am missing so much detail and headroom right now, and that's what I was trying to correct.

I tried resetting this dac by pressing vol and right knobs at the same time, it didn't work yet.  Does it give a message or something that it's set to factory setting? So I press the both knobs down and than power on at the same time, didn't seem to make any difference or show any messages.

Also, on previous soundcard, I had it set on 8 channels, I didn't discover yet how can I change channels on this unit, that could be contributing to not sounding detailed at all.  I don't know if compressed is the right term here, but it does sound exactly opposite of detailed and airy music. Alot of guitar and drum sounds are also sounding muddled.  Not quite sure what's wrong here, but this is sounding even inferior to how my headphones play on Stx II sound card Hifi mode.

7 (edited by Sk123 2021-08-09 01:54:35)

Just a little update,

The left phones jack started working suddenly.  I dont know whether trying to "factory reset" triggered something.  This wasn't working for the past two days, tried muting and unmuting but wouldn't work.  I am happy that at least it's working now. Audio from this jack sounds more fuller and not so "compressed" as I was feeling earlier with the right jack.  I am afraid to switch jacks haha, don't wanna undo the fix.  Enjoying the audio on this jack!

Sk123 wrote:

Just a little update,

The left phones jack started working suddenly.  I dont know whether trying to "factory reset" triggered something.  This wasn't working for the past two days, tried muting and unmuting but wouldn't work.  I am happy that at least it's working now. Audio from this jack sounds more fuller and not so "compressed" as I was feeling earlier with the right jack.  I am afraid to switch jacks haha, don't wanna undo the fix.  Enjoying the audio on this jack!

Good to hear, this is the primary headphone output according to the manual (furthest away from the volume knob) so it is the one you should be using anyway.

I would disable the soundcard on the PC and remove any associated software for it just to be sure something odd isn't happening.

I can't hear it myself so it's difficult for me to tell if it is set up correctly but what you described sounded like when you have surround sound enabled but you are only hearing the rear or side channels.

For your headphones you want to be using 2 channels (left and right) think of a channel as how many speakers you have. If you set it up for more channels than 2 then some of the sound would be missing and it would sound muffled and strange.

Have a read from page 53 of the manual https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2profsr_e.pdf for correctly setting it up with Windows.

9 (edited by ramses 2021-08-09 07:31:20)

Could it perhaps be, that the plug of your headphone was not fully plugged-in ? Because then the sound changes significantly as well ..

I wouldn't be over careful with this unit now ... simply save your setup to one of the nine user profiles, then you can recall it at any time.

BTW .. you can also load factory settings without e.g. removing PEQ settings. See also manual 14.2. Can be the case that you forgot to remove the unit from USB for a "hard factory reset" to happen. This is also explained there on the next page.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Sk123 wrote:

I have HD6xx.  By dark and compressed, I just mean to say that this dac/amp sounded pretty basic and did not blow me away.  It sounds exactly how it sounds on the Hifi mode on my Asus Stx II soundcard, and almost never ever turn on that mode, just once in months would try listening on the Hifi mode for a change and turn back to "gaming" mode in no time.  These two modes sound entirely different to one another, like two completely different sound signature.  I am missing so much detail and headroom right now, and that's what I was trying to correct.

The ADI is not supposed to sound "better" than your original source, nor is it designed to "enhance" the sound in any way. The "gaming" mode of your other card obviously does so, and if you get used to that, you might end up finding neutral reproduction "boring". That Asus is a fairly high-end device, you can not expect to hear major striking differences in "sound quality" here.

A certain temperature is quite normal. If it doesn't actually hurt to touch the unit, nothing will "melt"...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you guys for your replies, and will surely be referring to the manual pages you guys pointed to.

Walto: Yes I was aware that the left jack was supposed to be the primary output.  I did  skim through the manual and got some of the useful info, so was really surprised that my left jack didn't work, even after trying to mute/unmute.  i had already ordered the balanced cable and adapter to use both jacks simultaneously, so was worried anyway.  Regardless, it didn't make any sense why the right jack produces audio so differently than the primary jack, the manual claims that both jacks are the same thing etc.   It's possible that their could be software issue.  I will remove previous soundcard software just to be sure.

Ramses: The adapter/cable was plugged in correctly, I did double and triple check.  Surprisingly thig thing happens quite often with people where we imagine everything is connected the right away, and their's always a lose cable attachment.

RME Support: It actually hurts to touch the unit, sometimes just under 10 min of playing, and sometimes in about 20-30 min.  So yes,  I fear the inner components could "melt"/damage, without even getting a year or two of use, and worse it can be a fire hazard.  I am waiting for a reply on my email from RME, I will ask for a unit replacement as I have never ever felt a piece of electronic equipment get this hot in long term or short term use.

A little more product support required please!

So, first time I launched the game just now, and audio doesn't work in any of them.

Battlefield 1 and 5, there's just jitter noise like 90% of the audio, and may be 10% of the audio is actual game audio/music on the start screen.  Battlefield 4 has no audio whatsoever.

The Spotify app doesn't seem to be working either since enabling this dac to my PC. But Spotify web player works fine, and so does the Youtube, and windows media player.

Could there be any issue with the power supply? Because Usb is connected in the right socket, the white one and not the blue one.  I also have two programs installed for this unit, the DIGIcheck and MADIface so hopefully there's no issue with the drivers?  Also, the app/driver for previous Asus soundcard was already uninstalled.

I was reluctant to say but some of the effects on music still sound muddled, while main vocals and instruments sound quite bassy and boomy and it hurts the head to listen to music. Just trying my best to pinpoint how exactly this stuff is sounding at the moment.

13 (edited by ramses 2021-08-09 22:22:57)

Sk123 wrote:

RME Support: It actually hurts to touch the unit, sometimes just under 10 min of playing, and sometimes in about 20-30 min.  So yes,  I fear the inner components could "melt"/damage, without even getting a year or two of use, and worse it can be a fire hazard.  I am waiting for a reply on my email from RME, I will ask for a unit replacement as I have never ever felt a piece of electronic equipment get this hot in long term or short term use.

What is the room temperature of your environment?
Where is the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE located, does it stand on or between other electronic devices that also produce heat ?
Do you have airflow on top and bottom of the unit ?

Can you pls post a picture of it? You need to store the picture to a cloud and put the URL here into "img" tags.
The procedure I described here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

I have 26°C room temperature and the temperature on the top/center of my ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is around 39°C.
I glued some felt  under the rubber feet (~2,5mm thick) to make the ADI a bit more slip-proof on my Thomann rack.
By this I might have a little better air circulation on the bottom of the unit. The surface of the rack below is cool.

Sk123 wrote:

A little more product support required please!

So, first time I launched the game just now, and audio doesn't work in any of them.

Battlefield 1 and 5, there's just jitter noise like 90% of the audio, and may be 10% of the audio is actual game audio/music on the start screen.  Battlefield 4 has no audio whatsoever.

If the ADI-2 Pro works fine with Windows and Youtube then it should also work with the other applications.
What is your ASIO buffersize setting in the RME driver settings ?

Can you post a screenshot of
- your Windows audio settings ? What is your standard sound device ?
- RME driver settings to check for any USN transport errors (CRC errors) and which ASIO buffersize you configured.

Sk123 wrote:

The Spotify app doesn't seem to be working either since enabling this dac to my PC. But Spotify web player works fine, and so does the Youtube, and windows media player.

What are the audio settings of Spottify ? What audio driver is it using ?

Sk123 wrote:

Could there be any issue with the power supply? Because Usb is connected in the right socket, the white one and not the blue one.

I do not understand the "because" in your sentence / in this context.
The device is powered by the power supply, not USB bus powered.
The device can be plugged to USB 2 and 3 compatible USB ports, see manual ch 3.

You should try all USB2 and USB3 ports and check, whether it makes a difference.
Depending on your main board some USB ports could come from Chipset, some from 3rd party USB chips.

What CPU, DRAM, Mainboard do you use ?

Sk123 wrote:

I also have two programs installed for this unit, the DIGIcheck and MADIface so hopefully there's no issue with the drivers? 
Also, the app/driver for previous Asus soundcard was already uninstalled.

I already explained to you that MADIface is the name of the ASIO driver and that DIGIcheck is a collection of audio analysis programs, that need the ASIO driver installed. Even if you would run DIGIcheck it should not impact audio in any way.

Sk123 wrote:

I was reluctant to say but some of the effects on music still sound muddled, while main vocals and instruments sound quite bassy and boomy and it hurts the head to listen to music. Just trying my best to pinpoint how exactly this stuff is sounding at the moment.

From your description this sounds strange.
And the ADI can not be so bad that your head would hurt from the sound.
At what volume levels are you listening ?

ramses wrote:
Sk123 wrote:

What is the room temperature of your environment?
Where is the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE located, does it stand on or between other electronic devices that also produce heat ?
Do you have airflow on top and bottom of the unit ?

Can you pls post a picture of it? You need to store the picture to a cloud and put the URL here into "img" tags.
The procedure I described here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

I have 26°C room temperature and the temperature on the top/center of my ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is around 39°C.
I glued some felt  under the rubber feet (~2,5mm thick) to make the ADI a bit more slip-proof on my Thomann rack.
By this I might have a little better air circulation on the bottom of the unit. The surface of the rack below is cool.

My room is pretty cool and airy.  Room temp would be 23-24 C.  Central AC is generally set at 75F plus the little fan right next to computer table is running most of the times as well and the ac duct right next to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dprjo0ztdeu8gt4/a1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2qd2kgvzqcwuv1/a2.jpg?dl=0

My PC is way to the right and there's no object next to the dac that produces heat.

Temp 39c is probably not burning hot, this unit becomes hot like a kettle that was on stove a while back. You feel the burn in your hand if you put it for 2 seconds.  There is no way plastic components can survive so much continuous heat for long. I'm sorry but don't have the device to read the exact temps on it.

I am waiting for the customer support to update me on my hotmail account, RME Support individual replied me here but haven't got back to me on my hotmail.  This isn't a $20 purchase I am having trouble with.

16 (edited by Sk123 2021-08-09 23:57:24)

Buffer size is 16384 and sample rate 384000 hz and these are the max settings I can put on my PC.  If I try to go any higher on sample rate and buffer, my audio gets muted on the desktop, and I cannot locate this dac as the audio output device.  Have to change back to the above buffer and sample rate size.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtf5m3mlfd4o8 … 1.png?dl=0

CPU is i5-6500, Mobo gigabyte g1 b7 sniper, 16 gb ram

Can you please be more specific on how to get to the RME driver settings

For Spotify I must be using the latest driver, because freshly reinstalled it after the app stopped working.  I have a paid subscription so it must be "high quality audio".

The listening volume is at 10 at the desktop, and rest I change with my remote lets say anywhere from -6 db to -3 db.

Also, sometimes it starts to sound pretty clear, just boomy, but sometimes or may be some tracks start to feel muddled, while that was not the case with previous soundcard.

I have checked with different USB sockets and there's no difference in sound, and the same issues with games where it won't just play, or have severe jitter noise

> Can you please be more specific on how to get to the RME driver settings

Manual chapter 24.1, Settings dialog.

Your games will not work at 384 kHz - set WDM/Settings dialog back to a reasonable 48 kHz, buffer size to 256 and try again.

That said from your description the unit must be broken, it should not get that hot. Is that an older 'Black' model or the current FS R BE with remote?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

18 (edited by ning 2021-08-10 02:06:02)

> That said from your description the unit must be broken, it should not get that hot. Is that an older 'Black' model or the current FS R BE with remote?

from the photo he posted it's an FS R.

>Temp 39c is probably not burning hot, this unit becomes hot like a kettle that was on stove a while back. You feel the burn in your hand if you put it for 2 seconds.  There is no way plastic components can survive so much continuous heat for long. I'm sorry but don't have the device to read the exact temps on it.

If you don't have a thermometer to check temperature, do you have a wattage meter adapter to check the power consumption? If your device consumes > 12 W when idle your device is broken.

19 (edited by Sk123 2021-08-10 02:41:41)

MC wrote:

> Can you please be more specific on how to get to the RME driver settings

Manual chapter 24.1, Settings dialog.

Your games will not work at 384 kHz - set WDM/Settings dialog back to a reasonable 48 kHz, buffer size to 256 and try again.

That said from your description the unit must be broken, it should not get that hot. Is that an older 'Black' model or the current FS R BE with remote?

WOW this fixed the audio issue with all three games, as well Spotify works now.  I feel so embarrassed, such a tiny thing and it had stressed me out quite a bit. lol. Thank you so much!!

Ning: I did buy a soldering kit a while back which also includes multi-meter but I didn't get a chance to use any of those things yet.

I will try to update on my device temps later on, but right now I am greatful that this Dac seems to function normal now with those  buffer and sample rate changes.  I was under the impression that the higher the buffer and sample rates, the better the audio quality.  I guess not.  Thank you once again guys for the help, I hope you won't mind if I can seek answers again if some issues arise with my device in future.

Sincerely,

Sk

20 (edited by ning 2021-08-10 03:18:49)

> Ning: I did buy a soldering kit a while back which also includes multi-meter but I didn't get a chance to use any of those things yet.

then it should be easy ---
1. solder a wire from ground of the adapter to ground of the unit,
2. and + of the adapter to the multimeter +,
3. and ground of the multimeter to the + of the unit.
set your multimeter to DC current mode. turn on the unit. the reading should be around 0.91A when idle. Anything above 1A means your unit is broken.

if you have the following 5.5x2.1 adapter you can measure the current without any soldering.

https://i.ibb.co/2KgPh95/Screen-Shot-2021-08-10-at-11-17-17.png

Alternatively just send the unit to RME for a check. You're still within warranty so nothing to worry about.

Your description indicates there's high possibility  that the unit is broken.

> I was under the impression that the higher the buffer and sample rates, the better the audio quality.  I guess not. 

that's not the case, especially when your software program cannot handle a high sample rate.

ning wrote:

> Ning: I did buy a soldering kit a while back which also includes multi-meter but I didn't get a chance to use any of those things yet.

then it should be easy ---
1. solder a wire from ground of the adapter to ground of the unit,
2. and + of the adapter to the multimeter +,
3. and ground of the multimeter to the + of the unit.
set your multimeter to DC current mode. turn on the unit. the reading should be around 0.91A when idle. Anything above 1A means your unit is broken.

if you have the following 5.5x2.1 adapter you can measure the current without any soldering.

https://i.ibb.co/2KgPh95/Screen-Shot-2021-08-10-at-11-17-17.png

Alternatively just send the unit to RME for a check. You're still within warranty so nothing to worry about.

Your description indicates there's high possibility  that the unit is broken.

> I was under the impression that the higher the buffer and sample rates, the better the audio quality.  I guess not. 

that's not the case, especially when your software program cannot handle a high sample rate.

Yup, I'll ask support if I can send in the device for their review. Thanks once again for your help!