Topic: Connect ADI-2 DAC to My Own Preamp and Amp?

Forgive my lack of understanding here, but I am going to use the ADI-2 DAC not for headphones but to feed my loudspeakers through a preamp and amp.  Can this device be connected to an external preamp/amp?  If so, are the bass, treble, loudness and EQ functions still available when using it like this?  My preamp (Parasound P6) also has tone controls, so this would be a redundant function.  If all this can be done, then I would probably use the ADI-2's preamp capabilities and keep the tone controls on the Parasound P6 turned off.

If this is "doable," how does it work having a volume control on the ADI-2 and my Parasound P6 preamp?

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-08 00:24:01)

Re: Connect ADI-2 DAC to My Own Preamp and Amp?

Preamp /power amp combination is no different than going directly to an integrated or power amp.

Probably you want to set up your preamp as neutral as possible.
Maybe use the Home theater bypass input.

Look here how to set this up:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

Thanks for the quick response on this!  I figured that I could use either the ADI-2 or my preamp's volume control, but was not sure how to approach it.  Regarding use of the HT bypass, I am already using that function for my home theater, with a Yamaha RX-A2060 AVR driving (the center and surrounds only) and controlling it.  (My main left and right (Klipsch Cornwall IVs) are powered by my Parasound A21+ amplifier via the home theater bypass function.)

Thanks again for confirming this for me.  Wanted to make sure of this before ordering the ADI-2.

Kais,  Regarding the link to the information using an external preamp/amp, it seems to suggest that using the "Case 1" method would be preferred from the standpoint of maximizing the dynamic range (SN ratio).  If one wants to have the cleanest sound possible, then using the Case 1 approach would be the best, right?

5 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-08 19:03:49)

mmullen60 wrote:

Kais,  Regarding the link to the information using an external preamp/amp, it seems to suggest that using the "Case 1" method would be preferred from the standpoint of maximizing the dynamic range (SN ratio).  If one wants to have the cleanest sound possible, then using the Case 1 approach would be the best, right?

Right, but thanks to the smart “Auto Reference Level” feature the difference in dynamic range is only about 6 dB within the upper 18 dB control range.

Starting with a dynamic range of 123 dB, this is absolutely not audible, and way beyond what any real world source can offer.

The golden rule for dynamic range / SN ratio is:
If you don’t hear noise you don’t have a noise problem.

You will have a hard time to press out any audible noise from the ADI-2 DAC, it’s that good!

For further information about the resolution and advantages when using digital volume control, please read manual page 63, if you are a little bit technically minded you will be astonished!

Quote from manual: “In summary:
RME's digital volume control in 42 bit TotalMix technology avoids all the disadvantages of analog level control via pots, is easy to use, offers reproducible settings, and the highest sound quality.”

6 (edited by Curt962 2021-08-08 17:37:04)

Mr. Mullen!

I thought that certainly you'd already purchased your very own ADI-2 DAC.  You WANT this!

In my use case, the RME is fed directly to my Active Monitors/Subs and functions brilliantly as the Command/Control Center for all.

S/N, Dynamic Range, etc are Textbook on-target.   I might even say that the words "RME", and "Noise" cannot be used in the same sentence.   Added Noise/Distortion are simply not a part of RME's program, and you will soon learn to appreciate this.

For us?  Almost Three (3) years of RME ownership, and enjoyment.  My only regret?   Why did I not buy an RME sooner?

Splendid bit of Engineering!

You'll love it!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

KaiS wrote:
mmullen60 wrote:

Right, but thanks to the smart “Auto Reference Level” feature the difference in dynamic range is only about 6 dB within the upper 18 dB control range.

Starting with a dynamic range of 123 dB, this is absolutely not audible, and way beyond what any real world source can offer.

The golden rule for dynamic range / SN ratio is:
If you don’t hear noise you don’t have a noise problem.

You will have a hard time to press out any audible noise from the ADI-2 DAC, it’s that good!

For further information about the resolution and advantages when using digital volume control, please read manual page 63, if you are a little bit technically minded you will be astonished!

Quote from manual: “In summary:
RME's digital volume control in 42 bit TotalMix technology avoids all the disadvantages of analog level control via pots, is easy to use, offers reproducible settings, and the highest sound quality.”

Kais, Thanks so much for the clarification.  As you can probably tell, I am not an overly technical guy when it comes to these matters!  I will probably go with the Case 2 method, as I would really like to control all the output the the ADI-2.  Thanks Much!

Curt962 wrote:

Mr. Mullen!

I thought that certainly you'd already purchased your very own ADI-2 DAC.  You WANT this!

In my use case, the RME is fed directly to my Active Monitors/Subs and functions brilliantly as the Command/Control Center for all.

S/N, Dynamic Range, etc are Textbook on-target.   I might even say that the words "RME", and "Noise" cannot be used in the same sentence.   Added Noise/Distortion are simply not a part of RME's program, and you will soon learn to appreciate this.

For us?  Almost Three (3) years of RME ownership, and enjoyment.  My only regret?   Why did I not buy an RME sooner?

Splendid bit of Engineering!

You'll love it!

Curt

Curt,  I just needed a few more clarifications before ordering.  Am now ready to order!

Mark