Topic: Rme Fireface 802 vs Tascam DA 3000?

Hi there,
I had few discussions with other music producer about the following topic: record the premaster of a finished track.

Some people told me that Fireface 802 wave or aiff recorded into the DAW will be not so different from the recording on TASCAM DA 3000 and it's conversion, while somebody else told me to go for a summing box or SSL Six + Tascam DA 3000.
I can understand that going for a summing box or mixer like SSL will definitely change the sound but what about the TASCAM DA 3000?

Is there a final answer to this? Is there a real different and a better "analog and warm" sound in the recording process?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Re: Rme Fireface 802 vs Tascam DA 3000?

Are you speaking of analog tape recording ?
Premaster of analog tape thru analog gear and then finally get digital with that Tascam 3000 ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-19 20:40:40)

spazzolino87 wrote:

Hi there,
I had few discussions with other music producer about the following topic: record the premaster of a finished track.

Some people told me that Fireface 802 wave or aiff recorded into the DAW will be not so different from the recording on TASCAM DA 3000 and it's conversion, while somebody else told me to go for a summing box or SSL Six + Tascam DA 3000.
I can understand that going for a summing box or mixer like SSL will definitely change the sound but what about the TASCAM DA 3000?

Is there a final answer to this? Is there a real different and a better "analog and warm" sound in the recording process?

The only way to find out is to try.
I’d include an ITB-mix into the comparison smile
Maybe the guys that told you about it can supply some files for comparison?

If you instead spend the same time and energy in improving your mix you will get you a better sound for sure.

waedi wrote:

Are you speaking of analog tape recording ?
Premaster of analog tape thru analog gear and then finally get digital with that Tascam 3000 ?

Hi waedi, I'm speaking about what would be the difference between:

Case 1: DAW>>>Total mix for *summing in the box*>>>back in DAW recording 1/2 Audio as Master.

Case 2: DAW>>Total mix>>>Audio Out from RME >>>>>Recording the master 1/2 out to Tascam DA-3000

Hi Kais,
thank you for the reply.

Sure the mix can be always improved but here I'm going into the process of summing in the box vs summing with an external gear (mixer or summing box) and then going again into RME for recording or using an external device like the Tascam DA 3000?

The difference with a SSL six I already experienced (even if the total mix summing is great) it but my doubt is more about the recording process.

Is the RME Fireface 802 the same or buying a Tascam DA 3000 would make the difference for the mixing in the final recording process ?

KaiS wrote:
spazzolino87 wrote:

Hi there,

The only way to find out is to try.
I’d include an ITB-mix into the comparison smile
Maybe the guys that told you about it can supply some files for comparison?

If you instead spend the same time and energy in improving your mix you will get you a better sound for sure.

6 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-20 13:39:56)

Comparing ITB and analog summing usually is “apples to oranges”.

You will have a hard time 100% reproducing one on the other, and most use analog processing like the SSL master compressor once in analog domain anyway.

In my experience the sound differences in AD / DA conversion is indistinguishable or at least neglect-able with high class devices that don’t use extra DSP processing.

Get a loaner of both devices and do a blind A/B by yourself to find out.
Watch out for a precise (0.05 dB or better) level match.
That’s what I usually do.

BTW: ADI-2 Pro has the option to choose from of various AD-filters.
These really make a difference.

You are making it to complicated. Listen to the mix while you are summing it. Then record it using your RME. Then play the recorded file. Does it sound the same? Then everything is good. Does it sound less? Then there is a problem. Then solve the problem.,only if there is one.
The best sound possible is an abstract idea better forgotten.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Hi Kais,
thank you for the reply.

You mean then to avoid any external hardware and connect directly my FIREFACE 802 master out into ADI-2 Pro for the final recording? It's the device giving more compared to the Fireface 802?

KaiS wrote:

Comparing ITB and analog summing usually is “apples to oranges”.

You will have a hard time 100% reproducing one on the other, and most use analog processing like the SSL master compressor once in analog domain anyway.

In my experience the sound differences in AD / DA conversion is indistinguishable or at least neglect-able with high class devices that don’t use extra DSP processing.

Get a loaner of both devices and do a blind A/B by yourself to find out.
Watch out for a precise (0.05 dB or better) level match.
That’s what I usually do.

BTW: ADI-2 Pro has the option to choose from of various AD-filters.
These really make a difference.

Hi Vinark,

Yes the mix sounds exactly as it is while I'm listening and I'm happy. Despite the better mix down I could get with digital plugins, I would like to have a different way of summing (give a bit more depth, analog flavor) for the final process.

In this case I'm checking for SSL Six mixer, SPL Mixdream, Dangerous to have an analog summing.

Somebody then told me that also the final recording with Tascam DA-3000 does improve the final WAV files.

That's why I'm asking here if the specs are the same or not and of course I know how analog summing vs digital can be a difficult topic.

vinark wrote:

You are making it to complicated. Listen to the mix while you are summing it. Then record it using your RME. Then play the recorded file. Does it sound the same? Then everything is good. Does it sound less? Then there is a problem. Then solve the problem.,only if there is one.

spazzolino87 wrote:

Hi Vinark,

Yes the mix sounds exactly as it is while I'm listening and I'm happy. Despite the better mix down I could get with digital plugins, I would like to have a different way of summing (give a bit more depth, analog flavor) for the final process.

In this case I'm checking for SSL Six mixer, SPL Mixdream, Dangerous to have an analog summing.

Somebody then told me that also the final recording with Tascam DA-3000 does improve the final WAV files.

That's why I'm asking here if the specs are the same or not and of course I know how analog summing vs digital can be a difficult topic.

vinark wrote:

If it sounds the same nothing can improve it right?
You might, I don't know the DA3000 specs, get a theoretical improvement but it will be inaudible or just beyond what you are trying to record. Just for example if the summing device has -110db noise which would be very high there is no difference if you ad converter has -115 or -120db noise. Same for distortion. Plus -90db of noise is already inaudible ;-)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

11 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-24 00:37:16)

If you want analog flavor you need to mix, not just sum, on a highclass analog console.
If you want to have “that sound” there’s no way around a full blown SSL mixer.
It is, has been and will be the standard, period.
It’s not just another sound, it’s a different way of mixing.

The AD-converter does not change anything when you already are in the class of the RME.
What kind of extra magic should the Tascam DA 3000 do to the sound that you can’t easily top with a few mix tweaks?!