Topic: Optical Indicator for Loopback Channels.

I am just about exploring the full potential of totalmix loopback feature.
But i find it irritating that there is noch optical indicator for the loopback channels.
I understand that the most upper row is  showing stricly the hardware input meter.
But for the sake of clarity, how about a changing colour of the input channels wich are
used for a loopback? Or at best a fourth row showing just the loopback sends with metering?

2 (edited by ramses 2021-10-02 09:13:52)

Re: Optical Indicator for Loopback Channels.

You can look for the glowing wrench symbol, usuall this is loopback ("phase" is rarely being used).

I do not think that a 4rth row is the solution, wouldn't fit well on screen.

Maybe this proposal would solve this more gracefully at all: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28772
You wouldn't need to sacrifice other channels for loopback operation that might be needed for other things.

Those virtual loopback channels could be placed in the top row as you record from them.
They could have the usual metering as those channels are dedicated for loopback.

In the current implementation you see the metering on the HW output being looped back and on the input the original signal that is still not lost and can be routed to another output, being loopbacked to be recorded as well.
But this could easily lead to a chain of loopbacks if you need to "rescue" the original signal on an input.

In the ASIO driver the virtual loopback channels would be inputs from which you can record.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

yes Ramses, virtual channels would be ace, but maybe to much to ask for? I assume it would take a complete rework of the whole software. I would be glad if there where only an optical indicator on those input channel numbers are used für loopback too.
OR another choseable display that only shows the upper row instead of the input channel metering, the loopback sends with metering. how about that? As i understand by now there is no chance to see the meters for loopback sends, right? isnt this critical because you sum up multiple channels für loopback?

> I would be glad if there where only an optical indicator on those input channel numbers are used für loopback too.

You have it already, you need to look on the outputs, if there is a glowing wrench symbol then there is usually loopback enabled.

> As i understand by now there is no chance to see the meters for loopback sends, right?

No, simply look at the metering of the HW output where loopback is active. This shows you the metering.

If you see a metering on the corresponding HW input, then this is from the HW input which is still there.
But recording loopback has precedence over that.
Still its possible to route that audio from this HW input to another output and
its even possible to record that if you activate loopback on that output.
and then you have this audio

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13