Topic: mute/solo switch does not work in total mix

I have been using a BF pro FS for 1.5 years now and it is connected either to a dell i5 laptop or a ryzen5 3600X component built machine. I use it for all purposes but on the ryzen5 exclusively with Cubase (10, 10.5 and now) 11 pro. This means before I decide on which machine I will work, I connect the BF there.
Recently I noticed on the Ryzen5 that in all chanels in total mix, either in or out or virtual the mono and solo switches do nothing at all. And I say recently since I have been having the Ryzen since the begining of this year, and by chance had not used the function.
On the intel i5 laptop, both mute/solo do work fine.
If it is of any importance the total mix version on the intel is 1.61 and on the Ryzen 1.67.

I have not noticed any other strange things while working with Cubase (even though I get messages of unexpected termination of Cubase, but I know that this is common problem in the Steinberg community).

Any ideas?

Dimitris
Ryzen5 3600XT, Nvidia 1650, Win 10, Cubase 11 pro, BBF ProFS, Rode NT1a, CC121, ADA8200

2 (edited by ramses 2021-10-08 16:47:51)

Re: mute/solo switch does not work in total mix

In your case its much likely that it has to do with the driver differencies if it works with the one version but not with the other.

So it would be good practise to update at least  firmware and driver on the system where it doesn't run as expected.

Latest Firmware is: 130
Latest Software driver_usb_win_1212.zip
The TM FX software bundled with this software is: TM FX 1.73 and you can even get TM FX 1.75 here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33926

You could also check the readme files in both ZIP files, whether you see a bugfix which is maybe related to the issue...
But even if you find nothing like that I would perform an upgrade to latest firmware and sw versions on both system.
First on the one which doesn't work as expected.
Should there be a bug, then RME would surely like to know whether this is still present in the latest versions of firmware and driver/TM FX software.

Before making changes to your system (Windows) you should perform a backup (disk image) of your Windows system disk or ssd using Macrium Reflect Home so that you can come back to exactly this state at any time if needed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by d.panagiotidis 2021-10-08 18:06:45)

thanks
before I do all these, there is not ...any other setting that would cause this behaviour ? (I think the answer is obvious but....)

Also how can I see which firmware I have?

(but on second thought I would say firmware upgrade should not be needed, since it works fine with the intel)

Dimitris
Ryzen5 3600XT, Nvidia 1650, Win 10, Cubase 11 pro, BBF ProFS, Rode NT1a, CC121, ADA8200

There are master Mute & Solo buttons at the top right control strip in TotalMix FX. Please check that these are active.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

There are master Mute & Solo buttons at the top right control strip in TotalMix FX. Please check that these are active.

of course they are not. Not working either.

I checked the device manager in the control panel (audio input output) and it reports the following on SPEAKERS (RME BF OUT):

driver provider >Microsoft
Driver Date>12/6/2019
Driver Version>10.0.19041.1
Digital Signer>Microsoft Windows

Are these supposed to be OK?

Dimitris

6 (edited by ramses 2021-10-08 19:20:46)

You looked at the wrong location in the device manager tree, these are the Microsoft WDM compatible I/O ports.
Easiest is to look it up in the RME driver settings, tab "About".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

You looked at the wrong location in the device manager tree, these are the Microsoft WDM compatible I/O ports.
Easiest is to look it up in the RME driver settings, tab "About".

Windows Vista/7/8/10 driver
Windows WDM and ASIO 2.3 support
Driver date 25.11.20
Driver version 1.20
Hardware revision 125

Dimitris

d.panagiotidis wrote:
Jeff wrote:

I doubt that you looked at the Master Mute Solo Fader buttons. They are at the TOP, below the FX symbol. If they don't react while clicking on them then please send a screenshot. There has never been a TM FX version where this did not work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by d.panagiotidis 2021-10-09 07:54:08)

MC wrote:
d.panagiotidis wrote:
Jeff wrote:

I doubt that you looked at the Master Mute Solo Fader buttons. They are at the TOP, below the FX symbol. If they don't react while clicking on them then please send a screenshot. There has never been a TM FX version where this did not work.

They were not working as I said before. Since it was mentioned I checked twice comparing the behaviour of the BF on both computers. They were responding i.e. changing colours (all mute /solo buttons changed colours) but soundwise nothing happened with them or the individual chanels.

To make a long story short,
I spend almost the whole night searching and changing drivers, the newer driver (1.73) just made things worse and now I could not highlight each output (phones, speakers - PH34, AN12) and balance the chanels. I had sound and could control each output but what was going into them I could not control.
I did not want to mess with the firmware since everything was perfect with the intel even if the driver there were 1.61 (by the way neither this worked on the Ryzen). I knew the BF was OK and there was some kind of driver problem.
Then I checked my NVIDIA card and saw that I was using a version dated back in last December (which I then installed to solve some cubase issues). I tried a couple of newer ones and ended up with the latest (but studio-not gaming) version. Then the system worked as expected, not after a restart, but after a complete shutdown and powering off the pc by the rear switch (after shutdown the usb ports are still active on this-and I think it is time to disable this).
All in all it was very curious, I dealt with it for a couple of days, still I don't know what happened, but I will report if anything new comes along.

Thanks for the advice.

Dimitris

10 (edited by ramses 2021-10-10 10:03:43)

> I spend almost the whole night searching and changing drivers, the newer driver (1.73)

Hi Dimitris, sorry to hear that. Just for your information. v1.73 is not the driver. This is TotalMix FX v1.73. TM FX is included in the RME driver package, so I assume you installed the latest driver from the file "driver_usb_win_1212.zip" and thus installed TM FX 1.73.

> the newer driver (1.73) just made things worse and now I could not highlight each output (phones, speakers - PH34,
> AN12) and balance the chanels. I had sound and could control each output but what was going into them I could not control.

Sorry, but it's very unlikely that TM FX v 1.73 would work worse, not only did it run very stable on my system, I'm not aware of any forum posts reporting such problems with any of the last TM FX versions or in particular after an upgrade.

If I understand you correctly, you tried to change a routing in "submix mode" by selecting a HW output in the bottom row, then moving the faders of the top and middle row (inputs, sw playbacks) and now the selection of a HW output didn't work?
This sounds to me more like "submix mode" was not activated.
Did you check in TM FX on the right side in the blue area whether "Submix" was still activated?

I also wonder why you don't try to restore the routing and settings from a saved workspace file with the last working config.
You can use "File -> Save Workspace" to save and "File -> Load Workspace" to load a working setup.
This will save and restore everything: routings, settings, window positions (except Preferences, F2).

Do you have such a workspace file on each of your computers, which would make restoring a working setup much easier?

Regarding the current state of the system where you performed the driver upgrade

You seem to have the latest driver installed on one of the two systems. But have you also installed the latest firmware on the Babyface Pro? This would ensure that  Firmware on BBF Pro as well as driver and TM FX on the PC were all up to date and by this all known bugs woud be fixed and that a combination of firmware, drivers and software is in use by you as it had been tested by RME (in exactly that combination of versions).

Allow me to make a few general comments:

There is a relationship between firmware (on BBF Pro), ASIO driver (on the computer) and TotalMix FX. A newer TM FX version may need an updated driver and firmware. A newer driver version may need updated firmware on the BBFP.

I know the phrase "never touch a running system", but if you never apply firmware and driver updates, or wait too long or update only a single of these three components, then you are more likely to run into problems that have already been fixed in newer versions.

In your case I would try to keep both systems as equal as possible and install the same as well as latest firmware and drivers.

The good news at least

As your BBF Pro works at least on one system it can't be defective. So it can only be a problem in the following areas:

- problem based on USB cable (I regard this relationship as rather unlikely, but check for CRC errors in the driver settings)
- problem caused by AMD chipset's USB implementation (unsure, but the communication between TM FX and your BBFP goes also over USB, not only audio; maybe the other two things fix that anyway or bring more insight)
- bad combination of firmware, driver, software (this you can fix on both systems)
- TM FX is in a weired state, see below, this can be fixed/checked by e.g. resetting the mixer

If you work on it in that order then you have also the advantage that all further testing that you might need to do is being performed on the latest code basis. If there really should be a fix required then it can be released much quicker and you have also the latest features which is also an advantage to you (don't worry, RME is not like Microsoft, who unfortunately often tinker with things that in the end don't improve anything and only cost the user time to get used to them again).

Posting pictures on RME forum

Matthias Carstens has asked for a screenshot, if you need a little help on how to post screenshots in the forum, please have a look here:

1. use either the Windows Snipping Tool or better use the free software Greenshot, which is nicer because you can add e.g. arrows, boxes, yellow markers or own comments to a screenshot, the URL: https://getgreenshot.org/
2. save this screenshot in JPG format, preferably with 100% quality, then everything, including the text, is sharper
3. copy this JPG file to a cloud storage of your choice, I personally use Dropbox, https://www.dropbox.com/ as only a few could companies allow external forums to read and insert this content when people read your posting.
4. share this JPG file on the cloud storage, you will get a URL for it which you can post on this forum.
5. either post this URL or better put it in "image tags" so that the image is directly visible in your posting without having to click on it. It just takes a little trick to make it work: at the end of this Dropbox URL, change manually "?dl=0" to "?dl=1".

I have explained / documented this procedure in detail here in my blog, as not everyone is familiar with it: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

One more recommendation, TM FX mixer reset

As in your case, it can always happen that something no longer works as usual, then you can restore a working workspace file as described above.

Another possibility is to save the current state (File> Save Workspace As) and to reset TM FX completely.

The best thing to do is to write down a few steps somewhere (preferably in a file), so that after such a mixer reset you can quickly arrive at a working basic configuration in as few steps as possible. This way you can check quickly and reliably if it is a configuration problem or if the error is to be found somewhere else (e.g. firmware, driver, TM FX).

Here a template / skeleton for such a procedure as a time saver for you, but that you might need to customize a little depending what devices / ports you use

Active Monitors connected to: AN 1/2
Phones connected to: AN x/y
- TM FX: File -> Save Workspace As (filename e.g.: "BBFP-PCx-2021-10-09-tm173-backup-before-tmfx-reset")
- TM FX: Options -> Reset Mix -> Total Reset
- TM FX: Assign -> Main Out -> AN 1/2 (select port, where active monitors are connected to)
- TM FX: Assign -> Phones 1 -> AN x/y (select port, where headphones are connected to)
- TM FX: Options -> Reset Mix -> Straight Playback with all to Main Out (all audio from PC/apps routed to Main Out)
- TM FX: Reduce volume for Main Out to a known good level, as default of -10dB might still be too loud
- TM FX: Reduce volume for Phones 1 to a known good level, as default of -20dB might still be too loud
- TM FX: File -> Save Workspace As (filename e.g.: "BBFP-PCx-2021-10-09-tm173-mixer-reset-all-to-main-out")

You can stop here to perform basic checks now, whether TM FX works through monitors / main out or not.
You can load this workspace file at any time to return to this point and get this basic setup again.

I recommend to proceed with a few more steps, to work it out a bit more:

- TM FX: Mute Phones 1, so that audio is only played to Main Out (active monitors)
- TM FX: Save this setup to Snapshot 1 and rename it to e.g. "Speakers"
- TM FX: Unmute Phones 1, mute Main Out, route (at least) AN1/2 - AN7-8 to Phones 1
- TM FX: Save this setup to Snapshot 2 and rename it to e.g. "Phones"
- TM FX: Recall setup for "Speakers", mute "Main Out" and "Phones 1" and save this to Snapshot 3-8.
   By this TM FX Snapshots 3-8 have a safe predefined setting and are additionally muted.
- TM FX: File -> Save Workspace As (filename e.g.: "BBFP-PCx-2021-10-09-tm173-my-customized-settings")

Now you can toggle listening to audio from PC through either "Monitors" or "Phones" at well predefined volume by clicking to the TM FX snapshot buttons 1 and 2 on the right, which you renamed to "Speakers" and "Phones".

EDIT: when performing a TM FX Total Reset on my UFX+ then the faders and the gain of Mic inputs are turned down. So in the case of Snapshot for "Main Out" you do not have to worry about a feedback look through your active monitors. If you want to use the Mics then select your phones submix, click to Phones1 submix on the bottom, carefully adjust the Mic gain and then turn up the fader so that you can listen your voice in the submix.
If you found a good start value then I would do two things
a) mute the Mic input, maybe you do not want to have the mic active whenever you listen through phones
b) either updates this Phones Snapshot or create a new / third one called Recording or MicsOn

ramses wrote:

> I spend almost the whole night searching and changing drivers, the newer driver (1.73)

Hi Dimitris, sorry to hear that. Just for your information. v1.73 is not the driver. This is TotalMix FX v1.73. TM FX is included in the RME driver package, so I assume you installed the latest driver from the file "driver_usb_win_1212.zip" and thus installed TM FX 1.73.

> the newer driver (1.73) just made things worse and now I could not highlight each output (phones, speakers - PH34,
> AN12) and balance the chanels. I had sound and could control each output but what was going into them I could not control.

Sorry, but it's very unlikely that TM FX v 1.73 would work worse, not only did it run very stable on my system, I'm not aware of any forum posts reporting such problems with any of the last TM FX versions or in particular after an upgrade.

If I understand you correctly, you tried to change a routing in "submix mode" by selecting a HW output in the bottom row, then moving the faders of the top and middle row (inputs, sw playbacks) and now the selection of a HW output didn't work?
This sounds to me more like "submix mode" was not activated.
Did you check in TM FX on the right side in the blue area whether "Submix" was still activated?

I also wonder why you don't try to restore the routing and settings from a saved workspace file with the last working config.
You can use "File -> Save Workspace" to save and "File -> Load Workspace" to load a working setup.
This will save and restore everything: routings, settings, window positions (except Preferences, F2).

Do you have such a workspace file on each of your computers, which would make restoring a working setup much easier?

Regarding the current state of the system where you performed the driver upgrade

You seem to have the latest driver installed on one of the two systems. But have you also installed the latest firmware on the Babyface Pro? This would ensure that  Firmware on BBF Pro as well as driver and TM FX on the PC were all up to date and by this all known bugs woud be fixed and that a combination of firmware, drivers and software is in use by you as it had been tested by RME (in exactly that combination of versions).

Allow me to make a few general comments:

There is a relationship between firmware (on BBF Pro), ASIO driver (on the computer) and TotalMix FX. A newer TM FX version may need an updated driver and firmware. A newer driver version may need updated firmware on the BBFP.

I know the phrase "never touch a running system", but if you never apply firmware and driver updates, or wait too long or update only a single of these three components, then you are more likely to run into problems that have already been fixed in newer versions.

In your case I would try to keep both systems as equal as possible and install the same as well as latest firmware and drivers.

The good news at least

As your BBF Pro works at least on one system it can't be defective. So it can only be a problem in the following areas:

- problem based on USB cable (I regard this relationship as rather unlikely, but check for CRC errors in the driver settings)
- problem caused by AMD chipset's USB implementation (unsure, but the communication between TM FX and your BBFP goes also over USB, not only audio; maybe the other two things fix that anyway or bring more insight)
- bad combination of firmware, driver, software (this you can fix on both systems)
- TM FX is in a weired state, see below, this can be fixed/checked by e.g. resetting the mixer

If you work on it in that order then you have also the advantage that all further testing that you might need to do is being performed on the latest code basis. If there really should be a fix required then it can be released much quicker and you have also the latest features which is also an advantage to you (don't worry, RME is not like Microsoft, who unfortunately often tinker with things that in the end don't improve anything and only cost the user time to get used to them again).

Posting pictures on RME forum

Matthias Carstens has asked for a screenshot, if you need a little help on how to post screenshots in the forum, please have a look here:

1. use either the Windows Snipping Tool or better use the free software Greenshot, which is nicer because you can add e.g. arrows, boxes, yellow markers or own comments to a screenshot, the URL: https://getgreenshot.org/
2. save this screenshot in JPG format, preferably with 100% quality, then everything, including the text, is sharper
3. copy this JPG file to a cloud storage of your choice, I personally use Dropbox, https://www.dropbox.com/ as only a few could companies allow external forums to read and insert this content when people read your posting.
4. share this JPG file on the cloud storage, you will get a URL for it which you can post on this forum.
5. either post this URL or better put it in "image tags" so that the image is directly visible in your posting without having to click on it. It just takes a little trick to make it work: at the end of this Dropbox URL, change manually "?dl=0" to "?dl=1".

I have explained / documented this procedure in detail here in my blog, as not everyone is familiar with it: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

One more recommendation, TM FX mixer reset

As in your case, it can always happen that something no longer works as usual, then you can restore a working workspace file as described above.

Another possibility is to save the current state (File> Save Workspace As) and to reset TM FX completely.

The best thing to do is to write down a few steps somewhere (preferably in a file), so that after such a mixer reset you can quickly arrive at a working basic configuration in as few steps as possible. This way you can check quickly and reliably if it is a configuration problem or if the error is to be found somewhere else (e.g. firmware, driver, TM FX).

Here a template / skeleton for such a procedure as a time saver for you, but that you might need to customize a little depending what devices / ports you use

Active Monitors connected to: AN 1/2
Phones connected to: AN x/y
- TM FX: File -> Save Workspace As (filename e.g.: "BBFP-PCx-2021-10-09-tm173-backup-before-tmfx-reset")
- TM FX: Options -> Reset Mix -> Total Reset
- TM FX: Assign -> Main Out -> AN 1/2 (select port, where active monitors are connected to)
- TM FX: Assign -> Phones 1 -> AN x/y (select port, where headphones are connected to)
- TM FX: Options -> Reset Mix -> Straight Playback with all to Main Out (all audio from PC/apps routed to Main Out)
- TM FX: Reduce volume for Main Out to a known good level, as default of -10dB might still be too loud
- TM FX: Reduce volume for Phones 1 to a known good level, as default of -20dB might still be too loud
- TM FX: File -> Save Workspace As (filename e.g.: "BBFP-PCx-2021-10-09-tm173-mixer-reset-all-to-main-out")

You can stop here to perform basic checks now, whether TM FX works through monitors / main out or not.
You can load this workspace file at any time to return to this point and get this basic setup again.

I recommend to proceed with a few more steps, to work it out a bit more:

- TM FX: Mute Phones 1, so that audio is only played to Main Out (active monitors)
- TM FX: Save this setup to Snapshot 1 and rename it to e.g. "Speakers"
- TM FX: Unmute Phones 1, mute Main Out, route (at least) AN1/2 - AN7-8 to Phones 1
- TM FX: Save this setup to Snapshot 2 and rename it to e.g. "Phones"
- TM FX: Recall setup for "Speakers", mute "Main Out" and "Phones 1" and save this to Snapshot 3-8.
   By this TM FX Snapshots 3-8 have a safe predefined setting and are additionally muted.
- TM FX: File -> Save Workspace As (filename e.g.: "BBFP-PCx-2021-10-09-tm173-my-customized-settings")

Now you can toggle listening to audio from PC through either "Monitors" or "Phones" at well predefined volume by clicking to the TM FX snapshot buttons 1 and 2 on the right, which you renamed to "Speakers" and "Phones".

Well...I must start by saying many many many thanks for your detailed answer.
I do appreciate that...

Yes indeed, that was driver 1212. I must say that I did spend some time on RME details when I bought the BF back in May 2020, but at that time I just installed the latest available and started running and forgot all about it since I had the slightest of problems. That was on the intel machine.
At this point I'll take some time to say that I do love the functionality of TM FX but whatever I read around will not persuade me that it is adequately documented (if one takes into account that HUGE functionality and capabilities). So personally since I am an amateur composer/musician/recording engineer of myself I have a limited knowledge of these capabilities and as the time passes every day I learn another new thing.
The "second" problem I described was a submix matter, as you describe, and it is very likely that the "submix" was not activated, and I admit I did not know about it until now.

I have not come so far as to save workspaces and such yet. That is because there is no need for that. I have seen that one can do that, but for me whatever I do on computer 1 the same I do on the other. I used to record on computer 1, now I do that only on computer 2, and I can browse on both with the same workspace. I am not a professional who needs to change environment every day, or have "clients" who have various needs for me to meet.

I do believe in "if it ain't broken don't fix it" to paraphrase your quote. So I DID NOT WANT for whatever reason to change the settings that were solid on machine 1. That is tm fx 1.61 and BF firmware (which I must admit I still don't know how to upgrade. I must have done it once, but I now I do not remember. - Please enlighten me on this.)
So I yesterday I was somehow desperate in not changing anything on machine 1 since it was running.
So I had to fix computer 2 and to that direction I turned.

I was about to post a video, but that would take me a lot of time and when I thought about it I had already been into changing things. Also I tried to post some pics but (again some ranting) I find the RME forum very austere in that matter. I have uploaded thousands of pics on other forums I visit since 1998 and used clouds and dropboxes, but yesterday it was not my day. But I do believe that it is easier to upload on other forums. (yes they are not so well maintained and organised in their content like this one...but some things are done easier there)

In conclusion, I believe the problem in my case WAS (and maybe still is) my NVIDIA geforce 1650 video adapter which has reproted conflicts with ryzen based computers and cubase. I have read a lot of stuff about that on the forums, and I have dealt with its drivers some months ago. Perhaps it was something triggered by a windows update. We'll see...The problem for me is that I got this new machine recently (less than a year) and had I known these things I certainly would not have bought ryzen5 proc, or NVIDIA adapter. I could do with an intel based, even with onboard graphics and forget about video editing. But now it is very hard to find proper and affordable video cards because of the shortage and high prices and I don't want to think about gettin a new machine again. The transition (and having to set both to run when needed) was difficult and long.

THANK YOU AGAIN.

ANOTHER THING I WANT TO ASK....
I don't know if you are familiar with cubase, but I have noticed that on cubase when the "control room" is activated, in the virtual chanels in TM FX, I get signal on both AN1/2, PH3/4. And at the same time if computer sound is also coming from let's say youtube that is also sent to AN1/2. These 2 identical cubase signals are sent to phones, they are summed up and I get more loudness. I am not sure if that would lead to distortion or clipping. I don't notice any though. How would this happen?

Dimitris

12 (edited by ramses 2021-10-10 12:50:21)

d.panagiotidis wrote:

Well...I must start by saying many many many thanks for your detailed answer.
I do appreciate that...

You're welcome, btw I updated my posting with another recommendation. Add a 3rd snapshot for recording through microphones. Then you have one for listening through monitors or listening music through phones without Mic active and a 3rd one to record through your mics.

d.panagiotidis wrote:

At this point I'll take some time to say that I do love the functionality of TM FX but whatever I read around will not persuade me that it is adequately documented (if one takes into account that HUGE functionality and capabilities). So personally since I am an amateur composer/musician/recording engineer of myself I have a limited knowledge of these capabilities and as the time passes every day I learn another new thing.

Sorry, but that's where our opinions and experiences diverge. The RME documentation is the best I have ever seen in this field. The manual is very well structured and every function is described. You just have to have a look at it. You can download the latest version and read it with e.g. Acrobat Reader comfortably in two-page view like in a book. With the search function you can quickly search for a key word and find the information you are looking for. You even got a printed manual which became very rare in the industry...

You said you didn't know how to flash the BBFP. But this is well explained at the first part of the manual in ch 7.3 on page 15.
Even if you look on the product page in the web. The firmware is directly located over the driver download and the procedure is described in the manual.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc4kar5d0hmbrwr/2021-10-10%2013_06_33-Babyface%20Pro%20FS%20-%20Driver%20and%20Firmware.jpg?dl=1

All in all you said you have this device now since 1.5 years. So in that long time you really did not get managed to get up to manual page 15? But sorry, will all respect, you can't complain about a manual without knowing it.

Besides that, after working with the device for such a long time the reading of the manual should become much easier, because many things are already familiar to you from operation.

I can give you a really good tip. Watch the RME tutorial Videos (1st), because then you get already a good overview what TotalMix FX can do for you. With that base knowledge it's also much easier to read the manual. The videos are very well done, to the point, without wasting time with irrelevant "bla bla".

I put together a collection of tutorial videos in my blog, pls. give it a try !
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

d.panagiotidis wrote:

The "second" problem I described was a submix matter, as you describe, and it is very likely that the "submix" was not activated, and I admit I did not know about it until now.

The essential information about that is described on the first pages of the chapter 21 about TotalMix FX.

d.panagiotidis wrote:

I have not come so far as to save workspaces and such yet. That is because there is no need for that. I have seen that one can do that, but for me whatever I do on computer 1 the same I do on the other. I used to record on computer 1, now I do that only on computer 2, and I can browse on both with the same workspace. I am not a professional who needs to change environment every day, or have "clients" who have various needs for me to meet.

Then you still haven't understood what this function is for. This is the backup of your TotalMix FX settings in order to get back to the last known executable state as quickly as possible.

This might have solved your problems within a very short time. Because at the moment it looks to me like you just accidentally twisted something or TotalMix FX might have got into an inconsistent state. It would have been much easier to load the last backup of the TM FX workspace, which has always worked well for me.

I even use a variation of this here, Workspace Quick Select, which does the same thing but saves it at a fixed location in up to 30 memory slots. So if I twist something here in my setup to give you better support, then even in TM FX I only need to press the key combination "ALT-1" to restore the backup from the 1st memory slot and then everything is back as before in less than 1 second. Isn't that great?!

It's all in the manual, you just have to read it!

d.panagiotidis wrote:

I do believe in "if it ain't broken don't fix it" to paraphrase your quote. So I DID NOT WANT for whatever reason to change the settings that were solid on machine 1. That is tm fx 1.61 and BF firmware (which I must admit I still don't know how to upgrade. I must have done it once, but I now I do not remember. - Please enlighten me on this.)
So I yesterday I was somehow desperate in not changing anything on machine 1 since it was running.
So I had to fix computer 2 and to that direction I turned.

I was about to post a video, but that would take me a lot of time and when I thought about it I had already been into changing things. Also I tried to post some pics but (again some ranting) I find the RME forum very austere in that matter. I have uploaded thousands of pics on other forums I visit since 1998 and used clouds and dropboxes, but yesterday it was not my day. But I do believe that it is easier to upload on other forums. (yes they are not so well maintained and organised in their content like this one...but some things are done easier there)

In conclusion, I believe the problem in my case WAS (and maybe still is) my NVIDIA geforce 1650 video adapter which has reproted conflicts with ryzen based computers and cubase. I have read a lot of stuff about that on the forums, and I have dealt with its drivers some months ago. Perhaps it was something triggered by a windows update. We'll see...The problem for me is that I got this new machine recently (less than a year) and had I known these things I certainly would not have bought ryzen5 proc, or NVIDIA adapter. I could do with an intel based, even with onboard graphics and forget about video editing. But now it is very hard to find proper and affordable video cards because of the shortage and high prices and I don't want to think about gettin a new machine again. The transition (and having to set both to run when needed) was difficult and long.

Sorry but this is a lot information and speculation, I see e.g. no issues that might come in this case from nVidia.
I won't comment on that further, I think it doesn't lead into the proper direction.

Next steps

It would be better if you would work now on a few action points, lets start with that from Matthias Carstens:

1. from MC: to post a screenshot of TM FX window on AMD machine, RME needs to see the visual status of TM FX.
    Maybe they can see something why mute/solo does not work.

Then either wait for feedback or maybe check also this:
2. save your current TM FX configuration (Save Workspace As) to a file, so that you can come back to it at any time
3. reset TM FX (total reset), try whether Solo and Mute work and report back
optional:
4. restore the last state (before the TM FX reset) by performing "Load Workspace" ... and select the workspace file that you stored in step 2. Then you are back at the previous TM FX settings before the reset.

d.panagiotidis wrote:

ANOTHER THING I WANT TO ASK....
I don't know if you are familiar with cubase, but I have noticed that on cubase when the "control room" is activated, in the virtual chanels in TM FX, I get signal on both AN1/2, PH3/4. And at the same time if computer sound is also coming from let's say youtube that is also sent to AN1/2. These 2 identical cubase signals are sent to phones, they are summed up and I get more loudness. I am not sure if that would lead to distortion or clipping. I don't notice any though. How would this happen?

There are posts in the internet that people made similar experience with higher volume when using cubase control room. I am using Cubase since long and when I tried working with the control room I had first the same issues.
Somebody explained to me why and this can be changed, but sorry, it's so long ago that I forgot what needs to be changed.

Anyway, since I use RME and TotalMix FX the Cubase Control Room is not required anymore for me,
because I can create much better and more flexible submixes in TotalMix FX and even with much fewer latency.

If you use the Cubase control room, all audio has to go over USB and the RTL (round trip latency) over USB becomes even bigger if you need to work with higher ASIO buffer sizes.

When I record e.g. guitar to a backing track, then I can route the recorded guitar signal directly to phones in near-zero latency together with the backing track coming from the PC. This is all much faster with less latency and gives more flexibility in routing.

13 (edited by mkok 2021-10-10 12:37:11)

I too use Cubase (30 years!) but don’t use control room. I also find it better to use TotalMix.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

@Ramses
I feel I have to answer or make some things clear..

Sorry, but that's where our opinions and experiences diverge.

There nothing wrong in diverging opinions and experiences.

You said you didn't know how to flash the BBFP.

NO. I just said that I had not done this recently so as to remember how it is done without having to look it up. I did it once, when I first set it up, and frankly I do not need to memorize everything. I like to know where information is available, and even better when I have a conversation with someone who knows, ask him. And last I did not want to upgrade since it was working more than fine on my first computer.

All in all you said you have this device now since 1.5 years. So in that long time you really did not get managed to get up to manual page 15? But sorry, will all respect, you can't complain about a manual without knowing it.

Why are you surprised? I NEVER read a manual throughout. Usually I start with a quick start if available and go to the part I need to check. And your mileage may vary. The BF is a usb interface, and knowledge obtained from others is sufficient to start and then get into deep when needed. I have read just enough to get me going, and every day I return to find something new. I did not say that the manual does not cover everything. I say that it could be more detailed and analytic, which I believe is not.
And I did not need workspaces. At least I never thought that if it got into an inconsistent state, a recall of a stored
workspace would solve a problem. Now I know that too.

Sorry but this is a lot information and speculation, I see e.g. no issues that might come in this case from nVidia.
I won't comment on that further, I think it doesn't lead into the proper direction.

What I do know is that until yesterday every 3 times I started cubase, I got 2 unexpected error termination messages. Sometimes even opening total mix while in Cubase or moving it to another monitor was enough to shut the program down. Now all these are gone. The Steinberg forum is full of complains about Nvidia/ryzen conflicts with Cubase.

Anyway you understand that it is not necessary to agree in all matters, I just wanted to clarify the above.
Your posts have useful info to which I will return. I will take into consideration the advice regarding the workspaces and the control panel.

Thanks again.

Dimitris

15 (edited by ramses 2021-10-10 15:54:50)

I think you should look now forward and work on the action points on your side.
To prevent any misunderstanding, I mean those from post #8 and #12:

Next steps

It would be better if you would work now on a few action points, lets start with that from Matthias Carstens:

1. from MC: to post a screenshot of TM FX window on AMD machine, RME needs to see the visual status of TM FX.
    Maybe they can see something why mute/solo does not work.

Then either wait for feedback or maybe check also this:

2. save your current TM FX configuration (Save Workspace As) to a file, so that you can come back to it at any time
3. reset TM FX (total reset), try whether Solo and Mute work and report back
optional:
4. restore the last state (before the TM FX reset) by performing "Load Workspace" ... and select the workspace file that you stored in step 2. Then you are back at the previous TM FX settings before the reset.

You misunderstand me. I said "I do not read manuals from beginning to end". I read them as far as needed to get started and come back for everything new.
And I'm sorry to say that again, as much as I like my BF I still believe the manual, and especially regarding the TM fx, is very condensed and packed to get into it quickly. One needs to spend much more time than expected to get into details of its functionality. And believe I do know about manuals in my 64th year of age and a PhD Eng. behind me.

regarding next steps:

OK, I can do 2. and 3. so they may be handy in the future.
But 1. and 4. will not be of any use since the mute /solo issue was gone after I changed my NVIDIA drivers.
If that is what you mean.
Of course I can do it if you think is going to help, but as I told you now everything is fine.

Dimitris

I have doubts that the nVidia driver impacts solo/mute of TM FX.
But if it runs now then its fine.

ramses wrote:

I have doubts that the nVidia driver impacts solo/mute of TM FX.
But if it runs now then its fine.

I really regret going for the ryzen and nvidia package.
I have had many issues with the combination, in all these 10 months I have it, some were solved by using a studio driver in the beginning (this made serious improvement) but some problems prevailed. The driver I am using now seems to be far better than the old one.
Unfortunately this computer is significantly faster and I use the old one only on lighter projects.
The NVIDIA card I bought for 150euros now retails for 290 if one finds it, and finding another one from AMD would mean even more money for something last year costed less than half.
One solution would be to sell this pc but I cannot go through the procedure of the transition I went through in January

Dimitris