Topic: Adat - ADI 2 pro to Fireface UFX

Hello

I am trying to link the ADI 2 Pro FS R using optical cable to RME Fireface UFX via ADAT ports.

It does not sync or detect. I have tried two optical cables and they work perfectly with other devices (Audient ASP880 via ADAT to Fireface UFX works automatically, ADI Pro FS R does not!)

I have tried different sample rates and both ADAT input ports on the Fireface UFX.

What am I doing incorrectly?

2 (edited by Gregos 2021-11-10 12:31:07)

Re: Adat - ADI 2 pro to Fireface UFX

KaiS wrote:

ADI-2 Pro‘s Optical Input is SPDIF (stereo) only, not ADAT (8-channel).

You have to configure Fireface UFX‘s Optical Output for SPDIF.

Thank you Kais.

What about the other way: ADI 2 Pro output to Fireface UFX input? (via ADAT/SPDIF)

There seems to be no SPDIF selection option for ADAT input in the Fireface UFX settings app.

I'm stumped.

p.s. there is more complexity in the setup, but I have temporarily eliminated everything else. If you're curious, there is a Burl B2 ADC input to Fireface UFX via AES connection (xlr) and there is a Fireface UFX AES output going into ADI 2 Pro FS AES input...

The use case is for routing analogue loops during mastering and being able to print via Burl B2 ADC, OR ADI 2 Pro FS ADC

3 (edited by ramses 2021-11-10 12:33:58)

According to manual ch 5.1:

"Optical I/O (TOSLINK): The unit automatically detects SPDIF or ADAT input signals. The optical output can operate as ADAT or SPDIF output, depending on the current setting in the Setup menu (Options, Hardware/Diagnostics). Note that only channels 1/2 from the ADAT stream can be accessed. SMUX and SMUX4 (up to 192 kHz) are still supported."

I can confirm that this works:
UFX+ -- ADAT2 OUT -------------------> ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

UFX+ settings dialog: Optical 2 Out set to: "ADAT 2"

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

According to manual ch 5.1:

"Optical I/O (TOSLINK): The unit automatically detects SPDIF or ADAT input signals. The optical output can operate as ADAT or SPDIF output, depending on the current setting in the Setup menu (Options, Hardware/Diagnostics). Note that only channels 1/2 from the ADAT stream can be accessed. SMUX and SMUX4 (up to 192 kHz) are still supported."

The manual doesn't reflect what is happening unfortunately... I am getting absolutely no signal. Will test again tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help so far gentlemen smile

5 (edited by ramses 2021-11-11 05:06:21)

Gregos, did I understand correctly, that this is your cabling ?

ADI-2 Pro -- ADAT OUT----------------> ADAT? IN -- Fireface UFX

What ADAT ports do you use on the UFX ?

I ask because on the Fireface UFX the
- ADAT2 ports can be configured for ADAT or SPDIF, but
- ADAT1 only supports ADAT (not SPDIF) protocol.
The protocol (ADAT or SPDIF) needs to match between the two devices !!

I suggest to use ADAT as protocol, because then you have two advantages:
a) you can configure the ADI-2 Pro's output for ADAT protocol and connect it to UFX to either ADAT1 or ADAT2 in,
b) if you configure ADAT2 port on UFX to use ADAT protocol for in and out, then ADAT2 port is independend from AES, see block diagram.

Configure ADI-2 Pro and UFX to use ADAT protocol:
1. ADI-2 Pro (latest firmware): "Setup->Options->SPDIF/Remap Keys -> Optical Out -> ADAT"
    ADI-2 Pro manual needs a correction here, it changed with more recent firmware
2. UFX: RME driver settings under Input and Output Options:
"Optical 2 In    ---> ADAT 2"
"Optical 2 Out ---> ADAT 2"

Regarding clock: who is clock master in this setup ?
If you use the UFX as clock master, then you also need to provide a TOSLINK cable from UFX to ADI-2 Pro.

BTW .. you can check ADAT ports and TOSLINK cables by performing a loop test on each of the devices.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Gregos, did I understand correctly, that this is your cabling ?

ADI-2 Pro -- ADAT OUT----------------> ADAT? IN -- Fireface UFX

What ADAT ports do you use on the UFX ?

I ask because on the Fireface UFX the
- ADAT2 ports can be configured for ADAT or SPDIF, but
- ADAT1 only supports ADAT (not SPDIF) protocol.
The protocol (ADAT or SPDIF) needs to match between the two devices !!

I suggest to use ADAT2 as protocol, because then you have two advantages:
a) you can configure the ADI-2 Pro's output for ADAT protocol and connect it to UFX to either ADAT1 or ADAT2 in,
b) if you configure ADAT2 port on UFX to use ADAT protocol for in and out, then ADAT2 port is independend from AES, see block diagram.

Configure ADI-2 Pro and UFX to use ADAT protocol:
1. ADI-2 Pro (latest firmware): "Setup->Options->SPDIF/Remap Keys -> Optical Out -> ADAT"
    ADI-2 Pro manual needs a correction here, it changed with more recent firmware
2. UFX: RME driver settings under Input and Output Options:
"Optical 2 In    ---> ADAT 2"
"Optical 2 Out ---> ADAT 2"

Regarding clock: who is clock master in this setup ?
If you use the UFX as clock master, then you also need to provide a TOSLINK cable from UFX to ADI-2 Pro.

BTW .. you can check ADAT ports and TOSLINK cables by performing a loop test on each of the devices.

Ramses you are the King. Thank you for your help!

The problem seems to have been my inability to navigate to the optical output setup on ADI 2 Pro. That menu is tricky to operate sometimes!

So right now everything is working perfectly. For everyone interested I have RME Fireface UFX operating as master usb interface, ADI 2 pro operating as DAC, and Burl B2 + ADI 2 Pro + Audient ASP880 all operating as ADC. All simultaneously! (ADAT input channel count dependent on sampling frequency for task/project ofcourse).

RME is great!

Thanks again smile

You're welcome :-) Great that it works, have fun !