Topic: ADI2 PRO FS R and Hifiman HE6se?

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm that the ADI2 PRO FS R delivers enough power for driving the Hifiman HE6se headphones? When using the high power balanced output there should be up to 3 W into 64 Ohm available.

Anyone using this combo?

Best regards, Mark

2 (edited by ramses 2021-11-14 18:49:43)

Re: ADI2 PRO FS R and Hifiman HE6se?

Hifiman HE6se has only (according to their website) an impedance of 50 ohms. This is "nothing" !
Even >250 ohms would not be an issue as it has been mentioned a several time here on this forum.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 94#p177594
"On your Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm you should listen no higher than about -28 dBr with contemporary Popmusic, -24 dBr with typical Jazz, -15 dBr with typical Classical.
Personally I‘m just listening with my DT880 600 Ohm through one of my mixed playlists on -31 dBr, without any feel to need bringing this up.
"

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 63#p163163
" DT880 600 ... [...] I know it can be very loud with RME, there is really no complain there, so not saying the RME can't deal with them.[...] "

Reply to that, he also has the 880 600 Ohm
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 72#p163172
"[...] I have the 880s 600 ohm phones.[...] "

So you can see .. really no issue.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi ramses,

Thank you for your response.

The Hifiman HE6 is a very low efficiency magnetoplanar headphone, a minimum power of 2W is recommended. Some people even drive it with a regular amp.

Any real world experience with an ADI2 FS R is much appreciated.

Regards, Mark

4 (edited by ramses 2021-11-14 20:01:42)

Ok thanks for the update, didn't know about that very specific model.
Then pls. check here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 96#p163596

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi ramses,

Super interesting link, anwering all of my questions. Thank you!

Regards, Mark

Mark_S wrote:

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm that the ADI2 PRO FS R delivers enough power for driving the Hifiman HE6se headphones? When using the high power balanced output there should be up to 3 W into 64 Ohm available.

Anyone using this combo?

Best regards, Mark

I'm using ADI2 Pro FS and HE6se v2 on balanced output, with PEQ. I get a comfortable volume level on low power, just under 0dB setting. On occasion, I switch to the high power mode when this isn't enough. Maybe I just don't prefer loud, but I've found no need for an external amplifier with this combination.

7 (edited by ning 2021-11-17 06:19:21)

He6se requires a lot of voltage swing and power. ADI-2’s single ended output can drive it to more than 108db on high gain before clipping. If you need more you can use balanced mode and that gives you a lot more power.

Compared to other headphones ADI-2 can only drive it to modest level. Depends on how loud you listen your mileage may vary.  >110db is very very loud for me.

There is a power graph in the manual section 34.18. You can see it output ~2.5W for 50ohm. Doing a few calculations you can easily reach that’s around 115db for your headphone.

Remember there is no warranty and no replacement parts for the ears ....

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Thank you all for your input.

In the meantime I have ordered an Audeze LCD-X an a Sennheiser HD 800 S. Both can be easily driven by the ADI-2 Pro and unbalanced connection.

Currently playing around with different EQ settings and deciding which of these two to keep... Tough decision process ;-)

Best regards, Mark

10 (edited by ramses 2021-11-19 20:31:28)

> Tough decision process

I personally would choose magnetostatic phones.

I do not like the thin sound of the HD 800's and you hardly find a defined position for your ears in the extremely large headphone shells. It's also so light that it slips off your head easily, which makes it even harder to find a defined / reproducible position for your ears.

LCD-X has a very good sound quality and reasonable bass fundament. If the weight is no issue and if you like the sound ...

11 (edited by Mark_S 2021-11-19 21:01:50)

Well, the HD 800 S sounds cleaner, tighter, more detailed and spacious than the LCD-X. Bit less bass and definitely less "impact". Overall more on the technical and less emotional side. Maybe better for working but less suitable for enjoying.

I am currently as well tending to keep the Audeze. Without equalizing, however, horrible. The Senn is less horrible without EQ.

BR, Mark

12 (edited by KaiS 2021-11-19 22:05:57)

Mark_S wrote:

I am currently as well tending to keep the Audeze. Without equalizing, however, horrible..

Try following EQ:

B    G     F       Q   Type
1   -4.0  780    1.0 Peak
2   +4.0 1.36k 0.5 Peak
3   +3.0 3.7k   1.5 Peak
4   -1.0  5.3k   5.0 Peak
5   +2.0 8.5k   3.5 Shelv

Then play with the gains (G) to optimize the result to your personal taste.
Salt and pepper with the Bass/Treble controls.

13 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-11-20 06:28:39)

I like the sound of planar magnetic drivers too, but the price is too dear for me (and the prices go higher and higher due to the Hi-Res trend), so I bought the Austrian Audio Hi-X55, it sounds so clean and nice, also comfortable to wear.

14 (edited by KaiS 2021-11-20 12:55:39)

Johannes AU wrote:

I like the sound of planar magnetic drivers too, but the price is too dear for me (and the prices go higher and higher due to the Hi-Res trend), so I bought the Austrian Audio Hi-X55, it sounds so clean and nice, also comfortable to wear.

The lower tier Hifiman are not expensive.
I have the:

•  Hifiman HE-4XX (Drop version $159) which I use for mixing in my studio, despite having 30 times more expensive ‘phones - it just fits my taste and leads to great mixes.

• Hifiman HE-5XX, the Drop version of the Deva, $220.
It’s positively warm neutral, bass rolls off below 35 Hz, if the baffle is sealed to the driver it goes down to 22 Hz.
Very lightweight and comfortable.
Not too far away in resolution from my significantly brighter:

• Hifiman HE-1000 V1, slightly V-shaped, bright but smooth treble, close to STAX resolution.

The only downside of the Hifiman ‘phones:
These guys don’t know how to built a sturdy gimbal joint.
So many versions, but the lower tier ones seem to have a tendency to break if not handled carefully - did not happen to me I have to admit.

Or on the HE-1000: the joint squeeked and had to high play, I had to make a new brass insert with better fit.
A really small (and no cost) part with such a huge effect when properly manufactured.

KaiS wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

The lower tier Hifiman are not expensive.
I have the:

•  Hifiman HE-4XX (Drop version $159) which I use for mixing in my studio, despite having 30 times more expensive ‘phones - it just fits my taste and leads to great mixes.

• Hifiman HE-5XX, the Drop version of the Deva, $220.
It’s positively warm neutral, bass rolls off below 35 Hz, if the baffle is sealed to the driver it goes down to 22 Hz.
Very lightweight and comfortable.
Not too far away in resolution from my significantly brighter:

• Hifiman HE-1000 V1, slightly V-shaped, bright but smooth treble, close to STAX resolution.

The only downside of the Hifiman ‘phones:
These guys don’t know how to built a sturdy gimbal joint.
So many versions, but the lower tier ones seem to have a tendency to break if not handled carefully - did not happen to me I have to admit.

Or on the HE-1000: the joint squeeked and had to high play, I had to make a new brass insert with better fit.
A really small (and no cost) part with such a huge effect when properly manufactured.

Than you KaiS for the detailed information, but I myself do not like Hifiman .. do not ask me why ....

Johannes AU wrote:

Than you KaiS for the detailed information, but I myself do not like Hifiman .. do not ask me why ....

Why smile

What ‘phones do you like?

KaiS wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

Why smile

What ‘phones do you like?

Frankly speaking, I do not know at the moment, if Austrian Audio built a planar headphone, may be it is the choice, I prefer European made headphone, sounds more musical to me .... and I also prefer something flat, so I can EQ it at the RME Dac ....