1 (edited by LizardKing123 2021-11-21 04:13:22)

Topic: Thinking about buying this impressive dac ADI-2 DAC FS

I am  mulling and pondering about getting the ADI-2 DAC FS DAC. i want to you owners a few questions and hoping you can share your experiences. Does it matter which DAC decoder is used, AK or the ESS sabre? I have read there are no sound differences unless it is measured. Can any of you confirm this? How much time does the unit require in for Break in or burn in?

I plan on using the USB input as the primary source . Does it matter which USB cable is use, one that is highly damped and has a noise filter versus a typical USB type B cable?

I do at times listen to DSD and i do own some DSD 512 recordings. Looks like this unit can decode DSD 256 files. Can the unit via a firmware update in the future playback DSD 512 files?

Looks as if a good Linear PSU is not needed based on what I have read, is this true?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Liz

2 (edited by ning 2021-11-21 06:10:10)

Re: Thinking about buying this impressive dac ADI-2 DAC FS

> Does it matter which DAC decoder is used, AK or the ESS sabre?

No

> I have read there are no sound differences unless it is measured. Can any of you confirm this?

Yes.

The AKM and ESS version share similar set of filters.
but SD LD is only available on AKM and Brickwall is only available on ESS.
Some people (I haven't met one in my life) may be able to hear filter difference but it's super super nuanced.  I can't.

> How much time does the unit require in for Break in or burn in?

zero. If the sound changes after burn in, the unit is damaged and you need to contact support.

> I plan on using the USB input as the primary source . Does it matter which USB cable is use, one that is highly damped and has a noise filter versus a typical USB type B cable?

The unit come with a usb cable. just use that.

> I do at times listen to DSD and i do own some DSD 512 recordings. Looks like this unit can decode DSD 256 files. Can the unit via a firmware update in the future playback DSD 512 files?

technically possible for ESS and AK4493 version but please be aware that it won't support dsd512. RME won't support DSD512 for the time to come.

Practically speaking, many people buy this DAC because of RME technologies (particularly inbox DSP features such as EQ, B/T, Loudness, crossfeed, etc).
Such features are only available in PCM playback.

If you're a DSD fan, you'll lose the most important reason to buy this DAC. 
I personally won't recommend this product to those who only listen DSD, especially DSD512.

> Looks as if a good Linear PSU is not needed based on what I have read, is this true?

True.
it comes with a power supply. just use that.

3 (edited by ramses 2021-11-21 07:46:40)

I put together some information about the different models and RME technology / features that you get.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ses-EN-DE/

Quality wise .. you won't get a better device for the money with features that are outstanding / RME specific.

The four different reference levels will give you a higher SNR over a wider range of output level and the feature auto reflevel will choose the proper reference level and will honor your B/T and PEQ settings for the calculation which reference level to use. Also dynamic loudness is part of the calculation to use the ideal reference level to maximize for highest SNR and dynamic.

But as ning said .. no DSD512 .. but tbh .. who really cares. My personal opinion is, that DSD is overrated and only complicates things. You loose useful features because not every feature is available anymore when using DSD and then the large file sizes are also a pain to be download and stored.
As far as I know DSD content is in many cases simply based on PCM masters and DSD can not deliver any additional benefit.
I personally do not know any DAW software in studios that work with DSD files as native format.
So at the end everything is PCM based anyway from the beginning.
For me personally it's more pleasent to work with lossless wave/flac files, this content I can also easily transfer to mobile devices or laptop and carry it much easier with me.

Do not waste precious money for too expensive USB cables, digital transfer of audio data does not require it.
See my article about the bit test, which makes it possible for you to check lossless transfer of audio data end-to-end plus the CRC detection in the ASIO driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you to both of you for such great responses. I listen mostly to PCM and on occasion a DSD usually 128 or 256 as I only have two DSD 512s, one a sampler. I already own a very good USB cable and even have USB noise filters as my computer is raspberry PI 3B+. As an audiophile, you are usually striving to get the bets sound and with computers, there is noise so lowering the noise floor is a way of getting better SQ.

Most DACs, likely 98% that utilize external l Power supplies ship with cheap SMPS that inject noise into the system. That is why I asked about using a better Power supply.

Thanks again.

liz

5 (edited by ramses 2021-11-21 12:09:17)

LizardKing123 wrote:

I already own a very good USB cable and even have USB noise filters as my computer is raspberry PI 3B+.
As an audiophile, you are usually striving to get the bets sound and with computers, there is noise so lowering the noise floor is a way of getting better SQ.
Most DACs, likely 98% that utilize external l Power supplies ship with cheap SMPS that inject noise into the system. That is why I asked about using a better Power supply.

As an audiophile, you will be in many cases ripped off as a customer who is obviously willing to buy and you will be sold a lot of stuff with full-bodied promises, which in many cases is not necessary and only costs a lot of money.

Welcome to studio engineering, it's more about the cause than marketing. Should you think that studios with educated audio engineers are less audiophile than somebody who describes himself as audiophile (to have high quality expectations) then you are on the wrong track. The music you consume is produced there.

1st of all .. if there would be any high noise, be it through USB or the power supply ... how should the ADI-2 DAC be able to have such low values on SNR, THD ?

I do not know the Raspberry platform, as I do not need it. But aren't there also optical interfaces available ? To avoid any noise simply use optical transmission (ADAT, SPDIF), this provides galvanic isolation.

You can check whether the digital transmission through USB is ok, by checking the CRC counters in the RME driver. After installation of the ASIO driver you only need to use players that are capable to support ASIO drivers and keep the driver settings windows open during audio playback. Then watch the CRC counters. If there are no CRC errors, then the digital transport of audio data happened without any issue.

Next things for perfect / lossles audio transmission "end-to-end" is to check the audio stream itself.
If you turn the volume of your audio player down only a little, then the transmission is already not lossless anymore.
RME offers the so called Bittest. Test files (WAV format), that provide a certain bit pattern will be played by you in the audio player (best is to use the ASIO driver to exclude the Windows audio subsystem as much as possible). These test files are available for different sample rates and are free of charge. If this bit pattern arrives unmodified from the player up to the ADI-2 DAC/Pro then the DAC will show on the display, that the Bittest was successful.

By that you can fully validate the 100% lossless operation of your digital signal path.

In the blog article that I referred to you will find further information about RME features like Steadyclock, that ensure proper and very effective elimination of any potential clock jitter. The clock / timing will be fully refreshed by Steadyclock mechanism at the ADI-2 DAC/Pro and the D/A conversion will be performed with the devices own FS (Femto Second) clock.

RME is very cautious when measuring and is very open in communicating measurement values, see manual. The devices reach these excellent values. And it can be reached with the cheapest USB cable and with the power supply that will be provided / delivered with the DAC.

I don't want to start a religious war, but please get used to the idea that some things may work differently than you think, have heard or are used to.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Lots of wisdom here! Those usb cables is a rip off. Better save your money for a couple off monitors or some other cool gear. You know the places where the music happens and top quality really matters.

As to the DSD capabilities of ADI2-DAC fs Im sure you will find that in practical use you wont miss DSD512 or 1024. Like you said you have two files and one is a sampler.

Audiophile is just magical thinking so take the RED PILL and enter the world of pro-audio! big_smile

p.s You wont hear any PSU(or any other)noise with ADI2-DAC. When I first got it I thought the silence was almost spooky. You will get a new view of noisy recordings though. The ADI2-DAC will just play it as it is. Nothing added, nothing subtracted d.s

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

When you play digital music via RME Adi-2 DAC FS, you smiles.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Hi Lizard!

Our first "Welcome to RME" gift to you should be none other than the Official ADI-2 DAC User Manual!!   

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Because Knowledge is Power, You'll want this to gain a better understanding of the Unit, and maximize your ability to better utilize the wide array of very useful functionalities, and high level of performance that the RME offers to you.

Welcome to the Team!!

Best Regards,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

9 (edited by KaiS 2021-11-21 17:34:43)

LizardKing123 wrote:

Thank you to both of you for such great responses. I listen mostly to PCM and on occasion a DSD usually 128 or 256 as I only have two DSD 512s, one a sampler. I already own a very good USB cable and even have USB noise filters as my computer is raspberry PI 3B+. As an audiophile, you are usually striving to get the bets sound and with computers, there is noise so lowering the noise floor is a way of getting better SQ.

The biggest source of (electrical) noise pollution in a system like yours is the computer.

Optical would be the cleanest connection, as it completely isolates your audio chain from the computer environment.
Some USB filters try to do the same, most don’t.

BTW: it’s not about to “improve” the digital signal in any way, which is not possible and makes no sense for bits and bytes.
It’s about suppression or isolation of ground related electrical pollution that can creap down your chain up to your power amp / speakers.

BTW2: if you just listen to ‘phones plugged into ADI-2 this all is of no concern.
ADI-2 itself is completely immune to external disturbances, will deliver a perfectly clean signal whatever you feed it with.

Before considering a change in the interconnect department, execute a simple test:
• Run a VERY quiet piece of music, like some pianissimo classical recording.
• Now bring the volume up until it does sound “normal” loudness.
• Stop the music.
• Do you hear any noise?
• If not, you don’t have a noise problem!

If you hear noise, come back here and we will assist you, how to setup a noise-free system.

LizardKing123 wrote:

Thanks again.

liz

If you want to improve your sound quality, the first step is to throw away your raspberry 3 and buy version 4 instead. 3 has an irq bug that is impossible to fix via software. Usb audio will have noticeable hiccups if you use UAC2 on the 3.

Second. If you really worry about noise, Borrow a measuring device such as the mighty ADI-2 Pro FS (or buy a cosmos ADC) and measure your device. You will see the  noise floor is so low so you should not worry about usb cable or power supply. What you really should do is to avoid ground loops. That’s audible.

Finally, buy measuring headphones / dummy heads. Measure your speakers and do room correction. Measure your headphone and do EQ. Those things are much more important than THD.

Besides all the technical mojo ... the ADI-2 DAC FS is a little masterpiece of electronic, it's extremely well designed and worth every penny. You can't go wrong with it. Simply try and have fun with it.

I have soldered two wires underneath the RPI 3B+ on the proper GPIO pins to bypass the Micro USB power in. Currently, I have an Audioquest Jitterbug FMJ plugged into the USB port before an impedance matched USB cable to my current little Dac which iss good sounding, not as good as RME yet can play DSD 512. I have an excellent linear power supply for the RPI and Dac now.

liz
If you want to improve your sound quality, the first step is to throw away your raspberry 3 and buy version 4 instead. 3 has an irq bug that is impossible to fix via software. Usb audio will have noticeable hiccups if you use UAC2 on the 3.

Second. If you really worry about noise, Borrow a measuring device such as the mighty ADI-2 Pro FS (or buy a cosmos ADC) and measure your device. You will see the  noise floor is so low so you should not worry about usb cable or power supply. What you really should do is to avoid ground loops. That’s audible.

Can either of the two headphones drive my 300 Ohm Sennheisher headphones well?

LizardKing123 wrote:

Can either of the two headphones drive my 300 Ohm Sennheisher headphones well?

Yes, both ADI-2 Pro and DAC can drive almost every headphones with ease.
Enough voltage, enough current, enough power for earsplitting levels (don’t do it!), so impedance doesn’t matter.

15 (edited by Curt962 2021-11-23 04:40:05)

Hi Lizard!

Manoman, before we succumb any further to "Analysis Paralysis"...

It simply must be understood that RME communicates with, and understands well the needs, and use-cases of it's user base.  (This Forum plays a Role in that)  To better serve it's customers, and when warranted to do so, RME tailors the various subsystems within the ADI-2 DAC / Pro to suit those needs more precisely. RME has been doing this a long time, and so you can trust that your Sennheisers will present no obstacle to the RME.

I understand pre-purchase Due Diligence, but were you to actually connect an ADI-2 DAC or Pro into your system, you would quickly hear/observe that the Hand-Wringing, Gray Hairs, and Sleepless Nights were all for naught.  Using Actual Science,  The RME lays waste to the myriad of lesser devices that can only make weak promises (insert names here)

Indeed, I had my Magic-Infused, Extra Sensory "Audiophile" days...and now I am just SO done with BS, "Imagineering" with my Gear.  wink   I want gear that works for real.  (Something that my Wife can hear!   Without her adopting some kooky audio "belief system" ...

"Dear?  Surely you can hear the MASSIVELY enlarged Soundstage, and Nuanced Presentation Yes?"

Blank Stare.....  sad

(The Reviewers Lied)

Based on those horrid experiences...

The RME suits me well!

Wife Likes it!! 

Aside from all of my sordid history, please know that the vast majority of us here are plain old RME Users. (Some of us older than others) We're not Paid Reps, etc.    As many others here, I paid Hard US Currency for my ADI-2 DAC, and I don't miss a Penny of it.  This thing works good!!

I've been here a long time, and know that none of us would promote a product that didn't perform to our likings.

From my vantage point high atop a Lofty Perch amidst the User Base over some Years...I've been impressed!   Gosh!   The DAC I bought 3yrs ago is no longer the same device!   Firmware revisions have brought about numerous useful improvements, and have continually added Value, and utility to my purchase, at no added cost/inconvenience to me.

In short?

Your Satisfaction is now only limited by the absence of an RME in your playback chain. 

You know how to correct this I'm sure. smile

Best,

Curt

Oh!!  One last note:

*  I've never in 3yrs invested so much as a single Femtosecond troubleshooting "Noise"   

Unless the Audio System is completely Balls'd up...There is no noise.  That's a real life user fact.

16 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-11-23 06:14:37)

Curt962 wrote:

Hi Lizard!

Manoman, before we succumb any further to "Analysis Paralysis"...

It simply must be understood that RME communicates with, and understands well the needs, and use-cases of it's user base.  (This Forum plays a Role in that)  To better serve it's customers, and when warranted to do so, RME tailors the various subsystems within the ADI-2 DAC / Pro to suit those needs more precisely. RME has been doing this a long time, and so you can trust that your Sennheisers will present no obstacle to the RME.

I understand pre-purchase Due Diligence, but were you to actually connect an ADI-2 DAC or Pro into your system, you would quickly hear/observe that the Hand-Wringing, Gray Hairs, and Sleepless Nights were all for naught.  Using Actual Science,  The RME lays waste to the myriad of lesser devices that can only make weak promises (insert names here)

Indeed, I had my Magic-Infused, Extra Sensory "Audiophile" days...and now I am just SO done with BS, "Imagineering" with my Gear.  wink   I want gear that works for real.  (Something that my Wife can hear!   Without her adopting some kooky audio "belief system" ...

"Dear?  Surely you can hear the MASSIVELY enlarged Soundstage, and Nuanced Presentation Yes?"

Blank Stare.....  sad

(The Reviewers Lied)

Based on those horrid experiences...

The RME suits me well!

Wife Likes it!! 

Aside from all of my sordid history, please know that the vast majority of us here are plain old RME Users. (Some of us older than others) We're not Paid Reps, etc.    As many others here, I paid Hard US Currency for my ADI-2 DAC, and I don't miss a Penny of it.  This thing works good!!

I've been here a long time, and know that none of us would promote a product that didn't perform to our likings.

From my vantage point high atop a Lofty Perch amidst the User Base over some Years...I've been impressed!   Gosh!   The DAC I bought 3yrs ago is no longer the same device!   Firmware revisions have brought about numerous useful improvements, and have continually added Value, and utility to my purchase, at no added cost/inconvenience to me.

In short?

Your Satisfaction is now only limited by the absence of an RME in your playback chain. 

You know how to correct this I'm sure. smile

Best,

Curt

Oh!!  One last note:

*  I've never in 3yrs invested so much as a single Femtosecond troubleshooting "Noise"   

Unless the Audio System is completely Balls'd up...There is no noise.  That's a real life user fact.

Curt, I love the word "Imagineering" smile

17 (edited by CrispyChips 2021-11-23 16:15:27)

Quote: “From my vantage point high atop a Lofty Perch amidst the User Base over some Years...I've been impressed!”

Frankly, I’ve been impressed by your vantage point.

It would stunningly impress anyone, as it is an extremely lofty perch, atop indeed!

Quote: “Curt, I love the word "Imagineering"”

It’s a great word to describe the creative genius of whoever came up with TotalMixFX!

But is in fact what is known in English as a contraction or portmanteau. The compressing together or blending of two words to formulate an altogether new one.

An example of a such a contraction would be the word irregardless.

A word certain people like to contend with me, that there is no such word!

Appearing for the first time in 1795 and emerging from North America, this contraction of two words gained sufficient use across the world in writings, that it was included in the dictionary.

However, it is a merely a contraction of two words that could be readily be used entirely interchangeably, irrespective and regardless. Blended together to create the word irregardless.

(I have a pal who works in the New Word Dept. of the OED, widely regarded as the accepted authority on the English language. Its amazing, both how many new words emerge year by year, and how radically they can change over time).

One important differential between the OED and most dictionary’s, is that both the original meaning of the word is given, as at its first recorded use; and every recorded change in that word’s meaning chronologically, as it has evolved over time. Enabling the tracing of the history of a words development over centuries. The extraordinary thing is, some words today, mean the exact opposite, that they did originally. The word "Fine" is a good example.

Thus, “Imagineering” is a contraction or portmanteau, a blend of two words "imagination" and "engineering".

Its meaning, is the implementation of creative ideas in practical form.

The word was originally created by Alcoa, Cira 1940, and used in a great many publications of various types, many scientific, which ensured its inclusion in the dictionary.

(For a word to be accepted in the OED there are very strict rules. These relate to the number of times a word is used in printed publications and the world-wide extent of their use and acceptance internationally).

“Imagineering” is in fact a registered trademark of The Walt Disney Company, “Walt Disney Imagineering”. However, as explained, neither Disney nor anyone in his company “imagined” or "engineered" the word. I have some great stories about Walt Disney, but will spare you them here.

18 (edited by Curt962 2021-11-24 03:29:43)

Well Folks,

Steering this discussion back toward Lizard King's inquiry...

Lizard?  Where on this Earth are you located?   Here in the US, we have some fine Pro-Gear Retailers that could swiftly have RME product at your Door, so long as you don't wait until the Holiday Shipping Crush which typically begins around Dec.15...
*(This date closely correlates with EU/UK timetables as well)

Things CAN take a bit longer during this time period, So!!  "Forewarned is Forearmed" wink

I think I can speak for the group as a Whole, and say that we all most certainly hope to hear of your new RME acquisition real soon!!

Much enjoyable listening awaits you.   

Kindest Regards,

Curt

LizardKing123, after you got the Dac, just plug and play, nothing more but enjoyment of true sound of music!

Curt962 wrote:

Well Folks,

Steering this discussion back toward Lizard King's inquiry...

Lizard?  Where on this Earth are you located?   Here in the US, we have some fine Pro-Gear Retailers that could swiftly have RME product at your Door, so long as you don't wait until the Holiday Shipping Crush which typically begins around Dec.15...
*(This date closely correlates with EU/UK timetables as well)

LOL I am on the east coast in the Empire State.

Things CAN take a bit longer during this time period, So!!  "Forewarned is Forearmed" wink

I think I can speak for the group as a Whole, and say that we all most certainly hope to hear of your new RME acquisition real soon!!

Much enjoyable listening awaits you.   

Kindest Regards,

Curt

21 (edited by Curt962 2021-11-25 23:02:49)

Lizard!

I decipher from that you're in NY State.  Ok!  I spent a number of years living in the Hudson Valley.  Really fine area.

So?  Get your RME ordered ASAP, and let us know!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Best!

Curt

RME ADI-2 DAC FS with the Ak4493 Dac Chip on order.

Splendid!

Thanks for sharing that, and trust that you've made a wise choice.   

Welcome to the User group!

Curt

Received the DAC. Playing through USB currently, very nice. Using a Belkin USB cable through a USB noise filter, very nice so far. I have a cable on order that has twin Ferrite beads, silver coated conductors and gold plated connectors, low cost.

Will listen later and report back.

Nice, but you won't recognize an audible difference, plain USB cable with good connectors will do.
My preferred cables come from Lindy, I take there the premium cables with good plugs and shielding.

26 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-01 04:05:37)

Lizard,

Wow!  That was fast delivery!  We're all very pleased that you're up, and running so smoothly right out of the box  Super! 

On Cables:  To be quite "Curt" regarding the matter, most of us here focus more on Build Quality, Flexibility, and Robust, Snug Fitting Connections.  None of these factors need cost a lot, and generally dont.

https://i.ibb.co/MZ4dnVT/318rodr-2.jpg

Provided it's long enough to suit your needs, the USB Cable which RME included with your new ADI-2 DAC is really all you need!  It's a fine USB Cable meeting all current USB Data Transmission Standards, and 100% Pixie-Dust Free!  smile

Enjoy your new RME!!

Welcome to the Group once again.

Curt

Belkin doesnt exactly fall into the high-end cable department. My advice to you LizardKing123: take a look at Thomann website for your interconnect and speaker cable needs. They have ALOT of no-nonsence products. Readymade or DIY. With very reasonable pricing. You´ll learn something along the way too. (I did manage to find a €80 1 metre spdif coax cable though, which I bought, but thats just me big_smile ) If you read yourself up try to get cables that are into the specification of the formats like 110ohm for AES, 75 Ohm for spdif etc. Dont use longer cables than you need so they dont wind up in some snake nest of RF interference and capacitance. Keep it nice and tidy so you dont fall on them sending your new DAC flying through the room.

About the RME generic USB cable. My DAC came with a faulty one which disconnected everytime I let the air out. No biggie, I have kilometers of USB cables laying around from building PC´s. Needed a longer one anyway.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

28 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-01 13:07:36)

Happy_amateur wrote:

...With very reasonable pricing. You´ll learn something along the way too. (I did manage to find a €80 1 metre spdif coax cable though, which I bought, but thats just me big_smile )

Which is way overpriced already.

For 1 m SPDIF simply everything works that makes contact.
Even some pieces of bare wire would do the job - proved in my laboratory, not that I suggested to do this.

Sometimes the thicker, pricier cables can introduce problems that the thin cheap ones don’t by the same amount, specially in case of hum caused by ground loops.
The lower ground/ screen resistance enhances the adverse ground loop effect.

29 (edited by ramses 2021-12-01 13:15:51)

Thick cables can also be too stiff, so that the bending force exerts a lateral force on the plug on the unit. It is also not so nice for laying a cable in the room. Some cables have too small a bending radius or have a tendency to loop and not lay well.

To put one example where I know it (for coaxial cables it's similar): For TOSLINK cables the best example is Mutec vs Sommer Cable. The Sommer Cable is too stiff and it's additionally problematic to plug/unplug them if the plugs on the device are close to each other.

Very good: https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_1m.htm
More like a pain: https://www.thomann.de/de/sommer_cable_ … l_075m.htm

Qoute Kais:"For 1 m SPDIF simply everything works that makes contact.
Even some pieces of bare wire would do the job - proved in my laboratory, not that I suggested to do this"

That may just be right. And im not gonna try it big_smile

Ramses: Mutec optical is a favourite. Very handy and flexible. Had a lots of bad toslink cables which looses the jacketing on the contact. Its just get stuck in the device and falls apart when u unplug. Mutec is really solid and ergonomic, no cosmetics. Nice price too.

Lizardking: Congrats with your new DAC hope it will give u hours and hours of tinkering and audio pleasure!

The RME s so musical. triedmy 300 Ohm Sennheisher headphones, the dac did a decent job driving them, i will try and enable the higher power setting.

32 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-02 07:04:41)

LizardKing123 wrote:

The RME s so musical. triedmy 300 Ohm Sennheisher headphones, the dac did a decent job driving them, i will try and enable the higher power setting.

The label “High Power” can be a bit mistakable in the expectation what happens.
Switching it on does not change the headphone amp the slightest, no higher supply voltage or “more power”, which possibly could affect the amp’s sound.

The switching between “High-“ and “Low Power” only changes the DAC’s reference level the same way like for the line output.
Analog gain ist boosted by 15 dB, digital gain reduced by 15 dB.
You end with the same loudness, but can dial up 15 dB more (which will permanently deafen you immediately).

High Power is just more possible analog drive level/ headroom from the DAC into the headphone amp’s power stage.
This higher DAC headroom means less digital drive level of the DAC chip, so less Signal to Noise Ratio SNR, for the same listening loudness.
You can see the lower DAC level on the meters.

Might be a bit hard to understand, so my advice:
Use “Auto Reference Level” to let ADI-2 switch between High and Low and optimize SNR for your listening loudness demand, automatically.

Hi all,  I am trying to pull the trigger on my purchase.   I am  in the U.S. (Kentucky).  Not many places here to buy from.  Is Amazon a legit place to buy the REM-ADI-2 DAC?  The images I see, are mostly of a "black" colored box.  I like it.  Are they all black or do I need to choose the color?   Lastly,  I am a little confused (a lot actually) about the FS modal verses the new version.  I don't need the "Pro" modal, I am just a guy who wants to listen to digital music on my analog amps and speakers.  Is it the RME-ADI-2 DAC I need?  That is what I though it was called, so confused with the "FS" initials.

I'm sold on the unit, just want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks all!

34 (edited by ning 2021-12-02 02:27:14)

> Is Amazon a legit place to buy the REM-ADI-2 DAC?
Yes. As I read through the amazon page, it's sold by various dealers. If you run into issues Amazon will help you even in the worst case scenarios.

> The images I see, are mostly of a "black" colored box.  I like it.  Are they all black or do I need to choose the color?   

Black is the only color.

> Lastly,  I am a little confused (a lot actually) about the FS modal verses the new version.  I don't need the "Pro" modal, I am just a guy who wants to listen to digital music on my analog amps and speakers.  Is it the RME-ADI-2 DAC I need?

Right. RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Just don't buy the ADI-2 Pro, if you don't want recording functionality.

>   That is what I though it was called, so confused with the "FS" initials.

FS is just RME's marketing strategy to promote their updated clock technology. All DACs have the FS technology.
There's no non-FS version of DAC. See the table on https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32506
There are three versions of DAC released in different times due to DAC chip out of production. The feature set is identical. Performance is either improved (2nd version) or identical (3rd version). You'll be most likely getting the latest version if you buy now.

> I'm sold on the unit, just want to make sure I get the right one.

Congrats! You won't be disappointed with ADI-2 DAC;)

35 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-02 02:38:57)

Hi Marshall!

Sure.. Amazon is a Legitimate Seller.  Also in the US, we have Large, Pro-Gear Retailers like Guitar Center, and Sweetwater. 

They're all great to do business with, so take your pick, as they all have an ADI-2 DAC ready to send to you!

As I had told Lizard, the Holiday Shipping Crush peaks around Dec. 15, so get your order placed right away to avoid delays. 

You're gonna love your new RME!

Curt

*do take the time to review Ramses' "Tonstudio" overview of the RME line-up that Ning linked above.

here it is again:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32506

Ramses invested a great deal of effort to consolidate all of that information into one, easy to read document.

36 (edited by ning 2021-12-02 02:25:41)

Curt962 wrote:

Sure.. Amazon is a Legitimate Seller.  Also in the US, we have Large, Pro-Gear Retailers like Guitar Center, and Sweetwater.

Don't forget there's B&H Photo Video as well! Amazing service in the US.

ning wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Don't forget there's B&H Photo Video as well! Amazing service in the US.

Adorama also has stock smile

Hi again, if I could....ask a few more totally newbe questions...  will the ADI-2 FS allow me to listen to a) radio programs that are on the internet (not high quality for sure), b) listen to online music such as youtube, amazon prime HD, etc. (I pretty sure there are no format issues...but not 100% sure...), and c) CD's (that my wife still has and that I may start to pick up at yard sales...).  Outside of the ADI-2 DAC, if I wanted to listen to a turntable (which I don't have at the moment), how would I integrate that into a vintage audio (analog) system (do I need to buy another preamp?).  Sorry for all the questions...  I want to get this right...because if I don't, pretty sure the wife is going to cut my funding off for anything else (I already bought two pieces of vintage stuff..that ended up have bad components..and are now headed to goodwill).   Thanks again, very much.

39 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-03 18:09:50)

Marshall wrote:

Hi again, if I could....ask a few more totally newbe questions...  will the ADI-2 FS allow me to listen to a) radio programs that are on the internet (not high quality for sure), b) listen to online music such as youtube, amazon prime HD, etc. (I pretty sure there are no format issues...but not 100% sure...), and c) CD's (that my wife still has and that I may start to pick up at yard sales...).  Outside of the ADI-2 DAC, if I wanted to listen to a turntable (which I don't have at the moment), how would I integrate that into a vintage audio (analog) system (do I need to buy another preamp?).  Sorry for all the questions...  I want to get this right...because if I don't, pretty sure the wife is going to cut my funding off for anything else (I already bought two pieces of vintage stuff..that ended up have bad components..and are now headed to goodwill).   Thanks again, very much.

Internet radio, youtube, online music etc, you need streaming service, for example a piece of hardware such as iPhone or iPad plus an Apple camera kit USB3, (smart TV with toslink out too) or a computer with internet connection (*).
CD player with toslink or coaxial output will work with RME dac.
Then you need an Amp or a pair of active speakers.
If your amp has phono in, it would be fine for traditional turntable.
(*) you can use a USB turntable together with the computer.

Most likely other members here will provide you more advise smile

The ADI-2 DAC can play any sound from a PC or MAC and you can connect any digital source that can provide either an optical, coaxial or AES output. Example: CD, DAT, DAB radio or a streamer. You can set up the device to act like any other source to your exsisting HIFI system. You cant put an analog signal through the DAC ie. no turntables. For that you would need an integrated amp or a preamp with a built in RIAA.

The PRO version also has an analog input which digititizes the signal and allows for further digital prosessing. With a small RIAA device between the turntable and the PRO. The ADI-2 PRO can act as a preamp for your entire system.

Johannes: I write to slow, sorry for the double posting.

a USB turntable would work, but they are really at the bottom of the turntable foodchain. Often cheap and plasticky

42 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-03 18:19:20)

Happy_amateur wrote:

Johannes: I write to slow, sorry for the double posting.

a USB turntable would work, but they are really at the bottom of the turntable foodchain. Often cheap and plasticky

No problem smile

Yes, USB turntable(s) are not high end, some with both RCA output and USB output (with A/D conversion built in)

If he has a normal amp with standard phono RCA input, all would be fine.

You all are terrific!  That pretty much does it for me.  I'm all in on the RME-ADI-2 FS.  We have a fiber internet connection and get some crazy fast speeds.  So connecting a great ADI-2 FS through my PC listening to online music should be very good. I also have an old Onkyo CD player with a tosslink port (it's is about 30 years old, but has been in boxes most of that time. It should be fine for now and I can always upgrade someday). I have a great SONY TA3200 amp (100w circa 1972) in mint shape that sounds nice along with a set of Klipsch Heresy's (also circa 1972) - mint as well sounding good.  I'm excited to get this all up and running.  I miss having music in my life...   Thank you all for the awesome support.  I am glad I joined this forum.  :-)

44 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-04 03:16:23)

Hi Marshall!

Your proposed set up will work as you envisioned just as the others have pointed out, and trust that this is being done every day by a great many RME users.  It works fantastic!

On DAB Radio Streams?  They are what they are SQ wise, but we LOVE 'em nonetheless at my House! 

I'm an old Radiophile. wink

Else, you can have a wide variety of listening options at your fingertips every day!  Music stored on your Computer, Music Streaming Services, Radio Favorites from anywhere on Earth, etc.

The RME is not a "streaming device" but rather collects all the 1's, and 0's being sent to it by other devices, and converts them to Squiggly Signals that your Amplifier understands, and can work with.   The RME does this very well, and your Wife will surely approve.  You NEED her on board with your plans!

Don't be this guy!

https://i.ibb.co/7jXFhDR/post-10590-13819488415816.jpg

Have fun, and ENJOY!

Curt

Marshall wrote:

You all are terrific!  That pretty much does it for me.  I'm all in on the RME-ADI-2 FS.  We have a fiber internet connection and get some crazy fast speeds.  So connecting a great ADI-2 FS through my PC listening to online music should be very good. I also have an old Onkyo CD player with a tosslink port (it's is about 30 years old, but has been in boxes most of that time. It should be fine for now and I can always upgrade someday). I have a great SONY TA3200 amp (100w circa 1972) in mint shape that sounds nice along with a set of Klipsch Heresy's (also circa 1972) - mint as well sounding good.  I'm excited to get this all up and running.  I miss having music in my life...   Thank you all for the awesome support.  I am glad I joined this forum.  :-)

You are welcome smile

If you run a pc with a CD drive, you can play CD from it too, or rip the CD, store the files in the hard drive with your favourite collections. even an external CD/DVD drive can do the job, then from the hard drive you can play as many songs as you like by few clicks, no need to change discs physically.

THE SQ on this DAC is truly amazing . Too bad it can't decode DSD 512 as I know the Dac chip can.

47 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-04 05:52:25)

Lizard,

Beyond the fact that DSD anything is completely unworkable in the production phases of Audio, (where it REALLY matters) and a total Resource Hog on the playback end...

You have to wonder what your really getting with these alleged "super hi-res"
downloads.

My developer Son tested some of this material. His report to me?

"Dad!  This is Bullshit!  It's only 0.25db louder, but has the exact same Spectral content as the Redbook CD!  Both capped at about 12khz...no more...whatever you think your hearing isn't actually there"

So what did I pay for?

See there Lizard?  I've seen the Hi-Res data, and no longer believe that I'm getting more, because I'm not.  Because so much care went into their creation, the finest, most involving recordings in my collection tend to be 44/16.  Here's a YouTube example:

https://youtu.be/f9Ry7PqYfd8

From a Christmas Themed Album (Cantus: "All is Calm") that should (WILL) bring you to your Knees.  This Recording is the result of Tremendous Talent, and Engineering Expertise.  Not Sample Rate.

Summary:  Caveat Emptor.  The Ear is easily fooled by digital tricks applied afterward.

Curt

48 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-04 06:01:37)

DSD, SACD are past tense, MQA and the Hi-Res sticker will follow too.

Tons of hardware flooded the market because the advance of internet speed and storage(HD, SSD) price dropped. We can see so called Hi-Res earphones and dacs technically reached a figure that far beyond human ears can hear, and they claim that is 'headroom"...! No amp or speakers can reach that figure, what is the point? Are we forced to listen via so called Hi-Res headphones? Does the recording equipment reached that H-Res specification?

If 16/44.1 is no good and not bits, why hi-end CD players can ask for a fortune but not a digital storage for files? at least I cannot see a Hi-Res grade HD or SSD at the moment I write.

And, those hi-end cables are another joke ...

49 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-04 06:16:15)

Johannes,

Yep!  It's Crap, and we agree.

The SAME little Boy that I once chased away from huge, Hot Class A amplifiers has now become the Man that reveals BS to me.  Life is Good!

Best to You my Friend!

Curt

If I am not understanding wrong, in the old days, tape decks, PCM tape decks and turntables need a very precise and stable speed, wow and flutter applies, turntable needs another thing at the cartrige and arm to achieve those precison. At digital age, clock applies for jitter, CD drives need a good motor control combine with a good laser head rail ....  Both are for reproducing the source as original as possible.