Re: Thinking about buying this impressive dac ADI-2 DAC FS

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes,

Yep!  It's Crap, and we agree.

The SAME little Boy that I once chased away from huge, Hot Class A amplifiers has now become the Man that reveals BS to me.  Life is Good!

Best to You my Friend!

Curt

Hi Curt, I am using a class D amp, which sounds very good from the signal of RME dac, and it consumes much less electric current.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

About HIres Ive bought alot of files 44.1/24 which i checked with "bit statistics & noise" function in DIGICHECK. They where actually plain 44.1/16 + 8bits of nothing. Some other files, a TOOL album 96/24 use all the bits, but then u see in DIGICHECK "totalyzer" theres no ultrasound content whatsoever, it fall right of at 20khz. yikes Lots of scammer wanna ride the HIres train sad

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

53 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-04 09:42:13)

Happy_amateur wrote:

About HIres Ive bought alot of files 44.1/24 which i checked with "bit statistics & noise" function in DIGICHECK. They where actually plain 44.1/16 + 8bits of nothing. Some other files, a TOOL album 96/24 use all the bits, but then u see in DIGICHECK "totalyzer" theres no ultrasound content whatsoever, it fall right of at 20khz. yikes Lots of scammer wanna ride the HIres train sad

Yeah, everyone can "remaster" a CD track to any format, but cannot escape DigiCheck smile

I did show it to those HiFi experts by playing an upsampling CD track with the RME dac, and DigiCheck turn their face red.

Johannes AU: LOl big_smile

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

55 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-04 19:01:43)

Well all...

An old Audio dealer once told me: "Audiophiles buy with their Eyes, not their Ears..."

When we SEE some insane sample rate displayed on the device, Human Pyschology ensures we WILL hear it too!  wink

Expectation Bias anyone?

To that end, DSD 512 means nothing to me, and because there is a Cartoon for everything, I bring to you this treat. big_smile

https://i.ibb.co/kyZDZbh/post-10590-13819488300362.jpg

Resident Humorist,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

It's official... my RME-ADI2 FS was faithfully delivered by Fedex today.  I'll be spending  tomorrow reading the manual and getting it set up.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays.

57 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-11 03:02:30)

Marshall,

Groovy!!!  You'll really enjoy your new RME.  It's the best treat!

I'm genuinely happy you've come aboard the RME Train at the most Music-Centric time of year. smile

Curt

58 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-11 04:53:45)

Marshall, let this pretty angel play the music while reading, get a rough idea how it works, a new firmware will release soon, some add on will be at the manual.

Enjoy it, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I am so glad ti pulled the trigger on this wonderful Dac. Once i figured out the settings in the wonky menus, this Dac shines. i know of Dacs that cost a lot more thaat do not hacve the msuciality that this Dac does. Using the high power phone settings, I can really enjoy music through my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. Kudos to RME for thiswonderful unit.

60 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-12 17:19:51)

Hi again Lizard!

Perhaps I am the one who is a bit WONKY, as after a bit of use, the RME's Menu Structure seems quite intuitive to me.  ie:  947 Beers into the listening session, and I still know that Balance is found in the Vol menu!  wink

Could it be the User needs Break In?. smile

The Device is just fine!

Keep on enjoying!

Curt

61 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-12 18:06:55)

Curt962 wrote:

Hi again Lizard!

Perhaps I am the one who is a bit WONKY, as after a bit of use, the RME's Menu Structure seems quite intuitive to me.  ie:  947 Beers into the listening session, and I still know that Balance is found in the Vol menu!  wink

Could it be the User needs Break In?. smile

The Device is just fine!

Keep on enjoying!

Curt

Curt, it means both your ears are GOOD, no balance required.

But I do not believe 947 Beers .... big_smile

LizardKing123 wrote:

I am so glad ti pulled the trigger on this wonderful Dac. Once i figured out the settings in the wonky menus, this Dac shines. i know of Dacs that cost a lot more thaat do not hacve the msuciality that this Dac does. Using the high power phone settings, I can really enjoy music through my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. Kudos to RME for thiswonderful unit.

Auto Dark will make it stop shining ... tongue

Ditto LizardKing123 post....  all I can say so far is...wow!  Got the new ADI2 FS connected...(I didn't even stop yet to put a battery in the remote...)...tweeked the EQ with a little extra base and wallah!  Sound perfection!  Punchy, articulate, beautiful sound stage...everything I was hoping for and more even with the default settings. 

So glad I found this site, got the info and encouragement I needed to pull the trigger.  It was scary, I admit, (because the wife was already concerned about my apparent lack of skill buying vintage hi-fi...now I am redeemed!!!).  By far the very best hi-fi investment I have made.  Zero buyers remorse with this jewel. Thank you everyone!!!  I'll be learning now about all the nuances of the unit from here on out.  I could see myself buying a better amp in the future...but I also want to concentrate on how to collect songs (rip?) and what storage device to use.

I am running the ADI2 FS right into my amp to a pair of Klipsch Heresy's I's.  I couldn't ask for more.  The ADI2 FS has now replaced a faulty and unserviceable vintage SONY 1120F integrated amp, a $199 Schitt DAC (and out with the bath water will also go a fragile old Harman Kardan quad 800+ receiver that is so complex to work on it scares away even the most competent techs.).  In the end, my love affair with vintage sound just got schooled (dare I say punched in the month!!!) by a brand spanking new RME!!  :-) Love it!!!

So happy and grateful!   Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays!

64 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-13 15:41:09)

Hey again Marshall!

Wonderful that you're off to a fine start.  Many of us here advocate for the RME as a result of our past experiences with "other gear" and our collectively high degree of satisfaction with the RME.   Going forward, you may likely never think of DACs again! (Unless of course you're here in the forum)

We're happy for you.  Welcome aboard!!

Curt

*PS:  You've indicated that you enjoy Radio Streams.  Why not tune in (click in?) to our Local Classical Station.  WDAV.ORG

The Christmas Musical works/programs are being very well represented, and here at home WDAV is a fixture in the house. 

Happy Listening!

Hey All- Is the volume control for both the line out and the headphone section? Is it analog? I'm thinking of ordering 4 of these for a clients home system.

Nope!  The RME Volume Control is a 42 bit digital system of the upmost precision.  No Analog "Pot" can rival it.

The RME is the best in the business. Go for it! 

Curt

Hi Curt- OK, thanks. But the volume control also works for Line Out correct?

Barry,

Yes indeed it does! 

Why only 4 units?   Your Client surely needs 8 or 12. wink

I push the RME only because I think it's the best.

Your Customer will agree.

Curt

OK, thanks! DONE! I'm looking forward to trying them out smile

Hello All, the decision to get this Dac was am excellent choice. So far Al I have used is the USB input and a Belkin USB cable. I have NOT use as high end USB cable. Since my computer is a raspberry Pi 3b+ which does not  have the best USB output, the two filters I use, one at the source, Type A, and now the latest generation a the Dac type B have elevated the SQ to a higher , more analog level.

Hey Lizard,

As it's the Giving Season, why not give yourself a Pi-4, and give your set up a Donglectomy for the Holidays?  big_smile. The Pi4 has no USB issues, is small enough to smuggle into your house undetected, and it's low cost is easily disguised as an innocent Math error in your Checkbook.  Pi4 connects quite happily to your RME with no questions asked, and it works a treat. Bit Perfect, and 100% Dongle Free!

I'm SAVING you money. wink

Best,

Curt

72 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-16 16:21:55)

Hey Lizard...

Pi4 with a nice IPS Screen?

https://i.ibb.co/s69c8MF/20211116-102224.jpg

What else gives you so much?  wink

* Note the ADI-2 DAC Perched above.

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Hey Lizard...

Pi4 with a nice IPS Screen?

https://i.ibb.co/s69c8MF/20211116-102224.jpg

What else gives you so much?  wink

* Note the ADI-2 DAC Perched above.

Curt

Curt, have you opened the gift? or wait till boxing day? smile

74 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-16 16:49:34)

Johannes!

You know me better...  wink

I put this together a Year ago at about this time, and Love it!

Pi4 is how I added "future resistance" to my streaming set up which had been centered around my beloved, albeit EOL Squeezebox devices. 

No Ground Loops, no stuck sample rates, etc. (SB never had those maladies either, but if they break...they stay broken)

Now?  I have a seemingly unlimited device (at all sample rates/bit depths), and a Display that even a Guy YOUR AGE can see from across the Room. smile

Very Pleased, and 100 % BS-Free.

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes!

You know me better...  wink

I put this together a Year ago at about this time, and Love it!

Pi4 is how I added "future resistance" to my streaming set up which had been centered around my beloved, albeit EOL Squeezebox devices. 

No Ground Loops, no stuck sample rates, etc. (SB never had those maladies either, but if they break...they stay broken)

Now?  I have a seemingly unlimited device (at all sample rates/bit depths), and a Display that even a Guy YOUR AGE can see from across the Room. smile

Very Pleased, and 100 % BS-Free.

Curt

Merry Christmas !!!

76 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-16 23:42:11)

Dich auch mein Freund!

Frohliche Weihnachts!

Psst!  Why not join me in enjoying some nice Seasonal Music!

Www.wdav.org

I pay for it!
Alles verkostenlos für dich!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Dich auch mein Freund!

Frohliche Weihnachts!

Psst!  Why not join me in enjoying some nice Seasonal Music!

Www.wdav.org

I pay for it!
Alles verkostenlos für dich!

Curt

Thank you Curt, I downloaded the iPhone app of it, can play it via RME dac smile

78 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-17 13:49:41)

Perfect! 

We enjoy that quite a lot, particularly at this time of year.  Amongst all the Classical works are also the occasional recordings made in some of our fine local venues, and they are NICE!   

Another useful feature within the Free App is the ability to obtain the Album info (Title/Track/Performers/Record Label/Catalog #)  This simplifies sourcing a specific recording for your own collection.

At any rate...your RME will never get bored, and you'll never run out of Music, so enjoy! 

Curt

79 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-17 18:49:39)

Curt962 wrote:

Perfect! 

We enjoy that quite a lot, particularly at this time of year.  Amongst all the Classical works are also the occasional recordings made in some of our fine local venues, and they are NICE!   

Another useful feature within the Free App is the ability to obtain the Album info (Title/Track/Performers/Record Label/Catalog #)  This simplifies sourcing a specific recording for your own collection.

At any rate...your RME will never get bored, and you'll never run out of Music, so enjoy! 

Curt

Its wonderful, however, a track 20 mins ago triggered DC protection of the dac (at RCA line out) .. could be only this track, will try more by lowering the output level, as long as it doesn't hurt the dac...

Hmmm.  I've listened to them for a number of years, with a wide array of devices.  Never had such an occurrence.  I do on occasion see a lot of LF content during live Studio Breaks.  I communicated with them regarding the possibility of perhaps using better Mic isolation, a Pop screen to reduce Plosives from certain Mic-Hungry Hosts, and certainly their Post-Processing which sometimes seems a bit aggressive.    I thought SOME progress had been made.  I've had it on much of the morning.  No DC trips here.

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Hmmm.  I've listened to them for a number of years, with a wide array of devices.  Never had such an occurrence.  I do on occasion see a lot of LF content during live Studio Breaks.  I communicated with them regarding the possibility of perhaps using better Mic isolation, a Pop screen to reduce Plosives from certain Mic-Hungry Hosts, and certainly their Post-Processing which sometimes seems a bit aggressive.    I thought SOME progress had been made.  I've had it on much of the morning.  No DC trips here.

Curt

Curt, I stream it with iPhone app and feed to RME dac, the DC trip happened during a piece of music (it tripped twice within 15-30 seconds), not at voice broadcast section betwwen music, I will report to you if it trips again/too frequent.

82 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-18 08:02:04)

Curt962 wrote:

Curt

Curt, by turning off the auto dark, and observe the display while a track of music is streaming, I saw the 25Hz bar stay at -30 to -25 at some tracks (dancing a little bit).

And another trip close to the end of voice broadcast this morning, guess it is the problem of the streaming signal, wonder why not happen at your side, and just found another  pre-test firmware update, will test by running the latest one.

Update 1: It trips even with the 66/45.

Update 2: flash back to 66/41, DC protection not yet triggered.

Update 3: back to 66/45, it trips at www.wdav.org both toslink and USB input/RCA line out at same volume level, but not yet at other internet radio streams, most likely problem at wdac.....

Update 4: It trips at those internet radio streams with high outputs .... when lower the RME output level, seems it doesn't trip ... that said, the new DC protection is a very good safety tool.

DCP (Digital DC Protection) was not changed from 43 to 45. 41 did not have that feature (obviously).

I checked www.wdav.org, they indeed don't care about DC. Some classical recordings have a lot rumble down there, and the multiband compressor used on wdav.org seems to make that worse.

That said I had no DCP alarm in the last hour. But the Analyzer in DIGICheck or on the unit's display shows the issue is at the source.

There is a simple way to fix that, though. Use this DC filter (DC removed 100%) without causing audible issues.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/images/dc_filter.png

Of course it would be better for wdav.org to understand what they send out in the first place.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Curt962 wrote:

Hmmm.  I've listened to them for a number of years, with a wide array of devices.  Never had such an occurrence.

Of course. RME's new Digital DC Protection is not found anywhere else. A very special and unique feature that will reveal some nasty DC sources that you never noticed so far...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

DCP (Digital DC Protection) was not changed from 43 to 45. 41 did not have that feature (obviously).

I checked www.wdav.org, they indeed don't care about DC. Some classical recordings have a lot rumble down there, and the multiband compressor used on wdav.org seems to make that worse.

That said I had no DCP alarm in the last hour. But the Analyzer in DIGICheck or on the unit's display shows the issue is at the source.

There is a simple way to fix that, though. Use this DC filter (DC removed 100%) without causing audible issues.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/images/dc_filter.png

Of course it would be better for wdav.org to understand what they send out in the first place.

Thank you very much, Matthias !!

MC wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Hmmm.  I've listened to them for a number of years, with a wide array of devices.  Never had such an occurrence.

Of course. RME's new Digital DC Protection is not found anywhere else. A very special and unique feature that will reveal some nasty DC sources that you never noticed so far...

Maybe RME / you should think about the threshold levels of DC protection to avoid too many user complaints.

Personally I’m one not listening very loud so never stumbled about any DC protection issue even with the latest firmware.

87 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-18 14:00:02)

KaiS wrote:
MC wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Maybe RME / you should think about the threshold levels of DC protection to avoid too many user complaints.

Personally I’m one not listening very loud so never stumbled about any DC protection issue even with the latest firmware.

I am not listening loud too, RME set at normal RCA input level, EQ flat, and control the volume of my Yamaha WXA-50, listen at -50dB, and discover this trip, so I feed back to MC as this is a pre-test FW, the one to blame is the nasty digital signal not only at wdav, but other internet broadcast as well, this is the Digital DC protection suppose to work, as MC said: "very special and unique feature that will reveal some nasty DC sources that you never noticed so far..."

88 (edited by ning 2021-12-18 14:58:28)

The Digital DC Protection feature is the best gift RME gave me for this Christmas.
I develop software daily and experience DC from time to time due to bugs in programs.
Sometimes when it overflows it even outputs DC at full level...
I asked for this feature here https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 28#p177628
and now a month later RME surprised me with a working implementation, and it works so well!
Kudos to Matthias and the whole RME team!

I hope in the future we'll see this feature in more and more RME product lines.

ning wrote:

The Digital DC Protection feature is the best gift RME gave me for this Christmas.
I develop software daily and experience DC from time to time due to bugs in programs.
Sometimes when it overflows it even outputs DC at full level...
I asked for this feature here https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 28#p177628
and now a month later RME surprised me with a working implementation, and it works so well!
Kudos to Matthias and the whole RME team!

"If one buys RME, that customer buys into a long term relationship with the company" smile

ning wrote:

I, as a pro, have mixed feelings about this DC protection cutting off the signal.

In a live recording or broadcast situation under no circumstances you want anything to cut off your stream.
Specially not because of inaudible signals that might even be filtered out in the later stages of the audio chain.

Better a weak, distorted, or in any way broken signal than nothing, “You cannot broadcast excuses!”

> "If one buys RME, that customer buys into a long term relationship with the company" smile

that's so true. I've been spoiled.
The new firmware makes the ADI-2 feel like a new device.
Now for new device purchases or what to recommend to friends/colleagues/business partners, I don't even know what to choose other than RME...

KaiS wrote:
ning wrote:

I, as a pro, have mixed feelings about this DC protection cutting off the signal.

In a live recording or broadcast situation under no circumstances you want anything to cut off your stream.
Specially not because of inaudible signals that might even be filtered out in the later stages of the audio chain.

Better a weak, distorted, or in any way broken signal than nothing, “You cannot broadcast excuses!”

It can be disable.

KaiS wrote:

I understand that depends on what you use it for you may or may not want this feature on.
For some it may be useful to have a on/off option in the settings.
Adding it to the menu is trivial and may just take 0.5 hr engineering time.

Also, you can always have a high pass filter there, so this feature will never trigger.
(and there's way to disable the protection, you know...)

> In a live recording or broadcast situation under no circumstances you want anything to cut off your stream.

well, hardware implementation for phone is already there and you don't even feel it exist:)
In almost all situation the protection won't trigger.

How can Kai have doubts, that it is being nicely implemented by RME ;-)

Am really curious about the new firmware, something nice after vacation ... and in time before X-mas wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Am really curious about the new firmware, something nice after vacation ... and in time before X-mas wink

You didn't try the pre-test?

96 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-19 10:35:36)

ramses wrote:

ning wrote:

... well, hardware implementation for phone is already there and you don't even feel it exist:)
In almost all situation the protection won't trigger.

DC protection is more aggressive now and covers the line outs too.

Johannes AU wrote:

It can be disable.

Currently only with a secret procedure each time during power on - that doesn’t count.
In a pro environment you switch something on and suppose it works like intended.

Using an EQ band to remove possible DC isn’t a valid option too, EQ might already be occupied for another purpose.

ning wrote:

I understand that depends on what you use it for you may or may not want this feature on.
For some it may be useful to have a on/off option in the settings.
Adding it to the menu is trivial and may just take 0.5 hr engineering time.

I’d vote for a DC Protection ON/OFF menu entry too.

Johannes AU wrote:
ramses wrote:

You didn't try the pre-test?

Couldn't... was on travel.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Johannes, et al

I'm going to forward this information to Engineering at WDAV.ORG in an effort to improve upon this otherwise fine resource. 

Sorry I didn't see the latest postings a bit sooner.

Curt

'Travel': He means 'on a long deserved holiday'. Something these days has become really special (jealous me).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes, et al

I'm going to forward this information to Engineering at WDAV.ORG in an effort to improve upon this otherwise fine resource. 

Sorry I didn't see the latest postings a bit sooner.

Curt

No problem my friend smile