Topic: OctaMic II & UCX II max sample rate?

If I connect an OctaMic to the UCX via ADAT does that drop the max sample rate to 48kHz for all 16 channels?

MacBook Pro Max M1 Ventura 13.4.1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
UCX II via OWC Thunderbolt dock.
DAW - Logic

2 (edited by ramses 2021-11-24 07:10:42)

Re: OctaMic II & UCX II max sample rate?

No you can choose the sample rate as you like up to the sample rate that is supported by the recording interface and the connected preamp (here 96 kHz, see Octamic II manual).

The thing is, that ADAT only supports a certain number of channels depending on the sample rate. For higher sample rates the channels need to be multiplexed (bundled) to be able to achieve the higher bandwidth that is required for - in this case - double speed, if you want to use this.

8 channels @single speed (44.1/48 kHz)
4 channels @double speed (88.2/96 kHz)
2 channels @quad speed (up to 192 kHz)

In your setup I would stay in single speed, so that you can use all 8 Mic/Line inputs that the Octamic II offers.

I ask myself how you come to 16 channels...

The Octamic II is an 8 channel Mic preamp with two ADAT outputs supporting sample rates up to double speed (96 kHz).
The analog outputs are CUE outputs and the recorded Mic/Line signal can also be routed through 4 (stereo) AES outputs.
So the Octamic II can be used as Format converter to AES or in case you have a recording interface with AES inputs.

One AES input and Word Clock can be used for the purpose of clock synchronization according to the product information on the RME archive site: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/products/octamic_2.php

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

For 8+8 channels you will have max 48khz. Double samplerate will half the channel count and it will happen for input and output simultaneously. Obviously since UCXII will only run one exclusive samplerate.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

4 (edited by ramses 2021-11-24 07:37:38)

Happy_amateur wrote:

For 8+8 channels you will have max 48khz. Double samplerate will half the channel count and it will happen for input and output simultaneously. Obviously since UCXII will only run one exclusive samplerate.

Didn't you notice ?
He doesn't have 8+8 ch with this interface and the UCX II has only one ADAT port.
And ADAT is unidirectional ... there are input and output ports.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Well, my UCXII has two ADAT ports. One in, one out.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

6 (edited by ramses 2021-11-24 07:56:43)

Sorry, but the ADAT OUT port of the UCXII has no relevance in this setup, since the Octamic II has no ADAT IN port.
The Octamic II is a Mic Preamp, not an AD/DA converter.
It has 8 channels and these 8 channels can be only transferred in single mode or only 4ch in double speed.

UCX II +---- ADAT1 IN <----------------------- ADAT MAIN --+ Octamic II
|                                                                                               |
+---------------------- clock synch via word clock or AES ----------+

The 2nd ADAT port on the Octamic II preamp is for cases where you have a recording interface with 2 ADAT ports (2x IN and OUT). Then you can use two ADAT ports to transfer the 8 channels in double speed (88.2/96).

UFX/RayDAT/... +---- ADAT1 IN <----------------------- ADAT MAIN --+ Octamic II
|                       +---- ADAT2 IN <----------------------- ADAT AUX----+      |
|                                                                                                           |
+---------------------- clock synch via word clock or AES -------------------+

I think the OP meant something different. At 96 kHz the UCX II has a total of 16 channels. So the answer is: one can only use the one/same sample rate for everything within one unit. So using ADAT at 96 kHz requires  the analog and SPDIF I/O to be used at 96 kHz as well.

But there is no 'drop' to 48 kHz at all. This might be an OP confusion with the ADAT SMUX protocol.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ramses: Relevance depends on the question, but if the question is wrong... or at least not defined

What a fuzz! Gonna get another cup of coffe. big_smile

@MC: yup .. question was irritating
@Happy: don't worry.

MC wrote:

I think the OP meant something different. At 96 kHz the UCX II has a total of 16 channels. So the answer is: one can only use the one/same sample rate for everything within one unit. So using ADAT at 96 kHz requires  the analog and SPDIF I/O to be used at 96 kHz as well.

But there is no 'drop' to 48 kHz at all. This might be an OP confusion with the ADAT SMUX protocol.

This exactly. Sorry my question was not clearer but you read my mind. Thanks.

32GB Ram, 2TB HD
DAW - Logic

ramses wrote:

Not sure why the question was irritating to you, it shouldn’t have been. I get the impression many here are engineers and on the production side. Many of us lowly musicians aren’t as technically savvy. I’m going from really old hardware and the manuals are quite in depth. The ADAT portions indicate different sample rates over those 8 channels at full speed and I was asking for clarity. Not everyone has been using these high end systems for as long as others so if my questions are irritating just ignore them. I’ve gotten the answers I needed without your input. Cheers…

32GB Ram, 2TB HD
DAW - Logic

Cheers!

13 (edited by ramses 2021-11-25 07:33:48)

chrysalis99 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Not sure why the question was irritating to you, it shouldn’t have been. I get the impression many here are engineers and on the production side. Many of us lowly musicians aren’t as technically savvy. I’m going from really old hardware and the manuals are quite in depth. The ADAT portions indicate different sample rates over those 8 channels at full speed and I was asking for clarity. Not everyone has been using these high end systems for as long as others so if my questions are irritating just ignore them. I’ve gotten the answers I needed without your input. Cheers…

First of all, I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything bad. You seem to have got something wrong. The fact that the question was irritating or not clear is a simple observation. So please don't let this little thing spoil your day and I wish you a lot of fun with the interface.

It was irritating for me in so far as such a question has never come up in this area before. All users (even outside of this user forum) seemed to be aware that devices in a DAW project can only support one sample rate and that this sample rate runs through the whole setup of recording interface and external preamps and AD/DA converters.

The only exception to this is if there is a sample rate converter (SRC) involved. But all recording interfaces I have seen so far (even non-RME devices) do not support such a feature. The only exception is the RME "converter" (not "recording interface") ADI-2 Pro, which has a built-in SRC which is very practical in cases like connecting a DAT recorder with fix 48 kHz when you entirely work in 44.1 kHz.

If so, I would have expected the question to be different, e.g. "Can you operate a recording interface with different sample rates".

I thought that the number 16 mentioned by you had something to do with the 2x8 ADAT channels (also = 16) of the preamp (ADAT Main, ADAT Aux) because there have often been problems in understanding ADAT.

I wish you a nice day and please do not worry too much. If there is any further question from your side I am happy to answer it.