Topic: RME UCX USB Stopped Working

My RME Fireface UCX USB stopped working today.

Current setup:
Windows 10 Home
AMD Ryzen 5950x
128 gigs RAM
Radeon 6900 XT
EVGA 1000w power supply.

My UCX has been working flawlessly for years. I initially used it via firewire, but as my PC got upgraded, and firewire became a thing of the past, I started utilizing my interface via USB.

I built a new PC about a month ago and noticed I would hear audio interference coming from my USB connection from the PC to the UCX. I replaced the motherboard, the power supply, the graphics card, utilized USB wires with ferrite chokes, used multiple different outlets, different power surges. No matter what I tried, I would hear interference whenever the PC used more than 150 watts of power going to the graphics card. My last recommended solution was to purchase an iFi iDefender ground loop eliminator.

The iFi arrived today, I powered everything down, plugged it into the USB coming from the UCX, powered up the iFi and plugged it into the PC. Turned everything on and my audio interface was NOT recognized. The Host red light was on. I powered everything off, removed the iFi and plugged the UCX back into the PC. Powered everything on and the UCX is not recognized at all by the PC. Red Host light is still on. Tried the UCX with two other computers and it is not recognized via USB. I have no way of testing firewire at the moment. I made sure I am not in CC mode. I replaced the USB wires and even tried a different compatible power supply to the UCX. Nothing has worked. I live in the South FL area of the U.S. and have no idea where there is a repair person I can take it in to.

Please help.

Re: RME UCX USB Stopped Working

The iFi Defender removed the ground connection between unit and PC. This caused a big voltage spike at the USB input of the UCX which most probably destroyed either the protection circuit or the USB phy. This is a known issue for that kind of ground loop breaker.

First time someone reported it with a UCX, it's more popular with HiFi (damaging our ADI-2 series units).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The iFi Defender removed the ground connection between unit and PC. This caused a big voltage spike at the USB input of the UCX which most probably destroyed either the protection circuit or the USB phy. This is a known issue for that kind of ground loop breaker.

First time someone reported it with a UCX, it's more popular with HiFi (damaging our ADI-2 series units).

That makes me so sad. Thank you RME for 8 solid years of performance. I didnt power the iFi, considering the UCX was powered externally, but alas that could not stop the inevitable.

Do you think a firewire to USB adapter would work? Run a firewire from UCX to adapter and adapter to PC?

The UCX can be repaired. And there is no USB to FW adapter or converter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

My UCX usb connection also stopped working recently.thank goodness i have firewire port but performance not the same. Also using windows 10. Can upgrading to windows 11 help?

If this is a hardware issue, W11 won't help...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

So the problem is probably as explained by MC?
What do you suggest I do?

I have resolved my issue. Firewire & USB cable was connected at the same time. I noticed that when one was working the other wasn't. After googling I found that you are not supposed to connect both at the same time.