Topic: Adi 2 Pro as preamp questions

Hi everybody,

I have sold my vintage 2017 Adi2 Pro and bought the latest model (love the remote!!!).
In a few months' time I may invest in a power amp, which means I will need volume control between my turntable's phono pre and the power amp.
I need no eq or anything, just the purest signal possible between analog in and analog out.
Is Preamp the best possible mode for this?
What sample rate do you set it at? Factory setting is 192k.
Any choice of AD/DA filters?

Thanks a lot!!!

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-05-11 06:17:50)

Re: Adi 2 Pro as preamp questions

From the signal quality point of view, all Modes are the same.

Manual page 37 states:

Preamp Mode:
Default sample rate ... is 192 kHz, which represents the optimum in fully available DSP power and superior sonic transparency. Changing the sample rate manually is possible...

This is what makes the difference: most Modes don‘t give access to the sample rate setting.
If you don‘t need DSP you can go up to 768 kHz.
I doubt there is an audible difference, but it doesn‘t hurt either.

Filters are locked to “Slow“ for high sample rates for a reason:
It has the most natural impulse response (audible in 44.1 and 48 kHz sample rate), and it’s soft frequency response rolloff 4 or more time out of the audio band doesn’t affect the audio.

Have fun and test if you can blindly identify the different DA-Filters at 44.1 kHz, where it’s most obvious smile

Once you have your power amp you might like to look into this, for optimized settings:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

Re: Adi 2 Pro as preamp questions

KaiS wrote:

From the signal quality point of view, all Modes are the same.

Manual page 37 states:

Preamp Mode:
Default sample rate ... is 192 kHz, which represents the optimum in fully available DSP power and superior sonic transparency. Changing the sample rate manually is possible...

This is what makes the difference: most Modes don‘t give access to the sample rate setting.
If you don‘t need DSP you can go up to 768 kHz.
I doubt there is an audible difference, but it doesn‘t hurt either.

Filters are locked to “Slow“ for high sample rates for a reason:
It has the most natural impulse response (audible in 44.1 and 48 kHz sample rate), and it’s soft frequency response rolloff 4 or more time out of the audio band doesn’t affect the audio.

Once you have your power amp you might like to look into this, for optimized settings:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

Thank you so much!