Topic: Request: place volume markers in same order as the headphone outputs

I think it would be really user friendly and intuitive if the volume markers could be placed in the same order as the headphones outputs.

- Push the volume button to circle the outputs.
- At the bottom of the display the current selected hp-output is visualized.
- My brain then expects that changing the volume of the left visualized volume corresponds to the left hp-output.
- My brain does not care about the labeling or that 3/4 comes before 1/2 for the hp-outputs (the labelling of the hp-outputs are  in any case hidden by the headpones cables).

To me this make sense even if using 1/2 for monitors. But maybe the order in the display could be user configurable.

Re: Request: place volume markers in same order as the headphone outputs

@MC was this a crazy suggestion? :-)

The solution is to get another brain :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

The solution is to get another brain :-)

brain 1/2 and brain 3/4.

I've suggested me getting a new brain a couple of times, but the man upstairs (MC) won't allow it, he says that there's a risk things will be put back in the wrong order. ;-)

6 (edited by ramses 2022-06-01 06:38:44)

Seriously, what's with the request. I have thought about the following and find it rather unnecessary.

1st of all, people are creatures of habit, so it would only cause confusion if this were to be changed for these devices after so many years.

Looking at it deeper .. I don't find any mistake there at all. It all corresponds to the usual order schemes.

In terms of the importance of the connections, the main monitor (1/2) comes before the headphone outputs (3/4).
The order in the display corresponds to the numerical order "1/2, then 3/4" and "from left to right" and also regarding the point before, first main monitors, then headphones.

It is also understandable that the most frequently used headphones are on the left ("from left to right"). It also fits better visually and the cables are then a little further away from the controls.

Everything fits, IMHO really no need for a change.

I think the time and effort for coding, testing, docu change could be spend elswhere better for the advantage of customers.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

larst wrote:

- My brain does not care about the labeling or that 3/4 comes before 1/2 for the hp-outputs (the labelling of the hp-outputs are  in any case hidden by the headpones cables).

To me this make sense even if using 1/2 for monitors. But maybe the order in the display could be user configurable.

When I got my ADI-2 Pro this was one of the first things I stumbled across:
The reversed order (relative to Western read direction), PH3/4 and PH1/2, on the front panel.

The placement follows the idea to get the typical headphones plug position as much out-of-the-way as possible, when using headphones (from 3/4) AND monitors (from 1/2).

In fact, headphones plugged into PH1/2 don’t bother me too, so for me this was not the best idea.

After a while I got used to it and don’t think about it as a positional thing.
Brain burn in smile

Reversing the order of the display labelings (there are more than the one you mentioned) could help, or do further confusion, depends on your “brain burn in” status.

Yes I'm aware of the reason the physical hp-outputs are ordered like they are, and that main monitor outs are 1/2 by convention and that's all cool with me.

But when I plug in two headphones with different impedance and want to, for example, level match them (and maybe switch one of the headphones to another pair) or use one hp for myself and the other hp for a fellow musician, I want fast access to the volume. The big display might be in for example "show the input" mode so a push of the Volume button will only show the volume in the lower part in the window.

This all makes sense, except for the fact that changing the left volume level displayed, changes the volume of the right headphone. The ones whom usually just use HP-3/4 and 1/2 for monitors, won't have a problem with this I guess. But for those  whom, like me, uses both heaphones outputs this should be a no-brainer (or that's what I thought anyway).

I guess I can live with it, but its a frustrating bump in the road every time I have this scenario at hand.

9 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-01 17:11:05)

larst wrote:

But when I plug in two headphones with different impedance and want to, for example, level match them (and maybe switch one of the headphones to another pair) or use one hp for myself and the other hp for a fellow musician, I want fast access to the volume.

... its a frustrating bump in the road every time I have this scenario at hand.

This is a clear case for:

Push the “VOL” button (NOT the VOLUME control) twice to enter “Dual Volume”.

With Encoder 1 and 2 you can now change the 1/2 and 3/4 level individually , while VOLUME control sets the linked level for both.

10 (edited by ramses 2022-06-01 17:12:36)

larst wrote:

[...]
But when I plug in two headphones with different impedance and want to, for example, level match them (and maybe switch one of the headphones to another pair) or use one hp for myself and the other hp for a fellow musician, I want fast access to the volume. The big display might be in for example "show the input" mode so a push of the Volume button will only show the volume in the lower part in the window.

This all makes sense, except for the fact that changing the left volume level displayed, changes the volume of the right headphone. The ones whom usually just use HP-3/4 and 1/2 for monitors, won't have a problem with this I guess. But for those  whom, like me, uses both heaphones outputs this should be a no-brainer (or that's what I thought anyway).

I guess I can live with it, but its a frustrating bump in the road every time I have this scenario at hand.

I don't know why you have a problem adjusting the volume for 2 headphones plugged in.

If you press the volume button several times, it toggles to control volume for Ph 3/4, Ph 1/2 or "Ph 1/2 + Ph 3/4" together. And it's clearly visible in each of the display modes, for which of the two phone outputs or both together the volume control is currently active.

Just tested this with ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and fw v. 115.

- I know about and use dual volume. That is indeed a good feature.
- It's not a question of that the volume can't be changed, it's about a suggestion of how to make the unit more intuitive and user friendly. My suggestion comes after my experience with a certain scenario, which I've explained above a couple of times.

@MC what's your opinion?

I can add that the visual selection, i.e the thin frame around the selected volume, is a much faster way to see the selected output (instead of reading numbers) even when in a display mode where the big display changes and shows the outputs. So this is a suggestion about workflow, ease of use etc....

13 (edited by larst 2022-06-01 19:04:56)

@kais  I read your message carelessly! Your suggestion is a good one that I've forgot about. The order is wrong but easier to live with I think in that case! Thanks!

Unfortunately the encoders seem to loose the volume function as soon as the dualvolume display exits. Maybe there's a way around that. Time to check the manual!

I think it would help to have a LED above the output that normally shows the status and flashes when you change the volume of this output. I posted this idea in the wish list of the ADI 2/4.

Schleichhörnchen wrote:

I think it would help to have a LED above the output that normally shows the status and flashes when you change the volume of this output. I posted this idea in the wish list of the ADI 2/4.

It seems you are talking about a hardware change? That is a bit harder to do, obviously.

17 (edited by Schleichhörnchen 2022-06-01 20:43:46)

Nothing that can be done within the given hardware for sure. You need at least a revision like RME did with the models that included the remote control. For the new model with the three headphone outputs it would make it more convenient to always have an overview, especially when they add options like changing the volume of one, two or all three with or without the outputs on the back.

It's all about reading the existing information. What is the LED good for when the Volume screen title shows you the current output in big letters?

That's an obvious human issue, And I fall for it from time to time as well. All the information is there, we just have to read and not ignore it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

larst wrote:

Unfortunately the encoders seem to loose the volume function as soon as the dualvolume display exits. Maybe there's a way around that. Time to check the manual!

That statement makes no sense to me, as it would invalidate the Dual volume screen. Please give details.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

20 (edited by ramses 2022-06-02 08:07:13)

MC wrote:
larst wrote:

That statement makes no sense to me, as it would invalidate the Dual volume screen. Please give details.

I tested this and could not reproduce any issue, a clear step by step guide, best a video, is needed to fully understand his point and also the fw version in use. Mine v 115.

I usually map "toggle view" to Vol (1) key to be able to switch between the screens using the remote.
I changed it back to the default setting, then DUAL vol screen shows up again when pushing "Vol" key.
If I remember right larst plugged in two phones ? I did so, but it shouldnt matter what exactly is connected (or?).
So I should have more or less the same basic situation like larst.

Then I tried a few scenarios paying attention how the volume changes.
It is all like I posted already (#10).
Pushing the big encoder repeatedly toggles/selects either ph1/2, 3/4 or both outputs.
And the volume is being changed accordingly, no matter whether the volume screen is active or not.

I can see no issue or maybe I didn't fully understand the issue, but then I expect a better description, that is easier to understand to see the key point clearly.

BTW .. while restoring my default settings (user profile 1) I noticed, that the selection of outputs is not being restored. So when changing the volume not only the volume of main monitors is being changed (1/2) but also that of phones (3/4).
This is unwanted and not the expectation when restoring a setup. I want to keep a certain start volume for phones.
I opened this other thread for that not to hijack this one:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 90#p188190

MC wrote:
larst wrote:

I think this is the explanation you're looking for, and already found!

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35425

22 (edited by larst 2022-06-02 09:58:44)

MC wrote:

It's all about reading the existing information. What is the LED good for when the Volume screen title shows you the current output in big letters?

That's an obvious human issue, And I fall for it from time to time as well. All the information is there, we just have to read and not ignore it.

This is all about workflow and ease of use!

larst wrote:

I can add that the visual selection, i.e the thin frame around the selected volume, is a much faster way to see the selected output (instead of reading numbers) even when in a display mode where the big display changes and shows the outputs. So this is a suggestion about workflow, ease of use etc....

Especially when I'm in a studio environment with a lot of different knobs, units, people etc I do not want to read and process more information I just want to turn the correct knob with a minimum of chance of doing it wrong.. and when doing it wrong I have to undo what I did.. so there's many more steps involved.

So in my case the suggestion was to change the order of the volume markers in the display to match the HP-outputs i.e 3/4, 1/2.

ramses wrote:

I can see no issue or maybe I didn't fully understand the issue, but then I expect a better description, that is easier to understand to see the key point clearly.

Does this make things clearer for you ramses?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35425