1 (edited by larst 2022-06-01 20:45:34)

Topic: Feature request: let encoders change individual output in dual volume

It would be great if the encoders could remain the functions (of mute and) volume change, which they possess when the Dual volume screen is shown, but loose when the screen exit, even if still in dual volume mode (i.e turning the big knob affects volume of both outputs).

As far I can see bass/treble is the one thing that the encoders affect when in "top level menu" (if enabled) but bass/treble-feature is disabled in dual volume mode and therefore the encoders are free to change the volume (mute won't work out of the box, because push is used to switch screen).

Is there any reason not to make this available?

Re: Feature request: let encoders change individual output in dual volume

It goes against the whole concept of using it as it is. And it is no real issue as with the latest firmwares the Dual Volume screen comes up first when you push the VOL button. Unless you exited the Dual volume screen via a different function.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by larst 2022-06-02 09:40:29)

Against the whole concept? What do you mean... the concept of the whole unit or the concept of dual volume?

The encoders are currently not used at all in this scenario (my assumption) and to be able to reach out to turn the volume with a knob, without having to push another button first, is a super useful feature (and kind of super normal to).. it's just waiting to be used -> workflow/ease of use etc...

If I have chosen to be in dual volume mode, and like the way things work when the dual volume screen is shown, you can bet that I, as a user, do not want to push the volume button once (with the result that, for example, my input screen disappears) to adjust the volume of one of the outputs (also the dual volume screen exits after not being used for a while, correct?).

So to be able to adjust the volume of both outputs at once, and each separately, with the turn of a knob without even having to look at the unit or fiddle with buttons, or look at the unit and continue to see the screen I actually want to see, is a super feature.

So how it can be against the whole concept really intrigues me.

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-02 11:00:28)

I support the idea to:

In Main Screen with Dual Volume active,
use Encoder 1 for volume 1/2,
and Encoder 2 for volume 3/4.

It’s an add and doesn’t collide with anything.

MC wrote:

.. it would invalidate the Dual volume screen.

It’s true that the above add would dublicate the VOL screen’s DUAL mode, but I wouldn’t call this invalidate or devalue.
There is more than one access to the same parameter at several points in ADI-2’s menu.

5 (edited by ramses 2022-06-02 10:56:42)

KaiS wrote:

I support the idea to:

Well I just entered Dual Volume screen and it does this already.

Repeateable Steps:
Setup -> Options -> SPDIF/Remap Keys -> Vol (1) -> Default

1. Push Vol button (the small remappable button)
For Main 1/2 I can use
Encoder 1: for changing volume for Main 1/2
Encoder 2: for changing Balance

2. Push Vol button a 2nd time (the small remappable button)
DUAL Volume, Linked
Encoder 1: changes Volume of Main Out 1/2
Encoder 2: changes Volume of Phones Out 3/4

Isn't this exactly that what you proposed / agreed to?
Sorry if I might understand something wrong here, but to me it looks, as if this is already working like this.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-02 11:09:04)

ramses wrote:

Sorry if I might understand something wrong here, but to me it looks, as if this is already working like this.

No, it isn’t.

It’s about direct access from the Main Screen.
Saves one ore more VOL button clicks or 2-3 VOLUME Control pushes.

7 (edited by larst 2022-06-02 11:12:14)

ramses wrote:
KaiS wrote:

I support the idea to:

Well I just entered Dual Volume screen and it does this already.

Repeateable Steps:
Setup -> Options -> SPDIF/Remap Keys -> Vol (1) -> Default

1. Push Vol button (the small remappable button)
For Main 1/2 I can use
Encoder 1: for changing volume for Main 1/2
Encoder 2: for changing Balance

2. Push Vol button a 2nd time (the small remappable button)
DUAL Volume, Linked
Encoder 1: changes Volume of Main Out 1/2
Encoder 2: changes Volume of Phones Out 3/4

When in dual volume MODE the suggestion is that when the Dual volume SCREEN exits (we are still in dual volume MODE) the encoders continue to function as they did when the dual volume SCREEN was displayed.

Like this:

- Encoder 1 control the volume level of output 1/2
- Encoder 2 handle the volume level of output 3/4.
- Big volume knob handle the volume of both outputs.

- Currently turning the encoders has no function in dual volume MODE when in top level menu. Pushing them switches screen.
- If NOT in dual volume mode and T/B enabled, turning the knobs change bass/treble. This is disabled in dual volume mode.

8 (edited by larst 2022-06-03 13:23:04)

Are you onboard @ramses?

@MC to me this is more like a "forgot to enable"-feature... but you're sure it's not going to happen?

KaiS wrote:

I support the idea to:

i also think that would be a very useful feature. And as a positive side effect you wouldn't have to worry about accidentally changing the bass and treble settings.

hasan.ay386 wrote:
KaiS wrote:

I support the idea to:

i also think that would be a very useful feature. And as a positive side effect you wouldn't have to worry about accidentally changing the bass and treble settings.

In dual volume mode bass/treble is already disabled (even if enabled in "normal" mode), thats why the encoders are available to change the volume for the separate outputs without any intrusion on existing functionality in dual volume mode.

An addition would be to let double push of an encoder mute the corresponding channel when in dual volume mode in top level screen (in top level screen, single push changes screen, and when in dual volume screen a single push mutes the corresponding output).