Topic: Audinate Dante AVIO AES3 as input to ADI-2 DAC

Hi
I would like to build a proper Multiroom System with Dante. I already have a  ADI-2 DAC which I would like to connect to a Dante AVIO AES3.
Based on the ADI manual the Spdif should also work with AES3. But in forums I was also reading about the impetance which changes between the XLR AES3 vs Spdif chinch which has an impact. There fore I'm hesitating just to buy such a cable like
https://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_aes … able_3.htm
Did anyone create a similar Setup with Dante as an digital input to an ADI?
Would be great to get some feedback.
Thank you

Re: Audinate Dante AVIO AES3 as input to ADI-2 DAC

Hi
The level coming off the AES output is likely to be too high - usually 5v peak to peak, where-as SP/dif is only looking for 0.5v
Your best bet is something like the Neutrik matching transformer https://www.thomann.de/ie/neutrik_nadit_bnc_f.htm
This will take the AES in on the XLR connector then you'll need a BNC to RCA cable or adapter for the input to the RME. This will help reduce the chances of overdriving the SP/dif input

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-09 07:11:43)

modul80 wrote:

... Based on the ADI manual the Spdif should also work with AES3. But in forums I was also reading about the impetance which changes between the XLR AES3 vs Spdif chinch which has an impact.
...such a cable like
https://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_aes … able_3.htm

You can safely use this cable.

In the ADI-2 DAC‘s manual page 18 it‘s explicitly validated that it works:

Using a simple cable adapter XLR to RCA, an AES/EBU signal can be received too.

The impedance difference, 110 Ohm vs. 75 Ohm, is only relevant for long cables, > ca. 10 m.
Even then it usually works without impedance matching.

BTW:
For ADI-2 Pro users: The other way round, any SPDIF out to ADI-2’s AES in, does not work here, the SPDIF level is slightly too low to drive ADI-2’s AES input.

With some other devices I have this does work too.

ADI-2 DAC techspecs coaxial input p.52: AES/EBU compatible (AES3-1992)  I cant read this any other way than that its fully supported.

Kais: Im a bit confused here:

The other way round, any SPDIF out to ADI-2’s AES in, does not work here, the SPDIF level is slightly too low to drive ADI-2’s AES input.

There is no AES input at the ADI-2 DAC only AES compatible coaxial input. Are you talking about PRO?

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-09 07:12:38)

Happy_amateur wrote:

Kais: Im a bit confused here:

The other way round, any SPDIF out to ADI-2’s AES in, does not work here, the SPDIF level is slightly too low to drive ADI-2’s AES input.

There is no AES input at the ADI-2 DAC only AES compatible coaxial input. Are you talking about PRO?

Yes, for others reading along here.
Edited my posting accordingly.

Thanks a lot guys for your fast answers. I will order the the AVIO AES3. I'll give an update once I have it :-)