1 (edited by rossco 2022-06-07 16:37:06)

Topic: Connecting my RME ADI-2 DAC FS to an integrated amp

Hi there,

I usually use my ADI-2 DAC FS in my desktop set-up. I have it connected to a raspberry pi 4 (with ropieee for Roon) and my PC via spdif. It feeds my ADAM F5 speakers, it took some time to dial in, but I use JTS inline XLR attenuators now too which have been useful in sorting out volume challenges.

Anyway, I wondered about trying the ADI-2 in my main listening set-up, which currently has a Topping D90 DAC (again via RPI4) feeding a Musical Fidelty M6si amp via XLR before finally connecting to my Kef Reference 1 speakers. So, the amp is an integrated model but I just realised it does come with a Home Theatre (HT) mode which means, when selected, it can be controlled by an external amp/pre-amp (I think), i.e. the ADI-2. The only downside is I would have to connect via phono rather than xlr.

Anyway, any tips for set-up, particulalry volume etc? Should I definetly remove the XLR connection between the DAC and Amp, I assume I won't be able to use it. I aim not to blow my speakers up!

2 (edited by ning 2022-06-07 14:51:08)

Re: Connecting my RME ADI-2 DAC FS to an integrated amp

Don’t really understand your question. The adi-2 has same IOs (xlr/ rca out; spdif /coax/ usb in) topping d90 has (except i2s and Bluetooth that no one uses), and serves the same purpose (DA conversion). you can use adi-2 as a drop in replacement for your topping d90. If you connect the adi-2 the same way you connect your topping d90 and select similar output levels (+13 dbu for xlr and +7 dbu for rca) it won’t blow things up.

In the future I would like to try some power amps I think, some class D (hypex, purifi) or maybe even a Benchmark AHB2 and in that scenario I would use the ADI-2 as the premp etc and so wanted to test that out with my current kit. Does that make sense? At the smae time its a good opportunity to try the ADI-2 as a drop in replacement for the Topping but connected in the same way. I guess I am just tinkering really.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

This may be useful

Enjoy...

Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC FS > Nord Three 1ET400A ST > Focal Aria 936

tip of the day, leave the integrated amp on its normal line level, and set the RME ADI so that the output rms is 2V approx (to double check with your amp vendor!), that comes down to -13dbu ref level and -4,5db volume setting atop.
Volume as such should come close to your CD player etc so you can switch the channels.
Drawback of the HT setting on an amp is the same as with a power amp, that is if something goes wrong or crashes in your audio chain you will get the noise at full level, as such it may blow out your speakers and/or ears.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Thank you for the replies.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

This may be useful

Enjoy...

Thanks, I have saved this information now.

fieldstu wrote:

tip of the day, leave the integrated amp on its normal line level, and set the RME ADI so that the output rms is 2V approx (to double check with your amp vendor!), that comes down to -13dbu ref level and -4,5db volume setting atop.
Volume as such should come close to your CD player etc so you can switch the channels.
Drawback of the HT setting on an amp is the same as with a power amp, that is if something goes wrong or crashes in your audio chain you will get the noise at full level, as such it may blow out your speakers and/or ears.

Thank you - the second part of the comment did make me wince and then laugh. I would prefer not to destroy ears/speakers, has this happened to you? What is the risk? Also, I note in your signature you have a Nord Three and use it with the RME, how do you find that combination?

'' I note in your signature you have a Nord Three and use it with the RME, how do you find that combination? ''

Hello ,
The Nord Purifi goes very well with the RME Clear, clean sound
I use JTS attenuators in between
Klipsches could be upgraded to Focal,Kef,JBL or Revel but for the moment i am happy

Enjoy...

Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC FS > Nord Three 1ET400A ST > Focal Aria 936

rossco wrote:

Thank you - the second part of the comment did make me wince and then laugh. I would prefer not to destroy ears/speakers, has this happened to you? What is the risk?

Loong ago I experienced a crash of my multiface audiocard that which during its crash looped/hanged its audio buffer of 3-4ms towards to the output where I had active monitors connected to. Long story short up to today I like something on the end of the audio chain to control the volume to an assumable level. I love integrated amps for that purpose.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Yes, for that reason passive volume controls in front of the monitors are quite popular. Fortunately there is a big difference between the ADIs and the old Multiface - a big knob for volume control that won't crash. You could also use Remap Keys to make one of the 4 keys the global Mute button.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@MC is this also true for the volume control of the babyface pro (fs)?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632