Topic: My only wish for ADI-2/4 Pro SE

Hello to everyone!

After watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6txgP7xLlQ
I took the opportunity to share my only wish for the ADI-2/4 Pro SE

I would love to be able to import room/headphone correction EQ curves from measuring software such as Sonarworks (or any other free room correction software that is available) directly into the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

That would be an amazing use case for the builtin DSP, I would no longer have to rely on plugins in my mastering chain or plugins such as Sonarworks's Systemwide that mess up with system's audio drivers and usually introduces many bugs (audio dropouts etc)

Sonarworks already is doing that, check it here https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-refe … tegrations
(if i am not wrong, Sonarworks is using ADI 2 Pro for the lab measurements, so why not collaborate with them? )

I believe if this feature will implemented it would be powerful and a great reason for more RME buyers.

I would pay above MSRP just to have this feature
so please, please RME, don't ignore my suggestion, i am sure it would be a success and worthy to consider. 

Also, if its possible, do it in ADI-2/4 Pro SE not in a future product, because i can not wait! smile

2 (edited by ning 2022-06-07 16:22:46)

Re: My only wish for ADI-2/4 Pro SE

We’d like to see it in adi-2 as well

The hardware is certainly capable. RME just need to expose the settings to make it work.

smile We all have our vision for this big_smile Sounds like a good idea though. Ive been testing out some of those curves from AutoEQ. An amazing tool the ADI is. Ofcourse expectations is sky high! smile

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

I signed up here just to comment and show that this feature is definitely wanted!  If I could accurately correct my headphones or monitors from an EQ copied over from Sonarworks, I would be throwing my wallet across the table to get it.  It would literally be the perfect DAC for my, and likely many others, needs.

+1

and on this topic btw I recently switched from Sonarworks to dSONIQ Realphones (www.dsoniq.com), which for at least 8 reasons that I listed here (https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph … stcount=95), is blowing Sonarworks at all levels, so in case you go down this road with the next ADI it would be nice to team up with them they're reaallllly responsive vs. Sonarworks which is becoming an old and slow company.

It really comes as a relief since Sonarworks is full of bugs and not 100% stable (on Mac anyway), whereas not only dSONIQ interface is 5 stars but the correction with all headphones is another league, etc. it's so good I almost no longer need speakers anymore to mix and produce, finally with this I can trust my ears.

Clearly they are the future, go for it.

+1 to this!!
Or maybe RME could develop a killer room measurement software that integrates with TotalMix as well. I would switch all my hardware to RME if this were the case

Orbitaldebri wrote:

Or maybe RME could develop a killer room measurement software that integrates with TotalMix as well. I would switch all my hardware to RME if this were the case

What does that have to do with it? I buy the products that best suit my setup and demands.

Furthermore, I don't think it makes sense to unnecessarily stuff an excellent and efficient tool like TotalMix FX with features that are not necessary for its core functionality.

By the way, what do you think? Room measurement only or automatic correction as well?

If you need room measurement software, then why not just use the products available on the market, some of which are even free.

In my opinion, automatic room correction based on a measurement microphone and EQ settings has the disadvantage that it only optimizes for one listening position, but a few centimeters off, the results may already be different again.

So, why should RME waste time and energy on a solution that is not a real solution, but only a compromise and unnecessarily inflates their products?

If your only concern is to measure, then I would suggest just using the measurement software solutions already available. If you want the room to sound better, then room optimization would be more beneficial.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by spnc 2022-08-22 23:10:31)

ramses wrote:
Orbitaldebri wrote:

What does that have to do with it? I buy the products that best suit my setup and demands.

Furthermore, I don't think it makes sense to unnecessarily stuff an excellent and efficient tool like TotalMix FX with features that are not necessary for its core functionality.

By the way, what do you think? Room measurement only or automatic correction as well?

If you need room measurement software, then why not just use the products available on the market, some of which are even free.

In my opinion, automatic room correction based on a measurement microphone and EQ settings has the disadvantage that it only optimizes for one listening position, but a few centimeters off, the results may already be different again.

So, why should RME waste time and energy on a solution that is not a real solution, but only a compromise and unnecessarily inflates their products?

If your only concern is to measure, then I would suggest just using the measurement software solutions already available. If you want the room to sound better, then room optimization would be more beneficial.

Totally agree, the market is currently saturated with software correction plugins and RME really is not in this business, it's a whole new line of business with time and money investment for RME and years of development ahead as well as unsure results, I wouldn't venture into it. Better have a team of 3rd-party pros with the right equipment dedicated to it rather than RME experimenting here (you also need to buy constantly all the old and new headphones on the market, quite expensive).

@dimitrisgakis Just use dSoniq Realphones, it's the best deal on the market right now and trust me I've tried them all (Sonarworks SoundID, Morphit, CanOpener, PA Dear Reality, Re-Head, Waves NX, Audio Sienna, Slate VSX, Embody Immerse Virtual Studio, Cans2Cones4V...)

It's working and integrating totally seamlessly with RME products and TotalMix (Mac user here). No need to set up any routing with SoundSource or anything.

Collab RME/dSoniq could be interesting (not sure how this would come into play) if smooth and not adding extra menu diving/another piece of software to install. Or Sonarworks but like I pointed out they've become outdated and full of bugs over time. I'd rather stick to dSoniq which strives for the most user relevant products like RME sharing the same agile and niche spirit.

Meanwhile I'd rather have RME focused on delivering their best shot at the ADI-2/4, hopefully one day UCX III and UFX III with louder dynamic range (to match UAD), keeping TotalMix great, as well as delivering all the new exciting feature requests you guys seem to be all excited about smile

I wish for this DAC to have DSP functions to mimic Valve circuits in various modes,single ended, push pull etc.I know of no other hardware that can do this....

10 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-24 17:30:51)

owensmark wrote:

I wish for this DAC to have DSP functions to mimic Valve circuits in various modes,single ended, push pull etc.I know of no other hardware that can do this....

The expert settings of ADI-2 DAC’s ESS version allows to dial in some amount of tube-like harmonics.

Read DAC manual page 28.

My only wish for the new ADI-2/4 Pro SE is that it could have ITS OWN headphone EQ corrections.

I would trust more RME measurements and corrections than other brands. It would be a process that would take time but I think at the end of the day it could replace those software implementations and be a huge selling point for the DAC as well.

P.S: I have tried Sonarworks in the past but I am done with it. Their measurements change drastically from time to time, LCD-5 measurements for example. The software has bugs and it is just not reliable. Nuendo 12 has EQ profiles for headphones as well as Morphit (both working and sounding better than Sonarworks).

12 (edited by ramses 2022-12-15 14:13:16)

Makes IMHO not much sense. Headphones have manufacturing differences, measurement is tricky and every little change in terms of placement on your head or ear pad change makes a difference so that such profiles are questionable.
They can give you a guidance at best.

Even if RME would make such measurements it might for these reasons not match your expectations for the mentioned reasons.

The other thing is for what type of listening taste / habits / hearing capabilities to compensate for?
Neutral sound for studio work or more pleasant to the ears?

This is a not so easy topic and at the end it needs to be good for your use case (studio work or more HIFi) and your ears.

The best is to choose headphones with good sound and having to do zero or little corrections.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

13 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-15 18:56:56)

elisionmusicstudio wrote:

My only wish for the new ADI-2/4 Pro SE is that it could have ITS OWN headphone EQ corrections.

I would trust more RME measurements and corrections than other brands. It would be a process that would take time but I think at the end of the day it could replace those software implementations and be a huge selling point for the DAC as well.

There are lot‘s of sources for headphones EQ settings.

The common “standard” these days are measurements / compensations based on Sean Olive / Harman’s research.
A certain measurement rig is needed for compatible measurements, in the range of 10K$.
Therefore not every measurement published is true “Harman”, although claimed.

The most popular source is Oratory1990, with EQ settings specially tailored for ADI-2:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wi … rme_adi-2/

I’m listening right now with my AUDEZE LCD-4 using Oratory1990 EQ settings.
To taylor it to my liking, I just switched off the highest EQ band’s treble cut, which is not for me.

The EQ’s changing the LCD-4s into another headphones, tonality-wise.
No wonder, their original tuning is way apart from Harman’s.
Other qualities not tonality related, like their definition, stay, or even are brought out more.

I tried the Oratory curve with my HD600s on the 2/4 yesterday, and hated it. Promptly disabled. smile

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

15 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-17 08:18:34)

Babaluma wrote:

I tried the Oratory curve with my HD600s on the 2/4 yesterday, and hated it. Promptly disabled. smile

Yeah, some fit, some don‘t.

It‘s a very personal thing too, the interaction headphones - pinnae  is very different between various people.

A unified measurement system doesn’t do justice to everyone.
I have a silicone copy of my own ears for measurement, compensated to a very high end speakers system in a room + some schmalz.

16 (edited by Babaluma 2022-12-17 08:25:23)

Yeah agree. I have my own EQ for the HD600s from years ago (bought my pair in 2009 I think), which I need to try and adapt to the 2/4 EQ, but having said that I've done 99.9% of my listening on the HD600s without any EQ at all, and like/am used to how they sound that way. Recently I finally got around to buying new ear and head pads for them so they feel like new again. And I've never heard them sound so good as they do fed by the 2/4! I'm exploring the crossfeed options at the moment and liking the Meier one the most (number 2), but that's probably because I've always used the Meier one over the years as well.

Different preferences and what you are used to etc., as long as it works for you, that is good! I need to try my Ety ER-4XRs with the 2/4 too...

As an aside, anyone think it'd be worth me spending north of $100 on a Pentaconn cable for the HD600s or ER4-XRs, for balanced operation with the 2/4, or not worth it? I've never explored balanced cans.

17 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-17 12:55:38)

Babaluma wrote:

I've never explored balanced cans.

Not different to single ended, just the option to dial it 6 dB louder.

It’s only different if headphones are re-cabled, changing from 3-wire to 4 wire.

The resistance of the common ground wire in a 3-wire arrangement (left, right, common ground) causes phase inverted crossfeed left<>right, resulting in up to ca. 10% more stereo spread with low impedance headphones.
With high impedance headphones the effect is negligible.

It’s the opposite of ADI-2’s “Width”-parameter which only narrows the stereo field.

The Sennheisers all have 4-wire cables by design, so this won’t happen.

Yeah I'm not sure the change/improvement in performance would be worth the high cost of balanced cabling with Pentaconn connector. Very happy with how they sound now, but of course always nice to tinker with new things!

Babaluma wrote:

Oratory has done good work measuring myriad of headphones, kudos to him, but his EQ-filter sets are in many headphone model´s cases laboratory exam -looking extreme fine-tunings, not practical i.e. reproducible in real use. For many headphone models he wastes a lot of filters for very narrow Q-value notches and tiny 0,5 - 2 dB gains in high treble, for example. He apparently doesn´t take into account that almost all headphones begin to exhibit enlargening amount of variance between head insertions toward high frequencies.
Not a chance they to be reproducible in real use scenarios, where users put their headphones on and take them off for every listening session.

Rtings for example has covered this, as Frequency Response Consistency -section, in their headphone reviews. HD 600 in question, for example, goes quite unconcistent above 5 kHz. So applying EQ-filters on them goes quite lottery i.e. is not reasonable anymore. 

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/revie … ser/hd-600

In using EQ, concentrating the things that actually benefit from correction, is essential. In Sennheiser HD 600´s case, which happens to be about worlds most neutral stock headphone already, the beneficial target areas for EQ are

-sub-bass -lift. This is the most audible thing for this trusty old workhorse to get its set updated.

-upper bass / low middle little shave -down

-1.3 kHz -area little shave -down

-3.2 kHz -spike/resonance shave -down

From Oratory several Sennheiser HD 600 -curves, the recommended one is his Optimum HiFi Curve, first four filters. Rest of his curves, also that "RME ADI-2" -one, are those Harman target -bass boost curves.

Harman target curves have impressive oomph-oomph for laymans etc. hasty amateur listeners, but have not much left to do with neutral sound reproduction anymore. Their major level core-problem is, that this +5 dB from neutral lifted bass doesn´t work, if source material already has hefty bass. Result is bad listening hangover and fast resetting of those EQ-settings. If listener is not total rubberhead etc boom-boom-boom -seeker, that is.

This Optimum HiFi Curve -one instead, is applicable

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wi … f_presets/

HD600/Optimum HiFi Curve

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygs3wfnj4ntgm … 9.pdf?dl=0

Only four (4) first filters are needed/applicable. Rest goes that audio-engineer-doing-lab-exam -department, in that filter set too.

This filter set, put in in ADI´s EQ, would look like about this:

-B1: +6.0 dB, 25 Hz, Q 0.7, filter type: Shelf
-B2: -2.0 dB, 150 Hz, Q 0.5. Filter gain re-evaluated by cross-comparing (and listening) to different HD 600 -measurement sources.
-B3: -2.0 dB, 1.33 kHz, Q 1.4
-B4: -3.0 dB, 3.2 kHz, Q 2.2

Thats it. With this EQ, HD 600 is now updated to kick ass. Again, the next couple of decades.

20 (edited by MstrC-117 2022-12-17 19:34:11)

Babaluma wrote:

Yeah I'm not sure the change/improvement in performance would be worth the high cost of balanced cabling with Pentaconn connector. Very happy with how they sound now, but of course always nice to tinker with new things!

Sennheiser HD 600 takes "only" about +19-20 dBu before its drivers clip. So, no need for balanced drive for them.

Going balanced is reasonable only for headphones, which can handle more voltage than ADI´s normal Hi-Power -mode can yield (> +22 dBu). I.e. ADI´s volume control at max 0.0 dB(r), they are not yet loud enough on normal program material.

Thanks for these suggestions, I will give them a try over the next few days! The main thing I hated with the Oratory/RME DAC/HD600 curve was very tubby bass. I do actually really love how they sound flat, and always have done.

MstrC-117 wrote:

-B1: +6.0 dB, 25 Hz, Q 0.7, filter type: Shelf
-B2: -2.0 dB, 150 Hz, Q 0.5. Filter gain re-evaluated by cross-comparing (and listening) to different HD 600 -measurement sources.
-B3: -2.0 dB, 1.33 kHz, Q 1.4
-B4: -3.0 dB, 3.2 kHz, Q 2.2

Thats it. With this EQ, HD 600 is now updated to kick ass. Again, the next couple of decades.

Just tried this out and sounded subtly better for sure, thank you, definitely much better than the previous one I tried. Crossfeed on 2 and am very happy!