Topic: Ideas for connecting RCA

Hello everybody.

I am enjoying my ADI-2 DAC FS very much and it is the best piece of hifi I have ever purchased smile

Right now I am having a cd player hooked up to the coaxial and a Bluetooth reciever to the optical. I sometimes find myself wishing I could connect an analogue source from RCA to the ADI-2.

I'll was thinking if it was possible to purchase a RCA to optical SPDIF or a RCA to USB. The RCA to USB would be perfect since I don't use the USB right now.

But I have not been able to find RCA to USB converters.

I have however found a few small boxes going from RCA to optical SPDIF but I don't like them.

The units that I have found converting from RCA to optical seems super cheap and I wish I could find something with a price and quality suitable for the ADI-2 DAC FS.

Any suggestions and thoughts will be appreciated smile

Re: Ideas for connecting RCA

Cleanest solution is to get the ADI-2 Pro. You should still get a good price for the ADI-2 DAC on used market.

Whatever adapter you might get ..  it would need an A/D converter. Better get this is fine quality inside of the ADI-2 Pro.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-18 18:48:59)

otte wrote:

...The units that I have found converting from RCA to optical seems super cheap and I wish I could find something with a price and quality suitable for the ADI-2 DAC FS.

Top notch, comparable to ADI-2 DAC - there‘s not much alternative to ADI-2 Pro, it simply play’s in a league above it’s price point.

Same applies to the usability factor having it all in one box.

For occasional this and that, like a radio or cassette player, most simple AD to SPDIF (Optical and / or Coax) will do.

For Vinyl there are nice, quality solutions including a phono preamp with RIAA EQ.

USB to USB interconnect is no option, ADI-2 would not “understand” the format from an ADC, it is made for USB connection to a computer.
You need an ADC with Optical or Coax.

This thing does it all, line and phono to optical converter:

https://www.amazon.de/Pro-Ject-Optical- … 2DSTY?th=1
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41c0a9Y6aQS._AC_SX679_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/31NbaOHTx9S._AC_.jpg

Thanks for all the responses.

I agree that the adi-2 pro option being the very best, but it's out of my budget.

But the Pro-Ject box might be exactly what I am looking for. It's made by a real hifi company and not just a dirt cheap unbranded piece of hardware like the others I managed to find. The option of functioning both as phono from turntable and line in sounds good.

It should be possible to connect RCA to the 3.5mm line in right?

My ADI-2 dac fs should be able to handle both the 96 and 48 kHz sampling rate right?

Sorry for all the question I am such a noob smile

otte wrote:

It should be possible to connect RCA to the 3.5mm line in right?

My ADI-2 dac fs should be able to handle both the 96 and 48 kHz sampling rate right?

Yes to all.

You could buy an ADI-2 fs, if you could find one. Maybe used. You would have top quality AD conversion xlr and rca in(via adapter) + 2 extra digital inputs. A tad expensive perhaps.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

7 (edited by ramses 2022-06-18 22:46:41)

Happy_amateur wrote:

You could buy an ADI-2 fs, if you could find one. Maybe used. You would have top quality AD conversion xlr and rca in(via adapter) + 2 extra digital inputs. A tad expensive perhaps.

It would be less expensive to sell the ADI-2 DAC and get an ADI-2 Pro.
Additionally you would get more features by that and it is the more compact solution.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

It would be less expensive to sell the ADI-2 DAC and get an ADI-2 Pro.
Additionally you would get more features by that and it is the more compact solution.

I cant disagree to that. It would come out the same cashwise. Pro is avaliable too

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Just out of curiosity, does the pro have a coaxial digital input? It doesn't look like it on the pictures?

10 (edited by Happy_amateur 2022-06-19 09:58:26)

otte wrote:

Just out of curiosity, does the pro have a coaxial digital input? It doesn't look like it on the pictures?

Pro has coaxial and AES I/O via breakoutcable that connects to the dataport on the back. BO968: https://www.rme-audio.de/cables-adapters.html Its included with the PRO

About the PRO. At the analog inputs you can set autoreference level. So if level rises beyond clipping, Pro will automatically set input sensivity accordingly, with this you get a crude level for further adjustment to a more permanent setup. You have additional 6 db trim for each channel separeately. You have PEQ at the input, single or dual. PCM or DSD recording. No ProJect box can do this. Its a bigger investment, but my thinking is better get the good stuff now or regret later wink

I just upgraded from the DAC to PRO, had it a couple of weeks now. Im blown away by the feature set of this device. I havnt sold the DAC though Im still a bit on the fence about that big_smile

11 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-19 15:54:22)

otte wrote:

ADI-2 Pro has 5 independent inputs at hand:

• SPDIF Optical,
• SPDIF Coaxial,
• AES Digital, with an adapter (see below) even usable as SPDIF Coaxial,
• Analog,
• USB, which connects to a computer or Smartphone.

This way ADI-2 Pro can serve as a central unit for all your audio.

SPDIF to AES adapter:
https://www.thomann.de/intl/neutrik_nad … p;reload=1

https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/252629/6936680_800.jpg

Happy_amateur wrote:

I just upgraded from the DAC to PRO, had it a couple of weeks now. Im blown away by the feature set of this device. I havnt sold the DAC though Im still a bit on the fence about that big_smile

Keep them both - double fun wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

Keep them both - double fun wink

The DAC isnt going anywhere. big_smile

Thanks again for all the replies.

If money wasn't an issue I would buy the rme adi-2 fs or the pro within a blink of an eye.

But for now I think I will go for the Pro-Ject.

Signals from RCA will not be my main source anyway.

otte wrote:

Thanks again for all the replies.

If money wasn't an issue I would buy the rme adi-2 fs or the pro within a blink of an eye.

But for now I think I will go for the Pro-Ject.

Signals from RCA will not be my main source anyway.

Youre gonna be alright. The DAC will make any digital source shine to its best.

16 (edited by fieldstu 2022-06-22 03:58:30)

I would suggest (edit: not suggest) the RCA (line/phone) to USB converter from dynavox. Costs half of the pro-ject converter above + has USB output which s a plus, and the analog level pot for me would be a minus.

https://www.amazon.de/-/nl/dp/B0047N09G … 1382757031

Edit: oh help, I see the usb connection is towards a computer, that does not help as the adi dac needs a USB host device.
(also see post below)

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Does this bring any benefits to the setup ?
I am asking because of drivers. An application can only load one audio driver.
Is this sufficient ? Or do you intend to run everything class compliant (if this unit can) or only the one or the other unit?