Topic: Adi 2 PRO fs R as DA/AD with UCX II

Hello, I have Adi 2 PRO fs R and I would like to use it with a Total mix device in mixing process for processing a signal using external effects.
Is it true I can send from UCX to Adi with AES, then from Adi's Mains to external effects, then from effects to Adi's inputs, and through AES back to UCX while monitoring processed signal (analog inputs) with phones through PH 3/4 of Adi?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

2 (edited by ramses 2022-07-02 11:22:08)

Re: Adi 2 PRO fs R as DA/AD with UCX II

Could work, but I wouldn't use the ADI-2 Pro  this way.

I would use the ADI-2 Pro for the monitoring through phones and active monitors and connect the external effect using the analog inputs and outputs of your UCX II.

The quality of the analog channels of your UCX II is already excellent for adding external devices.

You have more advantages to make use of the ADI-2 Pro's features for your monitoring section
1. auto reflevel
2. 4 analog stages / ref levels to have high SNR even at lower volume settings
3. dynamic loudness is a big win when listening at lower levels
4. you can protect your ears / equipment by setting the final volume on the ADI-2 Pro. Then it doesn't harm ear/equipment if you set the output fader in TM FX accidently to 0dB. This can be supported by using attenuators to additionally fix level mismatches, see also: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by vlad.e 2022-07-02 12:08:29)

I am using Adi and just planning to buy UCX when it is available at stores.
I use Adi like this: mains to effects, inputs from effects, spdif out to Neumann 750 DSP, PH 3/4 as a sidechain signal to effects.
I like a I can selects AD filters cause they affect a signal a lot. I like AD clipping Adi can provide. I dont like I cannot control spdif volume using this setup.
Total mix device will handle digital output volume as I understand.
From the Adi manual I cannot get if it is possible to monitor wet Analog input signal in A/D D/A mode feeding dry signal to AES input at the same time.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-02 17:07:03)

vlad.e wrote:

I use Adi like this: mains to effects, inputs from effects, spdif out to Neumann 750 DSP, PH 3/4 as a sidechain signal to effects.

I think you can extend your routing capabilities a lot if you feed the effects from PH3/4.
PH3/4 has the exact same audio quality, and you free your 1/2 main output for the monitoring purposes it’s intended to, analog, digital and headphones.

Might be you don’t need UCX then, depending on your tasks.

KaiS wrote:

Might be you don’t need UCX then, depending on your tasks.

Yep! This solution is better. But I am buying UFX 2 now anyway)

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

I have just got a unique UFX II with UFX+ front panel)

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE