Topic: Win 11 only allowing 44.1k

I have installed and verified the new drivers are correct, updated the firmware, but when the ADI-2 Pro fs is plugged into my Win11 PC it only has 44.1k only choices in Sound applet and as verified on ADI-2 display.
The Realtek chipset driver allows up to 192k 24 bit.
The Auralic USB DAC driver allows up to 384k 24 bit.
The Focusrite Scarlett driver allows up to 192k 24 bit.

The issue seems to be the driver somehow...any ideas out there?
Thanks in advance!
hhoyt

2 (edited by ramses 2022-07-09 07:27:59)

Re: Win 11 only allowing 44.1k

A couple of questions to be more clear on the setup.

1. Which driver are you talking about exactly? The RME ASIO driver? Which version?

2. What do you mean with Sound applet? Which audioo driver did/could you select?

3. Could you kindly choose a more normal audio application as music player (as just a sound applet) which has also support for ASIO (RME driver) like e.g. MusicBee which support ASIO well. With the newer version (since about a year) you can playback files of different sample rates without issues. My favourite music player (I have local audio content, so I do not need a streaming application (ideally with ASIO support)).

4. Which firmware on the ADI-2 Pro FS?

5. Which audio file did you play? File type, sample rate?

6. You could also try to play RMEs shot test files (.wav) for performing the Bittest then you have at the same time an end-to-end test for lossless audio transfer. Ensure to use a suitable audio driver like RME ASIO driver or Windows WASAPI (best exclusive mode).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-09 11:17:58)

hhoyt wrote:

I have installed and verified the new drivers are correct, updated the firmware, but when the ADI-2 Pro fs is plugged into my Win11 PC it only has 44.1k only choices in Sound applet and as verified on ADI-2 display.
The issue seems to be the driver somehow...any ideas out there?

Yes, the driver is for ASIO compatible applications and firmware updates only.

De-install AND delete ADI-2’s driver if your application does not support ASIO.
Then ADI-2 is run in CC-Mode (Class Compliant Mode) with Windows built in drivers.

See and carefully follow the advice on ADI-2 Pro’s manual page 56:

De-installing the Driver

Usually a de-installation of the driver files is not necessary. Thanks to full Plug & Play support, the driver files will not be loaded after the hardware has been removed.

Windows Plug & Play methods do not cover the registration of the ASIO driver. This entry can be removed from the registry by a software de-installation request. This request can be found (like all de-installation entries) in Control Panel, Programs and Features. Click on the entry 'RME MADIface', then Uninstall.

To use Windows own Class Compliant drivers the RME driver has to be removed completely (for example after a firmware update). In Device Manager select the ADI-2 Pro under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click and choose Uninstall. In the next dialog make sure to check 'Delete the driver software for this device'. Otherwise the driver will stay within the Windows installation and gets reinstalled automatically after the next reboot.

Thank you for the replies.

The ADI-2 worked correctly in Win10, this new Win11 PC is different.  I have been using REW and Sound Forge, both which recognize the device as USB MADIface ASIO, yet sweeps and the front panel of the ADI-2 show the unit to be in 44.1 mode, no way to change.

I'll try de-installing the driver to see if Win11 native drivers perform differently and report back this week.
Thank you!
hhoyt

There is some confusing information/statements here.

- There is no difference between Windows 10 and 11. There is only one sample rate in the Sound control panel in both OS. And the reason is our driver, not the OS. Sample rate is changed via ASIO or in the MADIface USB Settings dialog.

- REW and SoundForge can use ASIO, then they can control the sample rate. If that worked on Windows 10 but not your new Windows 11 installation then a setting in these two apps must be different. You see the MF USB ASIO driver, but do these apps really use it?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi there. I had a similar issue? and I reverted it back to "normal"? literally created an account to post this.

I realized my DAC had a slightly outdated firmware as my unit did not have new the Meter Color(s) on the device, so I decided to update the firmware.

ever since I updated (I installed both driver and flash files on RME's site - https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads.html) shortly after I've noticed there was a RME software that was accessible via the mini-taskbar menu. it locked-in audio at 44,100kHz no matter which program (like foobar2000 and Audirvana, and obv I was playing some flac files above 44,100kHz). so I changed it to the highest bitrate on the RME software and it played all sounds via my laptop speakers for some reason. right after that I uninstalled the driver file from "add or remove programs" and then restarted PC. my computer didn't recognize my RME after that. I re-installed the driver software, brought it back to 44,100kHz on the RME software (brought audio back to speakers after) then I deleted driver file like I did previously via "add or remove programs"

restarted my computer a couple times during this process. but I realized my issue was fixed after Audirvana and RME DAC displayed the correct sample rate after the steps I've taken above. also had to fiddle with some settings in "change sounds settings" menu if I remember correctly.

Sorry if it's confusing but seeing how I just had the issue thought I'd just try and help.

good luck.

It is confusing as well as unrelated. The ADI can be used driverless and then shows multiple sample rates in control panel. But no ASIO then. Clearly described in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME