Topic: RME adi dac 2 - usb out?

Hey everyone

I pickup up a pair of genelec 8341s and would love to keep this RME in the chain even though it’s a dac but am aiming for a digital signal.

Is it possible to leverage the usb on the RME as an output (which would then be converted to aes) as a digital source for the genelecs? I would leverage the record functionality for my 2 digital inputs (optical and coax).

If so would volume control on the RME work? Trying to think outside the box a little bit here. Any input is appreciated.

Re: RME adi dac 2 - usb out?

ADI-2 DAC is analog out only.

The option “Loopback to USB” routes the DSPed signal back to the USB record path, but doesn’t carry volume.
A DAW might be able to route this signal back out again to an other digital output of the computer.

But - this is not a feasible solution.


ADI-2 Pro is needed for what you’re heading for.

3 (edited by ericseaberg 2022-07-24 22:54:08)

Re: RME adi dac 2 - usb out?

I have an ADI 2Pro as well as BabyFace Pro and both drive the analogue inputs of my personal 8330s.  The problem using a digital signal to feed the Genelecs occurs when you're using a DIGITAL VOLUME CONTROL and not ANALOGUE control converted to digital.  If you keep it digital you're changing the bit-depth as you change the gain.  This is exactly why my SSL C200 console has only ANALOGUE outputs to feed our Genelec 8340 monitors... the D/A conversion is extremely high and the bit-depth is retained up until it's converted.

Just use the analogue inputs to your Genelecs.

_______________________
Eric Seaberg • San Diego, CA
A.E.S. • S.M.P.T.E. • S.P.A.R.S.

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-25 00:06:40)

Re: RME adi dac 2 - usb out?

ericseaberg wrote:

This is exactly why my SSL C200 console has only ANALOGUE outputs to feed our Genelec 8340 monitors... the D/A conversion is extremely high and the bit-depth is retained up until it's converted.

But the Genelec’s analog ins are converted to digital again for the monitors internal processing.
This AD-conversion uses the same headroom, or same reduced resolution as the direct digital transfer with volume control does.

ericseaberg wrote:

Just use the analogue inputs to your Genelecs.

There‘s no other option with ADI-2 DAC anyway, and if you hear no noise there‘s at least no noise problem.


Isn‘t there an external volume controller available for the Genelecs?
Then you could run the interconnect at higher level.

5 (edited by Muffin 2022-07-25 03:14:05)

Re: RME adi dac 2 - usb out?

nikisixx21 wrote:

Hey everyone

I pickup up a pair of genelec 8341s and would love to keep this RME in the chain even though it’s a dac but am aiming for a digital signal.

Is it possible to leverage the usb on the RME as an output (which would then be converted to aes) as a digital source for the genelecs? I would leverage the record functionality for my 2 digital inputs (optical and coax).

If so would volume control on the RME work? Trying to think outside the box a little bit here. Any input is appreciated.

You'll be more than fine with using the RME ADI-2 DAC with your Genelec. I myself use the DAC with my Genelec 8330A.

You should also buy the GLM Kit as this gives you features like room EQ, adjustable standby time, volume. For your Genelec you can set the volume level in the speakers and that is the same as setting the input sensitivity for analogue input, so you can set it low as to not have too high volume at full blast. I've set it -25 dB for my speakers.

The room EQ will give a definite quality improvement. Using digital input instead of analogue, not so much.

Re: RME adi dac 2 - usb out?

Let me mention my SSL console again... when we purchased it in 2008 we were using Genelec 8040 in a 5.1 configuration.  Not quite as cool as the current config with GLM because all DSP for the 8040 was in the sub, and you HAD to use AES inputs to the sub.  I asked SSL why they didn't have an AES out for the monitor feeds and they were the ones that said it's not worth it due to loss of bit depth.  For that reason especially, Genelec made an 8-channel A/D converter for nothing else than getting AES back into the sub for DSP processing.

Just my 2-cents

_______________________
Eric Seaberg • San Diego, CA
A.E.S. • S.M.P.T.E. • S.P.A.R.S.

7 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-26 20:39:07)

Re: RME adi dac 2 - usb out?

ericseaberg wrote:

I asked SSL why they didn't have an AES out for the monitor feeds and they were the ones that said it's not worth it due to loss of bit depth.

So they found an excuse not having it.
Instead they should offer a solution to integrate (Genelec’s) remote monitor level control.
Solutions had been a strong point with SSL in former times.
At least you can find Genelecs here and there in studios with SSL.


The reality:
If you send close to full scale to the digital inputs of your Genelecs, it‘s the same like with any digital path: No loss of bit depth.

Genelec offers monitor controller solutions to control listening level in the final step after the internal DA, just before or in the multi-way power amps.

This way the digital path works in full res all through:

DAW = ADI-2 Pro = [Genelec AES in = Genelec DSP and x-over signal split = Genelec multiple DAs (1) >  Volume Control > Genelec’s speaker amps.

Digital connection: ( = )
Analog connection or interfacing to digital amps ( > )

(1) Might even be in their latest models the DA and volume control is integral part of digital power amps. The result would be similar, full resolution digital processing.