Topic: ADI-2 FS DIG & ANA simultaneously?

Hi!
Is it possible to use DIG & ANA in ADI-2 FS simultaneously?
I have another DAC and want to "clean" jiiter before this DAC, and then use ADI-2 FS as a preamp with analog volume after this DAC.
Thanks.

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-25 16:55:40)

Re: ADI-2 FS DIG & ANA simultaneously?

This would be possible if you look at the block diagram manual page 17.
Select the analog input as source for the analog output.

See manual page 11, switch:
• “ANALOG INPUT - LEVEL” to “DIG”.
• “ANALOG OUTPUT - LEVEL” to “ANA”.

Great! But what about clocking?
My other DAC has WC Input and it always sounds better when DAC is clocking it directly from WC Out of the soundcard (Lynx AES16).
Clocking from AES3 input (without connecting WC cable) sounds worse.
Since ADI-2 FS has no WC output, can I leave clocking from Lynx AES16 when I insert ADI-2 between Lynx AES16 and DAC? I think it's not correct and I have to clock from S/PDIF (or AES3) out of ADI-2 FS?

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-26 07:37:08)

DAZZER wrote:

Great! But what about clocking?
My other DAC has WC Input and it always sounds better when DAC is clocking it directly from WC Out of the soundcard (Lynx AES16).

A DAC that needs external clock to sound good is misconstructed, sell it!

Meanwhile it might still work if you keep the WC cable from Lynx connected, but then de-jittering the AES signal through ADI-2 FS doesn‘t make sense any more.
Try what sounds better, it will be a compromise anyway.

But, you don‘t want to deal with this back and forth all the time, concentrate on making music with the best possible sound, yes?!

So, finally, maybe you‘re better off replacing all that with one single RME recording interface like RME Fireface UFX II, for a clean setup.

Sometimes it’s time to go the next step and leave the outdated stuff behind.

Side-effect:
This setup becomes portable in various ways, combined with a Laptop or iPad, and the UFX II can even serve as Standalone Recorder.