Topic: Digiface Dante with USB connection only

Dear Forum,

Am I correct in thinking that the Digiface Dante cannot be used with just a USB connection to a laptop, recording MADI. ie like a Madiface USB device.

I cannot seem to get the clocking assigned to slave anywhere unless an ethernet cable is connected as well to set clock to slave. With no ethernet cable the clocking just flips between sync and lock.

Regards
David

2 (edited by ramses 2022-09-04 15:01:17)

Re: Digiface Dante with USB connection only

Hi David. Welcome to the forum.

What's unclear from your description, what device did you connect and whether it's configured as clock master or clock slave.

When looking at the Digiface Dante manual at p. 12ff, I am missing the usual possibility to configure the Clock synchronization of the Digiface Dante: to be either clock master (clock source = internal) or to act as clock slave (getting its clock from either Dante or MADI).

Did you already try to configure the connected MADI device as clock master and whether the Digiface Dante recognized the clock signal from its MADI input?

I think you know already that you also need to switch BNC I/O from WC to MADI in the driver settings.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

With the latest firmware and driver clock can be set in 'no network connected' mode. That change is not yet described in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Nice, thanks for the info.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by djspearritt 2022-09-04 22:49:28)

ramses wrote:

Hi David. Welcome to the forum.

What's unclear from your description, what device did you connect and whether it's configured as clock master or clock slave.

When looking at the Digiface Dante manual at p. 12ff, I am missing the usual possibility to configure the Clock synchronization of the Digiface Dante: to be either clock master (clock source = internal) or to act as clock slave (getting its clock from either Dante or MADI).

Did you already try to configure the connected MADI device as clock master and whether the Digiface Dante recognized the clock signal from its MADI input?

I think you know already that you also need to switch BNC I/O from WC to MADI in the driver settings.

Thanks Ramses, the upstream device is a Merging Horus feeding MADI to the Digiface. Horus is the clock master. I just want a laptop and the digiface to record that MADI as a backup. But need to set the digiface to slave. I cannot see how to get this stable without an ethernet connection.

The new change described by MC maybe the solution.

PS. I now see Sync To External checkbox and External Clock is displayed when checked, Sync/Lock is stable on Sync. Many thanks MC and team for this !

6 (edited by djspearritt 2022-09-05 11:33:26)

Still in USB mode only, no network, having some further issues with Reaper not seeing the MADI channels when recording at 96kHz (limited to 32). The first 32 enumerated channels are Dante channels, the MADI channels are not even listed.

How does one get around this so the MADI channels can be enumerated and selected? Can the Dante channel enumeration be disabled if in "no network mode"?

Are you sure you use a USB 3 cable?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Are you sure you use a USB 3 cable?

Indeed, the one that came with the Digiface Dante.

And an usb3 port

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

And an usb3 port

Yes indeed.

Let me check this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Checked, and works.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/images/dfdante_madi_networkdown.png

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks MC, mystery solved, it was the cable after all. I have two USB3 cables that look the same, one was obviously faulty, the other was the Assmann Electronic supplied with the Digiface. The faulty one would start OK, enumerating and showing the MADI channels in Reaper, then the driver would disconnect after recording for a few minutes, only showing 32 Dante Channels.

I have since tested two more USB3 cables in my possession and they are all fine.

Many thanks for your expert assistance.

Regards
David

14 (edited by djspearritt 2022-09-07 10:56:57)

Digiface Ravenna. Wow!!!!
https://www.synthax.co.uk/latest/2022/0 … -ibc-2022/