1 (edited by Sounds 2022-09-08 03:52:56)

Topic: Reason for weak output?

I have very weak output from both the phones output and the IEM output.

I am using very ordinary consumer headphones and IEM's, and forced to use quite extreme volume levels to drive them

See replies for more details

2 (edited by ramses 2022-09-07 16:30:04)

Re: Reason for weak output?

The IEM output is designed specifically for IEMs.
Nowhere in the manual does it say that you can use it as a complete replacement for all other headphones. For some it might work, but as headphones have extremely diverse specs it should be clear that it does not work in all cases.

Manual, ch 8.2:
[...] Here, there is no Extreme Power, but extreme noise freedom, with the same sensational low distortion as at the big phones output, but a maximum output level of only -3 dBu. For most (comment: not all!) users this will suffice even for ordinary headphones, in particular portable ones with the mini TRS connector.[...]

Manual, ch 10.5, IEM OUT:
This output via stereo mini-TRS is optimized for the use of high-quality IEMs, but generally works very well with portable headphones that do not require high power or voltage.
[…]
Due to the very low output voltage and output power, the IEM output does not need DC protection, overload and short circuit detection.

Manual, ch 30 technical specification, you might notice a difference in specs:
Phones
- Output level at 0 dBFS, High Power, load 100 Ohm or up: +22 dBu (10 V)
- Output level at 0 dBFS, Low Power, load 8 Ohm or up: +7 dBu (1.73 V)
- Max power @ 0.001% THD: 1.5 W per channel
IEM, as Phones, but:
- Output level at 0 dBFS: -3 dBu, 0.55 V
- Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ -3 dBu: 118 dB RMS unweighted, 121 dBA
- Max power, 8 Ohm, 0.001% THD: 40 mW per channel

What's the problem? If it doesn't work with your normal non-IEM headphones, then simply use the normal headphone output.

By the way, it would have given your post a more informative character if you had written which headphone model you connected to the IEM output. Only then it's possible to understand the issue and to explain to you, why this can't work.

BR Ramses
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub12Pro

Re: Reason for weak output?

The phones/IEM I am using:

IEM AKG N40:
20 Ohm, sensitivity: 115 dB SPL/V

Phones AKG K550

32 Ohm, sensitivity: 114 dB SPL/V

For example, I need to turn the volume to almost -10dB for the IEM to get a moderate sound

For the phones, I had to turn on high power mode to get them to sound decent.

It is very strange because these are easy to drive headphones/ in ear, even through a smartphone.

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

The phones/IEM I am using:

IEM AKG N40:
20 Ohm, sensitivity: 115 dB SPL/V

Phones AKG K550

32 Ohm, sensitivity: 114 dB SPL/V

For example, I need to turn the volume to almost -10dB for the IEM to get a moderate sound

For the phones, I had to turn on high power mode to get them to sound decent.

It is very strange because these are easy to drive headphones/ in ear, even through a smartphone.

Maybe you turned down the volume in your music player or OS?

5 (edited by Sounds 2022-09-07 17:59:00)

Re: Reason for weak output?

System setting and player is set to max. Is it normal to have to go so high in volume for such simple phones/ in-ears?
Trying to listen today, through the IEM output, i had to go to -4dB. (My hearing is good).

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-07 18:07:56)

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

The manual states that IEM output could even drive most ordinary headphones. However, when I connect regular consumer headphones with a mini jack, the signal is very quiet and weak. Using an adapter to connect to main headphone out, the sound is still very weak. Turning on the high power mode improves things, but seems unnecessary for very simple budget headphones. It is a similar situation with in ear phones, resulting in the volume having to be set to almost maximum.

Sounds wrote:

System setting and player is set to max. Is it normal to have to go so high in volume for such simple phones/ in-ears?

Absolutely no, the contrary is the case.


Set the Horizontal Meters to Pre-FX:
SETUP / Options / Display / Hor. Meter / “Pre-FX”

You will notice that ADI-2 DAC does not receive full level from your player like it should.
That‘s where the problem lies.


Be carefull:
ADI-2 has enough power to literally fry your AKG K550 - nice ‘phone BTW.

Re: Reason for weak output?

I changed the horizontal to pre-fx, not sure what to do further

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

I changed the horizontal to pre-fx, not sure what to do further

Play music, the meters should go up to full with typical contemporary pop recordings.

If they don’t, check the signal path before ADI-2:
Find the point where you did lower the volume.

Re: Reason for weak output?

Yes, the meters go to full, but the output is still very low.
I have noticed I have 2 versions of the Driver Package installed under apps and features, could this have something to do with it? Should I uninstall the older one manually?

10 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-07 18:38:27)

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

Yes, the meters go to full, but the output is still very low.
I have noticed I have 2 versions of the Driver Package installed under apps and features, could this have something to do with it? Should I uninstall the older one manually?

That’s VERY strange, and no, don’t change your system.


Do a factory reset on ADI-2 (manual page 11), maybe you screwed up something, e.g. in the EQ section:

• Unplug USB.
• power off ADI-2
• Hold VOL button (not the VOLUME dial) + Encoder1, while powering ADI-2.
• Display says “Reset Done”

Re: Reason for weak output?

If you installed drivers, then you mean the RME ASIO drivers.
Removal of older ASIO drivers is not needed. The latest will be chosen.
If you see the input signal at nearly full level, then everything should be fine.

Nevertheless, I recommend performing the “Bit test” to validate lossless transmission of audio between the player up to the DAC chip, shortly before D/A conversion. This includes checking, that also the volume didn't change, as this would change bits in the digital audio data stream.

BR Ramses
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub12Pro

Re: Reason for weak output?

Did a factory reset, unplug, restart computer... everything. Still very low output, starting to lose hope

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

Did a factory reset, unplug, restart computer... everything. Still very low output, starting to lose hope

Use the Bittest to validate lossless transmission of digital audio.

BR Ramses
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub12Pro

14 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-07 18:59:56)

Re: Reason for weak output?

One more test:

Set the Horizontal Meters to “Dual”:
SETUP / Options / Display / Hor. Meter / “Dual”
The thin outer meter bars show what cones in, the thicker inner ones what goes out.

Now plug the 6.3 to 3.5 mm adapter in, but WITHOUT THE PHONES, to simulate ‘phones being plugged.

Dial a Volume of 0 dBr.
Now outer and inner meter bars should show the exact same level.


If not, have a look at all DSP functions, EQ etc., switch them off.

Re: Reason for weak output?

Played the bit test files, did not receive "passsed" message

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

Played the bit test files, did not receive "passsed" message

Then this isn't a lossless transmission.

Which audio player did you use? Does it support ASIO drivers?
Did you select the RME ASIO driver in the player?
I recommend using the ASIO driver in this case, as it bypasses the Windows sound system fully, also the Windows Mixer.

In this audio player, you need to ensure, that playback volume is set to 100%.

Some audio players are unable to recognize / use the proper sample rate.
I assume the sample rate in your Audio Settings are 44.1 kHz.
Then you should best use the file for 44.1 kHz.

I would use MusicBee as audio player as it supports audio and chooses the proper sample rate, no matter which Bit test file you play back. https://www.getmusicbee.com/
I am not 100% sure whether ASIO support is immediately there on a fresh installation of MusicBee.
You used to have to add an ASIO extension manually.
But I think this is history now… Only wanted to mention it, if should you have issues to select the RME MADIface ASIO driver.

BR Ramses
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub12Pro

Re: Reason for weak output?

ramses wrote:
Sounds wrote:

Did a factory reset, unplug, restart computer... everything. Still very low output, starting to lose hope

Use the Bittest to validate lossless transmission of digital audio.

You already know this but the Bittest will also capture any reduction of volume (digitally) from the source.

Re: Reason for weak output?

I do use MusicBee,
I changed the preferences so that
Output: ASIO
Sound Device: ASIO MADIFace USB

The bit test file is now showing passed.
The horizontal bars on analyzer are even showing OVR for certain tracks.
However, the same problem with output ... very weak and quiet.

19 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-07 19:55:27)

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

I do use MusicBee,
The bit test file is now showing passed.

First hurdle taken.

Sounds wrote:

The horizontal bars on analyzer are even showing OVR for certain tracks.
However, the same problem with output ... very weak and quiet.

What do the inner bars of the horizontal Dual Meters show at 0 dBr Volume ?
Use the adapter ONLY, NOT the ‘phones, like supposed above.

Re: Reason for weak output?

So when I changed the horizontal to DUAL, and played music the thin bar are complete full to the same number as the volume ( I even hear distortion in the IEM?) the thick bars are very low.

Plugging in the adapter only and playing again at 0dB, the bars are the same.

Re: Reason for weak output?

It's well known that the ADI has a weak output, sadly.

Good luck.

22 (edited by Muffin 2022-09-07 20:18:51)

Re: Reason for weak output?

spnc wrote:

It's well known that the ADI has a weak output, sadly.

Good luck.

The thread is about the IEM output when not using IEM. You could try reading the thread. roll

23 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-07 21:28:59)

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

Plugging in the adapter only and playing again at 0dB, the bars are the same.

Thin and thick bars are the same then?

I plugged my AKG K-550, played Michael Jackson’s Triller:
At -40 dBr the sound became unbearable loud.
This is way down in the LoPower range, which starts 25 dB above, at -15 dBr.

Re: Reason for weak output?

No the thread is about output in general, either one, with different phones or IEM and even high power mode

Re: Reason for weak output?

I wish I knew what to say, my K550 even in high power mode, need to go to -23dB

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

No the thread is about output in general, either one, with different phones or IEM and even high power mode

Not what you said in your first post. In any case, the headphone output of the ADI-2 DAC is very powerful (except the IEM, of course) and certainly is not "weak" for the absolute majority of headphones.

Either there is some defect in your ADI-2 DAC or your headphones/cables/connections. Apparently you've checked for level problems, or?

Re: Reason for weak output?

So when the horizontal bars are set to Dual and phones are plugged in, the thin bars are 3 or 4 times longer than the thick bar.

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

I wish I knew what to say, my K550 even in high power mode, need to go to -23dB

You could start with quoting the post you are replying to as it would be easier to follow. ;-)

So, at -23dB it gets loud? I assume that you've not enabled auto ref for headphones as then it show dBr and not Db.

29 (edited by Sounds 2022-09-07 20:57:40)

Re: Reason for weak output?

Muffin wrote:
Sounds wrote:

I wish I knew what to say, my K550 even in high power mode, need to go to -23dB

You could start with quoting the post you are replying to as it would be easier to follow. ;-)

So, at -23dB it gets loud? I assume that you've not enabled auto ref for headphones as then it show dBr and not Db.

Sorry, first time on this site, pretty devastated by the unit not working for me, I was hoping there might be a simple fix.

30 (edited by Sounds 2022-09-08 03:51:30)

Re: Reason for weak output?

This is the difference between the two levels when phones plugged in and playing a track. Horizontal meter bars set to Dual
https://i.postimg.cc/sMS7BgFg/20220907-173007-1.jpg

Re: Reason for weak output?

you are using -51.5dB volume... no wonder it feels weak for you. crank the volume higher please.

32 (edited by ramses 2022-09-08 04:09:19)

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

This is the difference between the two levels when phones plugged in and playing a track. Horizontal meter bars set to Dual
https://i.postimg.cc/sMS7BgFg/20220907-173007-1.jpg

Do you know how quiet -51.5dB is compared to 0dB?
It's no wonder that you can't hear anything.

The big button in the front is a volume control. It says “Volume” under the button.
You turn it up as much as you need to. Be careful, it could get very loud towards 0dB setting.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

From Sengpiel: The psychoacoustic loudness (loudness) Note: An increase of the sound level by 6 dB corresponds to the doubling of the sound pressure. An increase of the sound level by 3 dB corresponds to the doubling of the sound intensity. A 6 dB increase in the sound level corresponds to quadrupling the sound intensity. A 10 dB increase in the "loudness level" is said to correspond to the sensation of double.

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct= … cItz5rmFo6

BR Ramses
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub12Pro

33 (edited by Sounds 2022-09-08 06:57:59)

Re: Reason for weak output?

I just took that picture to make a point about the meter reading, I understand about the volume control. In my earlier post i said i needed -4 for IEM and -23 high power for a simple headphone. Something which helps a little is turning on Auto Ref Level, but without:

Here it is at moderate listening level:

https://i.postimg.cc/4Y6nk8HW/20220907-205945.jpg

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

I just took that picture to make a point about the meter reading, I understand about the volume control. In my earlier post i said i needed -4 for IEM and -23 high power for a simple headphone.

Here it is at moderate listening level:

https://i.postimg.cc/4Y6nk8HW/20220907-205945.jpg

Do you have a multi-meter? Play a 500Hz sine wave at 0dB and measure the voltage.

Re: Reason for weak output?

KaiS: A sidenote. Do you know of an english equivalent to the sengpiel site you mention above. Only some is translated and google just doesnt do a good job with german - english or norwegian. PDF documentation is impossible.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Re: Reason for weak output?

Something is really not working properly.... a very simple IEM and a I need to push the volume very very far and it still sounds weak  and lacking low end.

https://i.postimg.cc/crbqCtrq/20220907-234125.jpg

37 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-08 09:21:00)

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

Something is really not working properly.... a very simple IEM and a I need to push the volume very very far and it still sounds weak  and lacking low end.

https://i.postimg.cc/crbqCtrq/20220907-234125.jpg

It’s well possible your unit is broken.

Took some time to find out, but at the setting from this last picture your IEM probably should be unbearable loud for an average person.

You said AKG K-550:driven from a smartphone is loud enough for you, so you probably count to these persons with average loudness demand.

BTW: the IEM out level is about what an iPhone can do.
It’s intentionally limited to this to avoid hiss with very sensitive IEMs.
Your AKG N40 doesn’t fall into this category.


As a last resort you could try a complete reset:

Unplug USB!
• Hold encoder 1, 2 and the VOL button (NOT the Volume dial!) pushed while turning on the unit, user -store Setups and EQ Presets are also reset.
• The startup screen shows Reset Done when the reset process has been successfully initiated.

Then don’t change any setting, except to set hor. meter to Dual, use your AGK K-550 (for reference, as I have it too).
Dial Volume up to the point where you can’t stand the loudness, make a photo like the one above and post it here.

Re: Reason for weak output?

KaiS wrote:
Sounds wrote:

Something is really not working properly.... a very simple IEM and a I need to push the volume very very far and it still sounds weak  and lacking low end.

https://i.postimg.cc/crbqCtrq/20220907-234125.jpg

It’s well possible your unit is broken.

Took some time to find out, but at the setting from this last picture your IEM probably should be unbearable loud for an average person.

You said AKG K-550:driven from a smartphone is loud enough for you, so you probably count to these persons with average loudness demand.

BTW: the IEM out level is about what an iPhone can do.
It’s intentionally limited to this to avoid hiss with very sensitive IEMs.
Your AKG N40 doesn’t fall into this category.


As a last resort you could try a complete reset:

Unplug USB!
• Hold encoder 1, 2 and the VOL button (NOT the Volume dial!) pushed while turning on the unit, user -store Setups and EQ Presets are also reset.
• The startup screen shows Reset Done when the reset process has been successfully initiated.

Then don’t change any setting, except to set hor. meter to Dual, use your AGK K-550 (for reference, as I have it too).
Dial Volume up to the point where you can’t stand the loudness, make a photo like the one above and post it here.


After a full reset, and using my AKG K550s... something is really not working properly.

I have no idea how anything could be broken, it is 3 days old, brand new, package did not seem damaged... not sure how anything like my computer could possibly be having an impact on the headphone amplifier output...
https://i.postimg.cc/ZvqPJtHZ/20220908-234937.jpg

Are the two bars supposed to be the same length when not using EQ or auto ref? How do they look in yours?

39 (edited by Happy_amateur 2022-09-09 09:25:51)

Re: Reason for weak output?

I have pro version, but my screen looks just like yours. Except im at -43.5. Early morning comfort level with Sennheiser HD650. For more volume i would go up to -37 to -34. Thats with JRiver mediaplayer and ASIO driver. I shut of DSP for this post. These are my sweetspot levels and I have normal hearing.

As a comparison VLC at these levels were way to low, with problem to discern dialouge. With VLC im at -24 atleast. With new LOTHR tv series This gives a good balance between speech and action scenes, nothing out of the ordinary. Stereo downmix from mch(a bit more gain). VLC volume at 110%, Correction PEQ to HP and Loudness. WDM drivers.

As you can tell there is a gap here between different software/driver setups. Volume leveling and normalization would reduce gain from JRiver as an example. I dont use that.

So if you have hit any switches in your mediaplayer I would go over those again. Check windows volume settings too.

Dual meter is explained at p.28 in manual under Horizontal meter section. You can set pre and post fx.

If someone here doesnt pop up with a bright idea for this maybe its a dealer issue.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Re: Reason for weak output?

Check whether your music content has gain tags and that automatic volume correction (to normalize volume levels across songs) is turned off.

BR Ramses
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub12Pro

Re: Reason for weak output?

> I have pro version, but my screen looks just like yours. Except im at -43.5. Early morning comfort level with Sennheiser HD650. For more volume i would go up to -37 to -34. Thats with JRiver mediaplayer and ASIO driver. I shut of DSP for this post. These are my sweetspot levels and I have normal hearing.


that's my sweet spot as well for HD600 and 650. For pop I tend to tune to -40. For classical with high dynamics I would go -30.

42 (edited by Happy_amateur 2022-09-09 11:47:37)

Re: Reason for weak output?

ning wrote:

> I have pro version, but my screen looks just like yours. Except im at -43.5. Early morning comfort level with Sennheiser HD650. For more volume i would go up to -37 to -34. Thats with JRiver mediaplayer and ASIO driver. I shut of DSP for this post. These are my sweetspot levels and I have normal hearing.


that's my sweet spot as well for HD600 and 650. For pop I tend to tune to -40. For classical with high dynamics I would go -30.

I was up in the -30 too. KaiS told me theres a -15db drop in SNR when autoreflevel tips to highpower. If I understood him right. Hence -34. I cant go over it with good conscientious now big_smile

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Re: Reason for weak output?

As long as you hear no noise a little less SNR does not harm in any way.

BR Ramses
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub12Pro

Re: Reason for weak output?

ramses wrote:

As long as you hear no noise a little less SNR does not harm in any way.

Thats true! I just got a little hung up about it, and im testing it out so.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

45 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-09 16:00:44)

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:
KaiS wrote:
Sounds wrote:

Something is really not working properly.... a very simple IEM and a I need to push the volume very very far and it still sounds weak  and lacking low end.

https://i.postimg.cc/crbqCtrq/20220907-234125.jpg

It’s well possible your unit is broken.

Took some time to find out, but at the setting from this last picture your IEM probably should be unbearable loud for an average person.

You said AKG K-550:driven from a smartphone is loud enough for you, so you probably count to these persons with average loudness demand.

BTW: the IEM out level is about what an iPhone can do.
It’s intentionally limited to this to avoid hiss with very sensitive IEMs.
Your AKG N40 doesn’t fall into this category.


As a last resort you could try a complete reset:

Unplug USB!
• Hold encoder 1, 2 and the VOL button (NOT the Volume dial!) pushed while turning on the unit, user -store Setups and EQ Presets are also reset.
• The startup screen shows Reset Done when the reset process has been successfully initiated.

Then don’t change any setting, except to set hor. meter to Dual, use your AGK K-550 (for reference, as I have it too).
Dial Volume up to the point where you can’t stand the loudness, make a photo like the one above and post it here.


After a full reset, and using my AKG K550s... something is really not working properly.

I have no idea how anything could be broken, it is 3 days old, brand new, package did not seem damaged... not sure how anything like my computer could possibly be having an impact on the headphone amplifier output...
https://i.postimg.cc/ZvqPJtHZ/20220908-234937.jpg

Are the two bars supposed to be the same length when not using EQ or auto ref? How do they look in yours?

————————
EDIT:
You don’t have Auto Ref Level ON, the lower line should show -14 dBr, not straight dB, seems it doesn’t default after reset, my fault, sorry!


(REMARK : even in LoPower I can’t stand the loudness of -14 dB with AKG K-550.)
————————

Switch on HiPower manually and try again please.
Sorry, my fault, see postings below.

Re: Reason for weak output?

Just a quick addon to your last resort KaiS.

The Picture shows db not dbr. Sorry to say I didnt see this when I said my screen was just the same. It isnt.

I you are new to this and fiddly with your encoders you could end up adjusting the wrong I/O menu whitout even noticing. A push can become a slight turn.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

47 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-09 16:05:16)

Re: Reason for weak output?

Happy_amateur wrote:

Just a quick addon to your last resort KaiS.

The Picture shows db not dbr. Sorry to say I didnt see this when I said my screen was just the same. It isnt.

After a full factory reset “Auto Ref Level” should be ON I had mistakenly thought.
The manual page 21 and 20 kind of suggest that:

Auto Ref Level
ON, Off. Default: ON.

Note: Line Out defaults to Auto Ref Level enabled. The current volume setting is then shown as dBr (dB relative), ...


EDIT:
In the manual I can see it, lower line should show dBr !


EDIT 2:
Now I found it, manual page 39:

Notes on Auto Ref Level:

...  Auto Ref on Phones will be inactive when Line Out and Phones out are set to work simultaneously and Auto Ref is enabled on Line output.

To my excuse: It’s not like this on my ADI-2 Pro.

Re: Reason for weak output?

Even turning on high power mode does not improve things much, Auto ref helps a bit, however it still sounds completely underpowered, not just lacking in volume but no dynamics and requires really going beyond reasonable dB.

My previous amp/dac connected to the same pc, with all the same settings has a headphone output of 100mW +100mW into 32 Ohm 1kHz, and drove all my headphones/ IEM's easily. So there is no reason the RME would be struggling unless there is some malfunction with the output? I am still hoping there is some easy fix we might have overlooked.

If not... not sure what to do, I have already contacted RME support.

49 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-10 07:27:28)

Re: Reason for weak output?

Sounds wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/ZvqPJtHZ/20220908-234937.jpg

Your screen looks exactly like it should, except that it’s not clear if you are on HiPower:

• You have a Volume Dial setting of -14 dB,
• music’s just hitting 0 dB (thin meter bars),
• Bold meter bars and meter figures show -14 dB.



If you’re on HiPower – at -14 dB (like in the screenshot you posted), your AKG K-550 should be extremely loud, way above what an average human can stand.


Replicating your setting, AKG K-550, -14 dBr Volume Dial:
With Michael Jackson “Thriller”,  I get an LeqA of 105 dBA (long term average) and Peaks around 125 dB SPL!

Power-wise this would peak close to the max. the AKG K-550 can take without breaking.

No way to put this on my ears.


My guess is,
• either you are half-deaf (and from your other posting I really don’t think so),
• or your ADI-2 DAC is broken in the DAC chip/analog part.


Get it replaced !



BTW: if your AKG K-550’s ear-pads are already flaking black pits, get the pads replaced, as deteriorated pads largely comprises their bass response.

Re: Reason for weak output?

KaiS wrote:
Sounds wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/ZvqPJtHZ/20220908-234937.jpg

Your screen looks exactly like it should, except that it’s not clear if you are on HiPower:

• You have a Volume Dial setting of -14 dB,
• music’s just hitting 0 dB (thin meter bars),
• Bold meter bars and meter figures show -14 dB.



If you’re on HiPower – at -14 dB (like in the screenshot you posted), your AKG K-550 should be extremely loud, way above what an average human can stand.


Replicating your setting, AKG K-550, -14 dBr Volume Dial:
With Michael Jackson “Thriller”,  I get an LeqA of 105 dBA (long term average) and Peaks around 125 dB SPL!

Power-wise this would peak close to the max. the AKG K-550 can take without breaking.

No way to put this on my ears.


My guess is,
• either you are half-deaf (and from your other posting I really don’t think so),
• or your ADI-2 DAC is broken in the DAC chip/analog part.


Get it replaced !



BTW: if your AKG K-550’s ear-pads are already flaking black pits, get the pads replaced, as deteriorated pads largely comprises their bass response.

In that particular picture, it was on low power and no auto-ref.