1 (edited by xongar 2022-09-08 19:46:26)

Topic: ADI-2 DAC output level compatible with Focal monitors?

I'm about to buy a ADI-2 DAC but I'm worried about the output level, namely, on Focal Trio6 monitors, I can set the input level to +4dBu or -10dBV, but ADI-2 DAC specs say that there are only +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu levels. Are these two compatible?

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-09 06:49:22)

Re: ADI-2 DAC output level compatible with Focal monitors?

xongar wrote:

I'm about to buy a ADI-2 DAC but I'm worried about the output level, namely, on Focal Trio6 monitors, I can set the input level to +4dBu or -10dBV, but ADI-2 DAC specs say that there are only +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu levels. Are these two compatible?

Yes, of course.
The figures don’t need to fit exactly anyway.
On the monitor this is a “nominal” level to achieve the reference loudness.
The monitor can even take same level above.

ADI-2 has a clever feature called “Auto Reference Level”.

When turning the Volume Dial ADI-2 automatically selects the best reference level to fit to various destinations.
You, as a user, don’t need to care about levels at all.

This way ADI-2’s signal quality always exceeds those of even the best power amps and active speakers.

3 (edited by xongar 2022-09-09 14:40:03)

Thank you!

I have another question: Do you think that I'm going to hear a big difference in sound quality upgrading from Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd gen)? Also, is there a difference that can be heard between Pro and DAC version or the Pro version only has more features?

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-09 15:18:14)

I just have the ADI-2 Pro, no DAC, no Focusrite, so can‘t compare.

From my experience there are minor differences between DACs, and ADI-2 has features to tailor the sound others don‘t have.

The only way to find out if you personally hear a difference is, get an ADI-2 for testing.
Don‘t believe in other’s opinions, not even mine smile
The net is full of mumbo-jumbo.

Just think about what features you need before.
In a recording situation the RME UFX / UCX line of interfaces is much better suited.
I wouldn’t want to build a studio around an ADI-2 (or Scarlett) as central unit.