Topic: Babyface Pro FS vs Fireface UCX II

Hi, I'm starting a Twitch/You-Tube channel, and I'm trying to decide on an external audio interface. I'm trying to decide between the Babyface Pro FS and the Fireface, but I'm very much an audio-novice and I'm not really sure what the difference in recorded audio quality would be. My main concern is the audio quality, but I'm not sure if the Fireface has better audio quality, or just more channels/features not really relevant to me. I've heard some say that the audio quality is the same, but I wanted to confirm this before making any purchases.
Does anyone know what the difference between the recorded audio between the two is, if there is one? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Babyface Pro FS vs Fireface UCX II

The Babyface is more than enough for most uses, even high level professional use.
I doubt you need anything the Fireface has to offer for what you want, and it would add unnecessary complexity for you.

3 (edited by ramses 2022-10-17 06:48:58)

Besides the different number of channels, both interfaces also have a different feature set.

The Babyface Pro FS also has mobility in mind and is the only interface that can be powered via the USB2 port (or with the optionally available power supply).

The UCX II has many additional features such as a complete implementation of the FX chip, Autoset, DURec and has the preamp section of the flagship interface UFX II with 75 dB gain range (with some minor differences, see specs).
This can be useful in recording situations with a not so sensitive dynamic microphone.

Even if you are a beginner in recording, I wouldn't say it's overkill to choose the UCX II over the BBF Pro FS because the UCX II really offers very useful features.
DURec offers the security of a backup recording parallel to the DAW recording, so that nothing is lost even if the PC/DAW hangs.
And in the stand-alone mode, you can use the UCX II like a tape deck and import the tracks later in the DAW.

On the other hand, the Babyface Pro FS already offers a superb quality that is completely sufficient. You just have to think about what it's worth to you.
In any case, the UCX II is an excellent alternative to the two flagship interfaces and can already do a lot.

An expandability of the solution might also be desired at some point. Then, for example, you could always integrate additional mic or line ports via ADAT and still have the AES port free to integrate the ADI-2 DAC or Pro reference converter.

Buying too small is not worth it, either. I like to plan with reserves, on the long run you can also save money, and you have more possibilities from the beginning = higher fun factor.

You can compare the USB/FW/TB recording interfaces using the Excel from my Blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … B-MADIfac/
Direct Link to Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … 4-08-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Garfieldwxg55 2022-09-22 06:19:37)

Thanks for the help! May I ask what the flagship interfaces you were referring to were? Thanks again smile

5 (edited by ramses 2022-09-22 06:47:59)

Garfieldwxg55 wrote:

Thanks for the help! May I ask what the flagship interfaces you were referring to were? Thanks again smile

For USB/FW/TB based interfaces these:

UFX     (30 ch. I/O, USB2, FW400) 2010 - 2016, out of production

UFX+ (94ch I/O, TB, USB3/2, MADI), 2016 - now
UFX II  (+) (30 ch. I/O, USB2), 2016, 2017 - now

(+) UFX II is the same as UFX+ but without MADI and without USB3/TB (for 30ch USB2 is sufficient)

You find them all in the above mentioned Excel.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your help! I took a look at the Excel, and I noticed the MADIFace XT model which I was not previously aware of, would that be a better choice to get the best possible audio recording quality? Thanks again for your help!

7 (edited by ramses 2022-09-24 07:39:29)

The quality of A/D and D/A converters is generally quite high these days. I would focus more on what connectivity/expansion options and features you need.

RME doesn't have any special “house sound”. The devices are designed to record and play back audio unaltered in high quality. The sound is characterized as “transparent” not coloring, which is good, nothing should be added to the sound.
A few dB SNR more reduce the noise measurable, but these are all no criteria that have a direct or audible influence on the sound during playback.

It is not so much the AD/DA converter itself that is responsible for the playback quality, it is the combination of the converter and the analog amplification stage behind the converter.

I'm a bit surprised how you now specifically come to the MADIface XT. This recording interface has a special position because of the very high number of channels through the three MADI busses, so you can connect plenty of devices via MADI. But do you need this feature?

Then take a look at the UFX II, which was released a few years later, is even a bit cheaper and offers some advantages: higher number of I/O ports, which can be used directly. In 2017, there were also faster converters available on the market for the design of this product, which is always good for monitoring or routing on the audio interface.
The microphone inputs can even be used as instrument inputs (Hi-Z). The microphone inputs also have a higher gain range. You have features like Autoset and DURec. You can also connect the recording interface via USB2, which is available on all computers and in contrast to USB3 even allows cable lengths up to 5 m, which allows you to position the recording interface and computer more flexibly. The UFX II also has a built-in Real-Time Clock, so that DURec recordings directly to disk or USB stick always have a correct time stamp.

In your case, I would look at the features and see that the solution is still in a well manageable range for you also from price perspective.

I would concentrate the USB interface selection on the following products: Babyface Pro FS, UCX II, UFX II.

Furthermore, an excellent solution is the combination of recording interface and the reference converter, for example UCX II and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. This would give you plenty of possibilities and also very nice features for monitoring via monitors or headphones, see these two blog articles that I wrote regarding this topic, which provide you more information.
You can add the ADI-2 Pro through AES and then you have still 1x ADAT I/O left to add e.g., more preamps later, if needed.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

So … If you do not require the many I/O channels of UFX II or UFX+, then save a little money by considering the purchase of the UCX II to get already excellent quality. Then I guess the chances are higher that some money is left, to add the ADI-2 Pro now or in the near future.

I am using a combination of
— UFX+, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in the recording corner and 12Mic, Octamic XTC for mobile recording applications
— ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in the HiFi Corner, where the 2nd ADI-2 Pro is connected to the UFX+ through ADAT. Then I can record from HiFi or TV and use the PC as Music Player.

If you're still on the fence, the one advantage that the RME UCX II has is 6 physical outputs so you can work in 5.1 surround is that is on your horizon. I am no expert but I doubt there is any difference in "audio quality", however you want to measure that. All RME interfaces are top notch and their support is leading in class.

www.summeroflovemusic.com
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2039241