Topic: UFX+ clocking setup with 2x ADAT AD & 1x MADI AD/DA

Hi,
I'm running a UFX+ as my main interface, with 2x grace m108 (8x mic pre) AD over ADAT and a 16ch Ferrofish Pulse AD/DA over MADI.

The UFX+ is the clock source, with everything syncing over either ADAT or MADI, no wordclock BNC.

Is this the optimal setup? ..or should I be syncing the two ADAT units to the UFX+ via wordclock?

Also, since this ADAT setup is limited to a sample rate of 44.1/48.  Would it be worth trying to connect one of the Grace units using both ADATs (SMUX2) for a 96khz sample rate and then use the 2x available ADAT ports on the Ferrofish (MADI) unit for the 2nd ADAT unit (also in SMUX2).. ?

I assume in that situation I'd want to sync the connected units via wordclock..?

Thanks!

Re: UFX+ clocking setup with 2x ADAT AD & 1x MADI AD/DA

Syncing through ADAT is fully sufficient. Use WC only in cases where you need it, e.g., if an external preamp has no matching digital input port (ADAT, SPDIF, AES, MADI …) to receive the clock signal from main interface.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Syncing through ADAT is fully sufficient. Use WC only in cases where you need it, e.g., if an external preamp has no matching digital input port (ADAT, SPDIF, AES, MADI …) to receive the clock signal from main interface.

Thank you!

I should have experimented a little more first, because this is exactly what I found. Wish I would have figured that out before asking for help.

Thank you again!
Very kindly
Michael

No problem Michael, I am glad that you found it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13