Topic: ADI-2 PRO FS R Headphone correction software

Primary using the ADI-2 pro fs r for music production, monitoring, mixing, and mastering purposes. I primarily use headphones to mix and master following in the footsteps of renowned mastering engineers such as Glenn Schick who masters 100% in headphones and in the box. With the ADI-2 pro fs r ability to set EQ curves and Crossfeed emulations internally, I should be able to do away with headphone correction software such as Sonarworks and Goodhertz Can opener. I really wish there were more videos and tutorials geared at engineers who use the ADI-2 pro in this way. It would be nice if there were a way to copy headphone correction curves from Sonarworks directly into the ADI-2 pro for a flat frequency response for mixing. I tried manually doing it by pulling up the curve on the software and visually trying to match it up on the ADI-2 pro. It sounded close but not close enough for me. I'm also currently researching the 5 crossfeed effect built into the ADI-2 PRO FS  to see which is the best one for mixing and mastering in headphones.  If anyone had any experience, thoughts, or ideas on this matter id be happy to hear them.

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-25 21:38:36)

Re: ADI-2 PRO FS R Headphone correction software

I‘m using a measurement software to transfer otherwise incompatible EQ settings (1).

Any audio measurement software will do - I use AudioTools by Andrew Smith for iDevices:
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/audiotools/id325307477

For best accuracy measurements are done in the electrical (not acoustical) domain.

Remark:
(1) There are different ways to built an equalizer, e.g:
• Algorithmical like in ADI-2.
• FFT-based.
• Based on convolution / impulse response.
.. to name the most common.

As these are based on different principles it’s not possible to just transfer their parameters to another one.

Then there are minimum phase EQs (phase and frequency response are naturally coupled), and linear phase EQs, where phase and frequency response are independent.
These sound very different in the time domain, specially in the bass range Linear Phase EQ’s pre-echo can sound very strange.

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-25 22:52:03)

Re: ADI-2 PRO FS R Headphone correction software

If you like to mix on headphones the first thing you need to find are ‘phones that fit to you.
The only criterion is: do the mix/master results transfer to the outside world in the way you want them to.

EQ on the ‘phones can help to finally tailor, fine tune them, but before the base already needs to fit, EQ can’t fix the basics.

Cost should be no objectiv, and this time I do mean the fitting ‘phones need NOT to be expensive smile
Opposed to internet mumbo-jumbo that suggest that only $5K ‘phones with $10K cables driven by $20k amps (or has it been the other way round?) are needed for a half-decent sound.

With headphones there is no strict price/quality relationship.

E.g. I did the mix of one of my own album productions (not a client ones) completely on Hifiman HE-4XX - $150 ‘phones - without EQ.
Not because I want to save - I already have ‘phones costing 30 time as much.
The HE-4XX pointed me into the right direction, confirmed by listening on various in-studio and outside systems.

The idea was, to use the shortfall ALL ‘phones have in common, compared to speakers - lack of taktile bass - as incentive to find ways to fill that gap, work around it.

Look for chameleon headphones:

That sound punchy with punchy mixes, flat with flat ones, sharp with ...
you get the picture, simply real and natural FOR YOU!
Don’t believe other’s recommendations, every individual has it’s own reception of sound.